Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #2061
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean holy ####ing hell if you don't think Roger does this on grass too...
Clearly he does, I mean you don't win 8 Wimbledon championships if you cant. I just meant his serve is so dominate I don't notice it as much when he's serving. His service games are just so quick it's over in a blink of an eye, often times he only needs to hit his serve and only one more ball. You notice it more when he's returning serve, I was just trying to convey the point that a players serve is such a big weapon on grass compared to clay. Grass you can serve through someone, clay you cant.

I'm not trying to bash Federer (the man's won 20 GS titles which is insane) I'm simply stating my preference for clay and why I as a fan prefer to watch it over grass.

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 07-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #2062
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I can remember a Nadal drop shot from the baseline. Ever. I'm sure he's hit some but generally he only uses them in response to another drop shot that he's made some superhuman effort to run down. Federer... you just have no idea what shot he's going to hit, his footwork is so good he can hit just about any ball to any location with any spin at any given moment. Half-volley squash shot cross court pass while moving backwards? Yeah, that's a thing, sure, if you say so Roger.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #2063
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Right, but your preference is the minority opinion. Most fans don't like the boring, extended grinding rally nature of clay, they like the action nature of grass and hard courts. Fed dominates on serve with accuracy, not power. Roger has never been a big server, he just controls the box unlike anyone ever has. Had Nadal been a better server over the years, he'd probably have a few more majors. Maybe that's why you like clay so much, because the serve doesn't really matter.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #2064
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching ATP tennis for 20 years, and very few of the memorable points I've seen in that time have taken place on clay. It just doesn't lend itself to the kinds of clean winners that really get the adrenaline pumping. Rather, it lends itself to long, grueling baseline rallies, mostly.

And just before I'm called biased, neither of my favourite matches involve Roger Federer (Sampras / Agassi 2001 USTO; Nadal / Verdasco AO 2009).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #2065
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016687454915579904
Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #2066
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Drake might be as bad a jinx for Serena as he is for the Raptors.

/Serena drops the first set by a 6-3 score.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #2067
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serena has forced a third set by taking set 2 6-3
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #2068
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

for tomorrow's quarters, the rally-bots get centre court while the serve-bots have been relegated to court 1. it's actually pretty funny how cleanly the two halves of the draw ended up being split in terms of strategy.

Rafa gets the assist from Simon for taking a 2 day chunk out of Delpo. seriously though, what is it with the interrupted matches this year...weather was good, not that many super marathon matches, and yet every day at least a couple players had to pull an overnighter. I thought there would be more whinging about it.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #2069
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the roof will be on Court 1 next year which should reduce some of the two day matches, but it's inexcusable that matches there don't start at 11:30 like the rest of the outer courts.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #2070
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serena is through to the semi-finals. I think the only woman with a chance of beating her is Kerber.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #2071
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
for tomorrow's quarters, the rally-bots get centre court while the serve-bots have been relegated to court 1. it's actually pretty funny how cleanly the two halves of the draw ended up being split in terms of strategy.

Rafa gets the assist from Simon for taking a 2 day chunk out of Delpo. seriously though, what is it with the interrupted matches this year...weather was good, not that many super marathon matches, and yet every day at least a couple players had to pull an overnighter. I thought there would be more whinging about it.
Djokovic made the request to tournament organizers. Here is his quote "I think I’ve in a way earned the right to play QF on CC, we’ve put the request with the organizers. Rafa and Roger played all four of their matches on CC, myself only one..."

Still I would have expected they would have put Federer center instead of Nadal but I ain't complaining (unless he loses then why didn't he play on Court 1 )
Old 07-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #2072
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The disrespect to Novak is kinda strange, he does sort of have more Wimbledon's titles than Nadal.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #2073
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Maria, now Isner.

"Actually got him out on the court for 15-20 minutes, got to meet him, talk to him and to see what he does to stay in shape," the six-foot-10 Isner told reporters. "That dude works his tail off. That's why he's the best hockey player in the world."

Isner was impressed with Crosby's tennis game.

"He was pretty good," Isner said, adding Crosby plays tennis only recreationally.

"He actually was a little bit nervous, I think ... Once he started releasing his forehand, he started hitting the ball much better. He's strong as an ox. It's crazy how strong his lower body is."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/milo...osby-1.4740531
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #2074
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No big deal or anything but weird timing for Crosby to be doing PR with Isner right before he plays the Canuck. I always felt like Isner is Raonic's douchier twin. Raonic is all over cerebral and hyper intelligent and Isner has a similar game but seems like a big dumb frat boy. Anyway I am sure this won't be a real beautiful game to watch but hopefully Milos can claw his way through. He's gotta get by Roger one of these times... right?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #2075
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
No big deal or anything but weird timing for Crosby to be doing PR with Isner right before he plays the Canuck. I always felt like Isner is Raonic's douchier twin. Raonic is all over cerebral and hyper intelligent and Isner has a similar game but seems like a big dumb frat boy. Anyway I am sure this won't be a real beautiful game to watch but hopefully Milos can claw his way through. He's gotta get by Roger one of these times... right?
Well he kinda already did. Anyway I imagine tomorrow will be the most support Milos will ever have with Isner saying he wants Trump there if he's in the semis on Friday.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #2076
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
He's gotta get by Roger one of these times... right?
He did in 2016 before losing to Murray in the final. That said, Roger has discovered the fountain of youth since then, but I think everybody wants to see this match on Friday.

/Well, everybody but Isner and ESPN.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #2077
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
He did in 2016 before losing to Murray in the final. That said, Roger has discovered the fountain of youth since then, but I think everybody wants to see this match on Friday.

/Well, everybody but Isner and ESPN.
I don't think ESPN cares, Isner is pure anti-tennis so if anything Milos is a better opponent.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #2078
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well he kinda already did. Anyway I imagine tomorrow will be the most support Milos will ever have with Isner saying he wants Trump there if he's in the semis on Friday.

Yeah I always forget he beat him in 2016, I know he had the other two wins but overall with the 3-11 record it feels like it's been tough sledding.

Anyway I'd love to see Raonic get a major and I think he will eventually, I bet he'll be like a Ryder Hesjedal who has the one big breakthrough for Canadians, wonder if this will be the year.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #2079
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016716907435606016
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #2080
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing straight sets loss in mixed doubles for Gaby and Mate Pavic (they were the number 1 seeds). Oh well, Gaby is still alive in women's doubles.
Closed Thread