Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #1961
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Zverev gets a lifeline with the match suspended. Fritz should have pushed for a Centre Court close, he had Zverev on the ropes.
You could be right Senator, but I think Zverev has more experience with five set matches than Fritz and Taylor will benefit from the rest knowing that he can go all-out tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #1962
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Zverev gets a lifeline with the match suspended. Fritz should have pushed for a Centre Court close, he had Zverev on the ropes.
And right on cue, Zverev looks to be destined to leave another major ahead of the 4th round....ouch.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #1963
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's effing ridiculous that a grand slam doesn't have lights. What is this? Wrigley?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #1964
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe they're not allowed to keep playing after a certain hour due to neighborhood bylaws or something. the grounds are in the middle of a fairly peaceful suburb. that being said, a total momentum reversal in a match split over two days is one of the most predictable things in tennis, and it's often unfair for the guy who was in the zone but then won't be...plus his opponent getting the chance for video breakdown and coaching.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #1965
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is effing ridiculous Wimbledon distinguishes between Ms. and Mrs. when introducing female players instead of you know just using their name like the men.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #1966
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 years ago today.....

Looks like Zverev will win today, good on him for using the rain delay to reset and come back stronger. Kids a star, I don't understand the hate he gets.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #1967
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Looks like Zverev will win today, good on him for using the rain delay to reset and come back stronger. Kids a star, I don't understand the hate he gets.
Because he's not, no matter how badly the ATP wants us to believe he is? Nice player outside majors (you know, the biggest stage that makes stars?), but if he's a star than by default Shapovalov is already a bigger star. He should be out with another humiliating major performance, but got a gift instead. Doesn't really sound like a star to me.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #1968
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will get the results in majors eventually, he's only 21. Federer didn't win his first major until 22, Djokovic didn't win his first until he was 21. He's also beaten Federer, Djokovic and if not for a rain delay he certainly had the momentum against Nadal in an ATP1000 final, how many people can say that. He's by far the best of the next generation, and there is no one even close to him right now. He's currently 3rd in the world which isn't too shabby either.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #1969
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Geez, that didn't take long, safe to say Taylor's game was on the fritz today?
Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #1970
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He will get the results in majors eventually, he's only 21. Federer didn't win his first major until 22, Djokovic didn't win his first until he was 21. He's also beaten Federer, Djokovic and if not for a rain delay he certainly had the momentum against Nadal in an ATP1000 final, how many people can say that. He's by far the best of the next generation, and there is no one even close to him right now. He's currently 3rd in the world which isn't too shabby either.
Yeah Fed and Djokovic had actually beaten a couple top 10 opponents by then, and weren't consistently struggling to beat Challenger-level opponents. Remember he has one win in a major against a top 50 opponent, it's not like he's consistently making runs to the QFs and just losing to better opponents. If not for rain yesterday, he'd have another loss to a Challenger-level opponent.

If he becomes a star by earning it, great. But his play in majors in the last year is worse than Sam Querrey's. Tough for me to consider that a star. Maybe budding star (which is still laughable) is a better phrase.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #1971
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah Fed and Djokovic had actually beaten a couple top 10 opponents by then, and weren't consistently struggling to beat Challenger-level opponents. Remember he has one win in a major against a top 50 opponent, it's not like he's consistently making runs to the QFs and just losing to better opponents. If not for rain yesterday, he'd have another loss to a Challenger-level opponent.

If he becomes a star by earning it, great. But his play in majors in the last year is worse than Sam Querrey's. Tough for me to consider that a star. Maybe budding star (which is still laughable) is a better phrase.
The first 4 years Federer played Wimbledon he lost in the first round 3 times, people at the time thought he would never put it together. I can accept budding star because yes he still needs better results at majors but it's only a matter of time.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #1972
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he becomes a star by earning it, great. But his play in majors in the last year is worse than Sam Querrey's.
Speaking of Querrey, the 11th seed was ousted by Gael Monfils today. I thiink of lot of French sports fans have their attention focused elsewhere today though.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #1973
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It's effing ridiculous that a grand slam doesn't have lights. What is this? Wrigley?
Yes, pretty much.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #1974
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well as Inglewood Jack mentioned, Wimbledon has an 11pm curfew, and that's only for the roofed Centre Court. It is definitely peak NIMBYism, it's nothing like Flushing Meadows or Melbourne Park which are isolated.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-06-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #1975
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The first 4 years Federer played Wimbledon he lost in the first round 3 times, people at the time thought he would never put it together. I can accept budding star because yes he still needs better results at majors but it's only a matter of time.
Zverev is far too passive and one dimensional as it stands now for that to happen. If the guy even tries to leave the baseline to volley or improvise he immediately gets burned. I get he's still young but you don't see any improvement in the areas that are causing him to consistently fail on the biggest stage.

The QF at the french open this year is his best result at a major thus far and he was promptly dispatched by the only quality player he faced. Wimbledon will be no different. He may squeek by Gulbis but there is no way I can see him getting past Kyrgios on grass.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #1976
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well as Inglewood Jack mentioned, Wimbledon has an 11pm curfew, and that's only for the roofed Centre Court. It is definitely peak NIMBYism, it's nothing like Flushing Meadows or Melbourne Park which are isolated.
Night matches are a great feature for the US and Aussie Open. Daytime matches are the norm for the European slams. I don't mind the change of pace for these events.....At least Wimbledon has a covered stadium to offer during the final few days of the event.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #1977
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaby Dabrowski and Xu Yifan have moved to the round of 16 in women's doubles following their win earlier today.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #1978
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Wozniaki doing her best Genie impersonation.

"you won't get far" hahaha

https://sports.yahoo.com/wozniacki-c...0274--ten.html
Makarova won again today and is into the round of 16.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #1979
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well rats, Felix lost today in three sets, but another semi-final appearance and a new career high ATP ranking on Monday.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1980
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a dilemma, do I watch Milos or Belgium vs Brazil?

/TSN3 for Milos, TSN1, 4, and 5 for Neymar vs. KDB
Closed Thread