Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #541
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post

I put in radiant heat (gas fired). The garage is 50 feet long, so the pipe and shroud are about 40 feet long (I left if 5 feet short on either end). Anyway, the heater is 100,000 BTU and works just great. I keep my garage warmer (about 15 deg C), as I have my treadmill and exercise equipment in it, and I'm using it all the time. I would highly recommend this type of system.

I agree with Fuzz though, the sprint from the garage to the house isn't great in this type of weather especially after you have been working out for an hour and you are soaked with sweat.
Random thread bump lead me to see this- wow that's gotta be a couple hundred thousand worth of lumber these days, am I right? lol
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #542
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what mudding? what taping? i'll likely give it a quick layer of mud, and wipe with a sponge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Painting makes such a huge difference, particularly if your walls are old and yellow. Was the mudding and taping done well, or is it a clumpy disaster?
Old 04-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #543
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

usually they mud and tape(poorly)...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #544
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If its attached, mudding and taping (1 layer) has been required by code since at least the 80s. Can't speak to unattached, but generally anything goes in that case.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #545
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so after about 15 years of having unpainted drywall in my garage, I decided this weekend that sometime over the next few weeks I am going to paint the inside of my garage. I am thinking a medium grey tone with either black or red trim

some parts of this job will be easy, while others will make me cry, and there will be some spots I can't get into.

I hope I don't regret taking on this task; however, months of watching guys reno their garage on Youtube have made me want to do this.
This paint job took me a couple weeks, 24x36, one wall at a time working around 2 cars and a ton of crap! haha. Whoever thinks OSB walls are a good idea has never painted them. What a nightmare and no way to make the joints look good, the paint actually brings them out. Drywall would be so much nicer. Anyway I think it turned out pretty awesome, I was going for a GT 350 tribute with the stripe.

Last edited by speede5; 04-26-2021 at 11:23 PM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #546
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so after about 15 years of having unpainted drywall in my garage, I decided this weekend that sometime over the next few weeks I am going to paint the inside of my garage. I am thinking a medium grey tone with either black or red trim

some parts of this job will be easy, while others will make me cry, and there will be some spots I can't get into.

I hope I don't regret taking on this task; however, months of watching guys reno their garage on Youtube have made me want to do this.
This paint job took me a couple weeks, 24x36, one wall at a time working around 2 cars and a ton of crap! haha. Whoever thinks OSB walls are a good idea has never painted them. What a nightmare and no way to make the joints look good, the paint actually brings them out. Drywall would be so much nicer. Anyway I think it turned out pretty awesome, I was going for a GT 350 tribute with the stripe.

Last edited by speede5; 04-26-2021 at 11:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #547
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost went OSB walls, but decided I wasn't sure if I could make them look not ghetto. Yours came out pretty well!

I see you have a lift waiting for installation...
Old 04-27-2021, 07:20 AM   #548
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
If its attached, mudding and taping (1 layer) has been required by code since at least the 80s. Can't speak to unattached, but generally anything goes in that case.
1998 house here, apparently your quoted code only applies to where it's common with the house interior?
Side walls and front half of ceiling are not done.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #549
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I almost went OSB walls, but decided I wasn't sure if I could make them look not ghetto. Yours came out pretty well!

I see you have a lift waiting for installation...
All installed! dream come true, so tired of crawling on the floor. It's a tight squeeze with 10 ft ceilings but it works for me.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #550
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
All installed! dream come true, so tired of crawling on the floor. It's a tight squeeze with 10 ft ceilings but it works for me.

12 year old you just got his first erection. That’s a major adult life achievement.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #551
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

This guy garages.

Just need a cat and all complete.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #552
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to know how he did it, it's because he's got SUCCESS written on his bonnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #553
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually erected it and did the full install myself, during a 14 day quarantine. Each post is ~750 lbs, so I used physics to my advantage, moved them into place with my engine crane and got them up to about a 45' angle, then pushed them the rest of the way. Hardest part was getting the balancing cables adjusted, and I expect they will need another adjustment after a few lifts.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #554
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the lighting in that garage. What did you use?

Also that garage is massive and awesome.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #555
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I like the lighting in that garage. What did you use?

Also that garage is massive and awesome.
https://www.amazon.ca/Fixture-Integr...d_bap_d_rp_9_i

So nice and bright, easy to install, the only thing is you can see each led if you look at them direct and it's a bit hard on the eyes, not that you stare at them but my brother in law got some with translucent tubes instead of clear and it's much easier on the eyes. I have 10 8ft tubes in a 24x36 and it's ample.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 02:52 AM   #556
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks to be about a 78 Camaro? Nice.

My first car was a 76 Firebird Formula with a 400. Man I wish I had kept it.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #557
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Looks to be about a 78 Camaro? Nice.

My first car was a 76 Firebird Formula with a 400. Man I wish I had kept it.
79, very close to a 78 with a few minor changes. They are great cars but I struggle with keeping it, as much as I like it I rarely drive it. It's a real nice driver, not show quality by any means. haha
Old 05-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #558
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did you do anything to your pad to reinforce it for the lift? We're pouring a garage pad soon and was curious if this was something to consider for the future. No plans for a lift at the moment but we'll have 12' ceilings so I'd like to keep the option open.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #559
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Did you do anything to your pad to reinforce it for the lift? We're pouring a garage pad soon and was curious if this was something to consider for the future. No plans for a lift at the moment but we'll have 12' ceilings so I'd like to keep the option open.
No the garage was built when I bought the house and the concrete is not as deep as it should be. The bad thing about my budget lift is the chinese/engilish instructions, which depending where you read them, tell you you need 4" or sometime 5" minimum thickness and I think 3000 mpa.

So I only have a bit over 4" concrete. Which is not ideal, you should have at least an inch beyond your hole depth where you are installing the posts and it should extend outward ~30". So if you know where you are going to locate the lift you could integrate footings into your pour.

I drilled my holes 4" after the first one punched through at about 4.25" Then I added concrete anchor epoxy with the expanding anchors. there are 5 3/4" anchors on each post, and the concrete is pretty level, i did need a few shims. I am not worried in the slightest that this lift will go anywhere. I won't test it to the limit, cars mostly, maybe I'll lift a truck but only a couple feet off the floor. And if I sell the place I will take it out or at least mention all that to the seller. Plus watching for cracks, which I haven't seen.

So long story to say yes you need to plan ahead. Consider rebar too, I didn't hit any but you want to leave enough room for the anchors.

Funny the bendpak instructions for the 2 post say 4" concrete, I would say 5 min

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/tw...-lifts/xpr-9s/
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:51 AM   #560
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
How are you doing your trusses so with a 15' max peak you're getting 12' at the edges? I'm curious how people are pulling this off with the slope requirement.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####