Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #241
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Calgary volunteer fair paused their plans for an in-person fair on April 30 citing rising covid cases. This seems like a massive overreaction given that workplaces are now returning to the office, Flames games are running at full capacity etc.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-v...bers-1.5850624
Perhaps running games at full capacity is actually massively irresponsible, but, you know, money.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #242
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary volunteer fair paused their plans for an in-person fair on April 30 citing rising covid cases. This seems like a massive overreaction given that workplaces are now returning to the office, Flames games are running at full capacity etc.

We're in another wave for sure, we had it last week, and my coworker the week before. There's basically no surveillance by the government now so no one knows how widespread things are. Canada is now testing around 1.5/1,000 per capita per day, and that's the national average, so Alberta is probably a fraction of that. Only indicator is the sewage monitoring that shows a climb in the last couple of weeks, eclipsing the waves prior to Omicron.

Last edited by burn_this_city; 04-06-2022 at 01:42 PM.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:56 PM   #243
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tired of talking about Omicron? OK, meet Xe.

Quote:
Mumbai’s city administration reported India’s first case of the highly-transmissible coronavirus variant, XE, on Wednesday.
The hybrid of two omicron strains BA.1 and BA.2 was detected in a 50-year-old woman who had traveled to the city from South Africa in February, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said in a statement.
The asymptomatic patient had no cormorbidities and had been quarantined after being diagnosed almost a month later in March, the BMC said.

Read: China Variants and Omicron XE Put Fresh Focus on Covid Mutations
The hybrid strain, which was first detected in the U.K., could be the most transmissible variant yet, according to the World Health Organization. It is estimated to spread 10% more easily than BA.2, which itself was more transmissible than original omicron.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rmed-in-mumbai

Dammit. Go away.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #244
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t understand your comment in the slightest. Workplaces and Flames games being full will only add to the growth…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #245
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Dammit. Go away.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they skipping the news conference this week? Data updated.

• 990 In hospital +26
  • 44 In intensive care* -3
  • 4,104 Deaths +30
https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-i...albertans.aspx

Wastewater looks stable for Calgary.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #247
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
are they skipping the news conference this week?
https://twitter.com/user/status/1511818677733117955
Old 04-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So selfish churches not only waste our tax dollars, they delay us getting information. #### them so hard. I hope get stuck with court costs and have to sell their church and land, and are never heard from again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #249
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
A lady at my work said she caught Covid only a month after previously getting it.

This is absolutely occurring. I know for a fact that people are catching it again within 4 - 6 weeks.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #250
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
This is absolutely occurring. I know for a fact that people are catching it again within 4 - 6 weeks.
Denmark has about 5% reinfection rate through the pandemic.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #251
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Denmark has about 5% reinfection rate through the pandemic.
Guess I'm fortunate I got covid 90+ days, 2 weeks ago I worked with someone in my staff unmasked for two days, chatted, ate together, two days later she gets covid symptoms me nothing.

Sent from my SM-A105M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:51 PM   #252
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this opinion article is extremely relevant:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opi...ovid-19-debate
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:47 AM   #253
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
I think this opinion article is extremely relevant:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opi...ovid-19-debate
Quote:
As COVID-19 recedes, many strident voices continue to call for ongoing restrictions — mainly on such social media platforms as Twitter. These fiercest proponents of “COVID-zero” need to acquiesce that the coronavirus is here to stay, variant upon variant. To be fair to this group, in the early days of the pandemic, they believed wholeheartedly that COVID-19 could be eliminated, as did the WHO and the Public Health Agency of Canada. Unfortunately, this was the only accepted perspective until recently.
Well it does start with a ridiculous strawman so we know it’s a national post opinion piece. Covid zero was never the only acceptable perspective in Canada. It was rejected by Canada in everywhere but the maritimes.

Quote:
Let’s explore the “misinformation” trope: it is applied unfairly when people have used their best interpretation of the facts to arrive at a conclusion that is later disproven. These are errors, usually honest ones (recall the initial enthusiasm for chloroquine and ivermectin as COVID-19 treatments).
This isn’t a realistic retelling of invermecyux or chloroquine. Any responsible person reporting on a early possible link had it well hedged.

So I have stopped reading the opinion piece. Does it get better?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 06:49 AM   #254
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
sucks. I was strolling around without a care thinking I was good for 90 days or so after I had it

I'm mostly without a mask now, but I'm still social distancing and keeping my hands clean.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #255
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are sounding pretty bleak in the UK. Between high infection rates and a huge number of absences, it looks like the NHS is again having some pretty serious issues including:
  • they've passed their January 2022 peak for hospitalizations.
  • some hospitals in Yorkshire have warned people to stay away from emergency rooms unless they are in "genuine, life-threatening situations.”
  • An ambulance trust serving 7M people had to begin to triage their services and were having issues handling the 999 (their 911) call volumes.
  • hospitals in Hampshire and Isle of Wight have had to try to discharge infectious COVID positive patients early in order to create room for new patients.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ical-incidents

Hopefully not a preview of what we'll be dealing with soon, but it's hard to see how we won't. They have a higher vaccination/booster rate and likely have a higher level of prior infections.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #256
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Tired of talking about Omicron? OK, meet Xe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rmed-in-mumbai

Dammit. Go away.
Narrator: It did not go away.

Not sure what you are expecting to occur. Variants will continue forever. This is endemic, vaccines are not effective at preventing infection, and reinfection with Omicron and its subvariants are happening much quicker then ever before regardless of vaccination status.

Multiple boosters also show no benefit as per new studies and is a fruitless endeavor.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-wanes-quickly

Omicron targeted vaccines seem to offer little additional effectiveness against infection over current vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00003-y

Endemic reality: We may get seasonal boosters with the season's more prevalent variants to give us an 30-40% vaccine effectiveness against infections for circulating variants like we do for the seasonal flu. People will die, others will get complications, we will get seasons that are worse then others.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #257
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not expecting my desire to have it go away actually be reality. I get it. I can still be annoyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 10:19 AM   #258
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it sucks that this is going to be around for awhile. It’s a nasty little thing. The entire time I had it, I kept thinking how grateful I was to be vaccinated or it might be truly terrifying. Here I am, 5 days into my second infection, symptoms mostly resolved except for a terrible fatigue/brain fog that is lingering.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #259
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Multiple boosters also show no benefit as per new studies and is a fruitless endeavor.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-wanes-quickly
No benefit? That's an odd takeaway given that the study found that 60+ year olds with 4 doses had rates of severe disease approximately 75-80% lower than 60+ year olds with 3 doses. That's a massive improvement. I'm baffled how you could come that conclusion.
Quote:
Omicron targeted vaccines seem to offer little additional effectiveness against infection over current vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00003-y
Good thing we're not macaques or mice. Animal studies can be useful, but using them to suggest that there's no benefit to updated vaccines is ridiculous when we haven't seen the results of any human trials. Particularly when basing that solely on antibody titres and ignoring the length of protection. There are tons of possibilities still:

-humans will respond differently than animals (human tests showed prior variant-specific vaccines being effective)
-antibody titres might be similar between the old vaccine and the new one, but duration of protection and cellular immunity will be better and broader with the Omicron booster (which will help against Omicron offshoots)
-given how different Omicron is from the ancestral strain, it might take multiple exposures (either 2 doses or an infection and a dose) to get adequate protection.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #260
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
No benefit? That's an odd takeaway given that the study found that 60+ year olds with 4 doses had rates of severe disease approximately 75-80% lower than 60+ year olds with 3 doses. That's a massive improvement. I'm baffled how you could come that conclusion.
Sorry I should have clarified against infection as I was talking exclusively about infection in my post. For severe illness it remains to be seen if effectiveness wanes after time but so far it does provide a noticeable benefit against severe illness which is definitely a plus. Older people should most definitely take a 4th shot.

Quote:
Good thing we're not macaques or mice. Animal studies can be useful, but using them to suggest that there's no benefit to updated vaccines is ridiculous when we haven't seen the results of any human trials. Particularly when basing that solely on antibody titres and ignoring the length of protection. There are tons of possibilities still:

-humans will respond differently than animals (human tests showed prior variant-specific vaccines being effective)
-antibody titres might be similar between the old vaccine and the new one, but duration of protection and cellular immunity will be better and broader with the Omicron booster (which will help against Omicron offshoots)
-given how different Omicron is from the ancestral strain, it might take multiple exposures (either 2 doses or an infection and a dose) to get adequate protection.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...l-studies-mrna

Quote:
“Collectively, these preclinical results, combined with our clinical data collected to date, continue to support the promise and validity of our mRNA-based vaccine program against SARS-CoV-2 and selection of the BNT162b2 candidate, which we believe has the potential to prevent many millions of COVID-19 cases,” said Kathrin U. Jansen, Ph.D., Senior Vice President and Head of Vaccine Research & Development, Pfizer. “We are encouraged by the data thus far and confident in our progress towards developing a safe and effective vaccine candidate to help address this current pandemic.”
Vaccine studies on animals has always been a staple of vaccine testing and was a significant factor for testing that gave us our current covid vaccines.

Needless to say, the results specific to animal testing with Omicron were disappointing comparatively. We have yet to see the results of the human clinical trials. The results may be positive news, or may confirm what was seen in animal testing.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ns-2022-03-30/

Main point being, that covid will remain with us and there is no silver bullet for its current iterations which means we will continue to get infections as new variants continue to arise. That we still heavily negated hospitalizations and deaths with vaccines and continue to do so is a significant win.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote