Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #1801
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Grrr Felix, you can't miss that 2nd serve return sitter at 6-5

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #1802
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix was up 5-2 in the second set tie-break and loses it 10-8. Just some terrible errors from Felix when he was so close to levelling the match.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #1803
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Grrr Felix, you can't miss that 2nd serve return sitter at 6-5
He did it multiple times. I mean, that serve was so slow that I could get it back in play.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #1804
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
You said the only people that would be on the side of the tournament are Piers Morgan types. You've labeled anyone that disagrees with you as someone that is as idiotic and extreme as that.
I wasn't talking about you or any other anonymous forum members, silly. GirlySports was posting quotes from major tennis personalities from May 30 as evidence that the biggest voices in the sport were largely united against Osaka. that may have been the case as we were dealing with incomplete information, even I was still sort of in the bold strategy cotton opinion about it.

but after things escalated so rapidly yesterday and Osaka explained how she has felt the past 3 years, there's been a change in the discussion amongst those same big names, and most of what I've seen since is encouragement and support. the exceptions are mostly going to be limited to the hot take artists from outside the tennis world, they're going to stick to their guns for the clicks and retweets rather than doing any reflection on it.

if you're a Piers Morgan fan I apologize for offending, he just came to mind first since we were talking about him earlier. I don't have much more to add, so yes I also look forward to discussing actual tennis with you, if you're willing.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #1805
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up 30-love and just some some inexcusable errors from Felix to lose four straight points. He's going to go down in straight sets to Seppi, isn't he?
Old 06-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #1806
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I wasn't talking about you or any other anonymous forum members, silly. GirlySports was posting quotes from major tennis personalities from May 30 as evidence that the biggest voices in the sport were largely united against Osaka. that may have been the case as we were dealing with incomplete information, even I was still sort of in the bold strategy cotton opinion about it.

but after things escalated so rapidly yesterday and Osaka explained how she has felt the past 3 years, there's been a change in the discussion amongst those same big names, and most of what I've seen since is encouragement and support. the exceptions are mostly going to be limited to the hot take artists from outside the tennis world, they're going to stick to their guns for the clicks and retweets rather than doing any reflection on it.

if you're a Piers Morgan fan I apologize for offending, he just came to mind first since we were talking about him earlier. I don't have much more to add, so yes I also look forward to discussing actual tennis with you, if you're willing.
I'm not sure it's changed that much the next day. Here is yesterday's podcast with Carillo. I think the players etc... are paying lip service to mental health but from what I've read, I don't think they buy it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1399576165443117056

Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #1807
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, Seppi is playing quite well, he's hitting some flat ropes that is giving Felix all kinds of trouble.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #1808
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

It slipped my mind that Leylah and Gabby are playing together. It's going to be a busy Wednesday for Leylah.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #1809
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think the players etc... are paying lip service to mental health but from what I've read, I don't think they buy it.
if this is true, that's a bad state to be in. whether or not you believe Osaka has real issues, there's athletes out there that are suffering silently and almost certainly without the same financial cushion or lines of support. Osaka is their voice right now so it's better if she's taken seriously, for the good of all players.

media obligations won't go away and nor should they, but I hope the eventual outcome is better preparation and support for those that need it. the old school of "tough it out" is going away not just in tennis but across all sports and entertainment businesses, whether people like it or not.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #1810
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, Felix showing some fighting spirit and gets back on serve in set 3.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #1811
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
if this is true, that's a bad state to be in. whether or not you believe Osaka has real issues, there's athletes out there that are suffering silently and almost certainly without the same financial cushion or lines of support. Osaka is their voice right now so it's better if she's taken seriously, for the good of all players.

media obligations won't go away and nor should they, but I hope the eventual outcome is better preparation and support for those that need it. the old school of "tough it out" is going away not just in tennis but across all sports and entertainment businesses, whether people like it or not.
Yes that's true. But some of the arguments are that tennis isn't a 'tough it out' sport anymore. They don't have to suffer silently. The WTA has mental health and psychology programs, which has escalated due to COVID. They don't dispute Osaka's health problems, they just feel she could have handled it better. For example, she didn't have to outright declare in public that she wasn't doing press. She could have taken it day by day and talk to people behind the scenes, look I'm really not comfortable right now.

Players are upset, this is Nadal's statement. Read between the lines.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #1812
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you arguing that she handled this with candor and empathy in a way that brings the right attention to mental health issues?

IMO her approach trivialized the issue, actually making it worse for others instead of being a "voice".
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #1813
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennis is a funny sport, Seppi was serving at 4-2 and looked like he was going to close out the match with no problems, 15 minutes later, Felix has won the 3rd set 6-4
Old 06-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #1814
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Are you arguing that she handled this with candor and empathy in a way that brings the right attention to mental health issues?

IMO her approach trivialized the issue, actually making it worse for others instead of being a "voice".
I think her approach was clunky and ripe for misinterpretation, and that was proven true by the initial reactions from around the sport. I agree with GS as suggested below. but the girl in her early 20's vaulted into the global spotlight is probably not going to always make the best strategic choices. that's going to be a common issue across all forms of entertainment. my expectation is that she'll learn and get better. either way, the conversation is front and centre now on every sports website so I can't see how we're worse off now than a week ago with regards to awareness.

Quote:
They don't dispute Osaka's health problems, they just feel she could have handled it better. For example, she didn't have to outright declare in public that she wasn't doing press. She could have taken it day by day and talk to people behind the scenes, look I'm really not comfortable right now.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #1815
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Players are upset, this is Nadal's statement. Read between the lines.
he said this before Osaka's withdrawal. I would like to know his and other top players thoughts today on it, maybe we'll get some.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #1816
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
he said this before Osaka's withdrawal. I would like to know his and other top players thoughts today on it, maybe we'll get some.
True. He has press today after his match, we'll see if he gets asked.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #1817
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Rublev is out! One less landmine for Nadal

Old 06-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #1818
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess he didn't have the right Struff today.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #1819
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the guy who has literally won 99% of his matches here definitely has to worry about landmines...
Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #1820
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Can we just pencil in Tsitsipas into the French Open final? That bottom half is not good, the top half is completely stacked. Nadal may have to play Sinner, Rublev, Djokovic and Tsitsipas to get #21 yikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yes the guy who has literally won 99% of his matches here definitely has to worry about landmines...
I'm quoting Nadal Fan himself!