Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 09:28 AM   #5941
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started renovations on my condo this week. Kitchen, living room, dry bar, entryway, and common bathroom.

I don't even want to talk about the overall cost of this thing. I told my wife, its not so much the money being spent, but the fact that its a condo and the likelihood of recouping any of the cost in a sale is slim.

But, we just love the area and don't see us leaving for another decade.

Ill keep everyone posted on our contractor and let you know if recommended in future. He came recommended from our interior designer and seems like a good guy. Slow start, but that is due to the condo board dragging their feet on approval.

For new appliances, we ended up going mostly with Fisher & Paykel for the price and comparable. It was mostly between that and Bosch for most appliances. Prices were similar, and the internet seemed to rate them relatively the same; but the look of F&P won out for now. The price of integrated refrigerators is atrocious

Last edited by Cappy; 03-27-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 09:44 AM   #5942
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Pics when done!

Nice, yeah if you plan to be there to enjoy it then do it. If you wait and have to do improvements before selling to get market price at that point anyway might as well do it sooner and enjoy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:43 AM   #5943
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Started renovations on my condo this week. Kitchen, living room, dry bar, entryway, and common bathroom.

I don't even want to talk about the overall cost of this thing. I told my wife, its not so much the money being spent, but the fact that its a condo and the likelihood of recouping any of the cost in a sale is slim.

But, we just love the area and don't see us leaving for another decade.

Ill keep everyone posted on our contractor and let you know if recommended in future. He came recommended from our interior designer and seems like a good guy. Slow start, but that is due to the condo board dragging their feet on approval.

For new appliances, we ended up going mostly with Fisher & Paykel for the price and comparable. It was mostly between that and Bosch for most appliances. Prices were similar, and the internet seemed to rate them relatively the same; but the look of F&P won out for now. The price of integrated refrigerators is atrocious
Condo renos can be tough and can tend to drag. When we did ours it just seemed like a bunch of extra hoops to go through (board, restricted hours for construction, booking elevators and loading bays, etc). You are right though, if you see yourself there long term, it is worth it. There is a lot to be said for living in a location you love. I know for us, moving downtown from the suburbs gives us an extra 40 hours a month not having to commute with everything at our door step.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #5944
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Condo renos can be tough and can tend to drag. When we did ours it just seemed like a bunch of extra hoops to go through (board, restricted hours for construction, booking elevators and loading bays, etc). You are right though, if you see yourself there long term, it is worth it. There is a lot to be said for living in a location you love. I know for us, moving downtown from the suburbs gives us an extra 40 hours a month not having to commute with everything at our door step.
we are about 2 weeks delayed just on board approval alone. Plus i think there is a hidden premium you pay contractors for condos for all the headache.

Still we are going to make it work. worst case scenario, we have some family in the burbs we can stay with *shudder*
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:50 PM   #5945
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We used them a few years ago and despite a few installation issues, which they’ve addressed in a fairly timely manner - not super fast but at least they kept us in the loop about the status and ETA, etc, we are very happy. Get a lot of compliments about the front entry door.
Lux is isially 1-3% more expensive than the cheapest quote, but if you have an issue, they'll sort it out basically no questions asked. Other providers I've heard of some frustratingly long fights.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:46 AM   #5946
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are refinishing our hardwood floors and need to temporarily remove all furniture, appliances, piano, etc. Can anyone recommend a company to do this?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:46 PM   #5947
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We are refinishing our hardwood floors and need to temporarily remove all furniture, appliances, piano, etc. Can anyone recommend a company to do this?
Not to move but to store, I rented a sea can from Rental Containers.ca and it went smooth as silk and was a brand new container. $141.75 per month rental and I think $135 to deliver and pick up.

Seems a bit sketch to be honest but was cheapest and showed up on time with a good unit.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #5948
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We used them a few years ago and despite a few installation issues, which they’ve addressed in a fairly timely manner - not super fast but at least they kept us in the loop about the status and ETA, etc, we are very happy. Get a lot of compliments about the front entry door.
One of our neighbours used Lux to replace all of their windows in 2022, said they had numerous install issues, along with scratched glass that Lux vehemently contested (felt Lux were trying to blame the scratches on them). They said stay far away from Lux. Two other homes on our street used Cossins to replace their windows last year and were very happy with them. Like any service provider, individual results may vary.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:44 AM   #5949
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
One of our neighbours used Lux to replace all of their windows in 2022, said they had numerous install issues, along with scratched glass that Lux vehemently contested (felt Lux were trying to blame the scratches on them). They said stay far away from Lux. Two other homes on our street used Cossins to replace their windows last year and were very happy with them. Like any service provider, individual results may vary.
We used Lux around the same time. No issues with the windows. We did not have Lux install them however. Biggest issue we had was delivery time - took about 19 weeks. We kind of knew that beforehand but it was still a bit of a hurdle to work around in our reno.

We got a preliminary quote from Cossins as well and they were not even in the same stratosphere - significantly more expensive (>25%). So indeed, individual results may vary!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:07 AM   #5950
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

We used Western Windows to replace 3x north facing windows with the federal loan, some minor miscommunications in install which they fixed, very happy with the windows now.
Noticeable difference in comfort vs the previous windows.

We got quotes originally from Lux, Centra, Western Windows. We were actually going to go with Centra but their sales guy ghosted me when I accepted their quote.
"hello, I would like to give you money and accept your quote". no response. Contact the office, "we'll ask him to contact you". Still nothing. Emailed again. Still nothing. So strange.

Last edited by Torture; 04-03-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:36 PM   #5951
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I own a early 60's home and my water pressure goes a lot lower when 2 showers are on at the same time or the washer or dishwasher is running. Is there a fix to this? Or just something I have to live with owning such a old house?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:25 PM   #5952
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What size line comes into the house? Mine is a 1955 and has 3/4" in, but had 1/2" everywhere after the meter. If yours is like that you could have it upsized.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:37 PM   #5953
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What size line comes into the house? Mine is a 1955 and has 3/4" in, but had 1/2" everywhere after the meter. If yours is like that you could have it upsized.
Honestly have no idea but I bet that is the same for my house. I'll have to get a plumber to check that out for me.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:58 PM   #5954
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Honestly have no idea but I bet that is the same for my house. I'll have to get a plumber to check that out for me.
I'm sure it's half inch, based on age of home. Depending on style of home, it could be relatively cheap or pretty expensive to run new, larger lines. A bungalow with an unfinished basement is low end. Two story with finished basement is high end.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:23 PM   #5955
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'm sure it's half inch, based on age of home. Depending on style of home, it could be relatively cheap or pretty expensive to run new, larger lines. A bungalow with an unfinished basement is low end. Two story with finished basement is high end.
Yeah had a plumber come have a look and it's actually 5/8th. He said would be between 20k-30k and better to just put a pump.

It's not too bad so probably will go with the pump option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 09:13 AM   #5956
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything I should familiarize myself with when I chat with the utilities company about upgrading my service from 100A to 200A?

Yes, I'm aware being able to touch your toes reduces the pain a little.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:12 AM   #5957
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Anything I should familiarize myself with when I chat with the utilities company about upgrading my service from 100A to 200A?

They won't likely need to do anything. They 'own' the wires until it hits your home (mast on roof or service box if underground). If overhead just will need to meet all current requirements for height, etc. All that is probably good already. From there the rest is all you (your electrician). Make sure service from there (that will feed your new panel) is copper and of sufficient guage, but any reputable electrician will do that anyway. And you child really didn't want to go to college anyway...

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 04-07-2024 at 06:14 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 07:54 PM   #5958
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Planning to put a bedroom in our 2005 built home.
Do we have to change the basement windows and make the window openings bigger to be compliant for egress or is our current window opening “grandfathered” as it was compliant when we built it?
Thank you
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:59 PM   #5959
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Assuming your house is underground fed, yeah honestly not much to know aside from any type of lubricants you may be allergic to. Hopefully the transformer feeding your house is close to your property, the further away the transformer is the more expensive it will be.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 08:38 PM   #5960
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

How foolish would it be for me to put a L2 charger in (say a 30-40 amp breaker), and just set it to charge at 16amps? I have 100a service. I feel like this should be fine, and I’d just set the timer to charge overnight, but maybe I’m out to lunch!

(And by “me” putting this in, I mean an electrician doing that for me)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote