Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2024, 11:32 AM   #41
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t get the appeal of Chychrun since we already have a shot at keeping Hanifin.

And this just shows how elusive the tank turnaround is. Wasn’t Giroux supposed to be their magical veteran fairy dust to straighten out the team?
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:34 AM   #42
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Sorry I don't agree, Ottawa has been in the rebuild stage for many years.

Flames have not yet started their "retool"

Senators are now viewing themselves are ready to take the next step (i.e. they are buyers, adding players like Giroux, Tarasenko, etc.)
I believe it cost them nothing except money for Tarasenko and Girioux
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 11:51 AM   #43
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Chychryn is a bit like Hamonic before the Flames got him. He's been hyped as a number one defenceman on a ultra value contract. In reality he's nowhere close to that and his contract dollar value is okay, but he's more the offensive type who can put up good point totals, but isn't particularly good defensively. I can see why they would want to add Tanev to their group as that trio of Sandrrson, Chabot, and Chychryn need a real leader. I think a lot of teams could use him to help stabilize their younger D cores, so maybe trading for him now to keep him off the market is the thought process.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 01:55 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev for Tkachuk.

"Come to Calgary...we have a history of ruining little brothers' lives! We're good at it."

*Maniacal Laugh*

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:59 PM   #45
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems to me like Ottawa just wanted to get their tampering started early this year.

If Tanev is traded and offered an extension by his new team he knows knows Ottawa will be there on July 1 with an offer.

P.s not picking on Ottawa, tampering is a joke in this league.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:00 PM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM   #47
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Chychryn is a bit like Hamonic before the Flames got him. He's been hyped as a number one defenceman on a ultra value contract. In reality he's nowhere close to that and his contract dollar value is okay, but he's more the offensive type who can put up good point totals, but isn't particularly good defensively. I can see why they would want to add Tanev to their group as that trio of Sandrrson, Chabot, and Chychryn need a real leader. I think a lot of teams could use him to help stabilize their younger D cores, so maybe trading for him now to keep him off the market is the thought process.
I think he's a completely different D than Hamonic. I would compare him to Andersson, with Chychrun being a lot more injury prone. IMO Chychrun has the better shot, but Andersson creates more plays offensively. In fact, I think Chychrun just clocked a 107mph slapper in a Sens skill competition.

As far as Chychrun's defensive play, he generally has a good stick, a good gap, and he can use his body to separate forwards away from the puck. I think he sometimes gets caught in no-mans land when looking to generate offense, and if a forward manages to drag the puck past his stick check, then he gets passed Chychrun pretty easily.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 05:15 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think he's a completely different D than Hamonic. I would compare him to Andersson, with Chychrun being a lot more injury prone. IMO Chychrun has the better shot, but Andersson creates more plays offensively. In fact, I think Chychrun just clocked a 107mph slapper in a Sens skill competition.

As far as Chychrun's defensive play, he generally has a good stick, a good gap, and he can use his body to separate forwards away from the puck. I think he sometimes gets caught in no-mans land when looking to generate offense, and if a forward manages to drag the puck past his stick check, then he gets passed Chychrun pretty easily.
That was not my point at all.

Stylistically these two are nothing alike.

It's the situation where a defenceman from a team that doesn't get a lot of airplay in Canada has a reputation and so called cheap termed contract. Canadian based team pays a premium price to acquire, and doesn't get what they paid a premium price for. Like DeBrincant, they will likely end up moving him for less than they paid after playing 0 playoff games. The type of move than holds teams back when you look back 7 years down the road.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:32 PM   #49
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That was not my point at all.

Stylistically these two are nothing alike.

It's the situation where a defenceman from a team that doesn't get a lot of airplay in Canada has a reputation and so called cheap termed contract. Canadian based team pays a premium price to acquire, and doesn't get what they paid a premium price for. Like DeBrincant, they will likely end up moving him for less than they paid after playing 0 playoff games. The type of move than holds teams back when you look back 7 years down the road.
Yes, I see where you're coming from. If the Sens end up moving Chychrun then I'm sure you're right. That's the same situation we had with Toffoli. You get less for having less term on the contract. Personally, I think the Sens should keep Chychrun, and move Chabot.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:23 AM   #50
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

On the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning, Friedman clarified that he doesn't think Ottawa would be going for Tanev this year but that they haven't given up on the idea of getting him. That they could convince him they would be a contender.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:28 AM   #51
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

we don't want Chychrun. He's the next PLD
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:32 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
we don't want Chychrun. He's the next PLD
The difference is that Chychrun makes a pretty average salary and is only signed for one year after this one. The Flames are thin on D and will need some stopgaps in a rebuild. You take Chychrun and trade him for more picks next year's TDL, or maybe even on draft day this summer.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 02:35 PM   #53
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The difference is that Chychrun makes a pretty average salary and is only signed for one year after this one. The Flames are thin on D and will need some stopgaps in a rebuild. You take Chychrun and trade him for more picks next year's TDL, or maybe even on draft day this summer.
Its pretty dire for next season. We have Weegar and Andersson. Maybe Kylington comes back.

Depending on what happens with trades etc, next season is shaping up to be ugly. This team is going to get clobbered.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 02:40 PM   #54
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
On the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning, Friedman clarified that he doesn't think Ottawa would be going for Tanev this year but that they haven't given up on the idea of getting him. That they could convince him they would be a contender.
Ya, Ottawa would make it a sign and trade to get ahead of Tanev hitting UFA this summer.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:36 PM   #55
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

On insider trading Dreger says of late the Senators have the most interest in Tanev.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...-right~2857177

Would have to sign Tanev to an extension after acquiring him, but a lot will depend on whether Tanev wants to chase a cup.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:38 PM   #56
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Its pretty dire for next season. We have Weegar and Andersson. Maybe Kylington comes back.

Depending on what happens with trades etc, next season is shaping up to be ugly. This team is going to get clobbered.
They have a bit of time to fill out the blue line
Old 01-30-2024, 04:41 PM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

It's almost as if the team is.....rebuilding.

The Flames are going to have 3-6 rookies and sophomore season players in the forward group. Their getting clobbered no matter what. Hopefully clobbered enough to get a top 5 pick.

I'd like to see them move Coleman and Marstrom too, to make the clobbering complete and get a top 3 pick.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
On insider trading Dreger says of late the Senators have the most interest in Tanev.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...-right~2857177

Would have to sign Tanev to an extension after acquiring him, but a lot will depend on whether Tanev wants to chase a cup.
With Nonis on staff Dregs will have the scoops again.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:24 AM   #59
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

LeBrun says there are other non-playoff teams beside Ottawa that have shown interest in Tanev if an extension is in play.

https://theathletic.com/5239762/2024...shared_article

Quote:
It’s very interesting to hear, from both Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger over the past few days, that the Senators have interest in pending UFA blueliner Chris Tanev.

It is something that catches one off guard for the obvious reason: The Sens aren’t playoff-bound. But this is about beyond this season, obviously. Sens GM Steve Staios is on record saying he’s scouring the market looking for veteran, pro, leadership guys, and Tanev screams all of that.

But as Dreger pointed out during our Insider Trading segment on TSN Tuesday evening, an important question to ask is: Does Tanev want to chase a Stanley Cup? He controls part of his fate with a 10-team no-trade list. If he decides he’s focused on playoff teams, the Senators would have to wait until the summer to try on him.

I would also say this: Tanev is pretty much on almost every playoff team’s working wish list ahead of March 8. That doesn’t mean they’ll all make offers, but he’s in every front-office discussion regarding defensemen.

And it’s not just Ottawa among the non-playoff teams that has shown interest. There are other non-playoff teams looking ahead to July 1 if an extension is in play.

Of course, the Flames have yet to 100 percent decide they’re moving Tanev. But they are certainly taking calls.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:31 AM   #60
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh we better be moving Tanev. I true bidding frenzy for a 34 YO stay at home D would be absolutely unreal to pull off. I love Tanev but he would be wasted on this roster and needs to be utilized to kickstart the retool/rebuild.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote