Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #221
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't mind giving Rittich a bit more opportunity. See if he can run with it. At worst he's gotta play as good as Smith has been. Hopefully that motivates Smith to be better as well. I don't see a lot of good options out there and I don't want to see the Flames spending significant assets unless it really makes sense.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #222
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya but Smith won tonight.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:02 PM   #223
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Ya but Smith won tonight.
...not sure if serious.
T-Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #224
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Almost an hour for the first response

Must constitute a troll fail
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #225
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies struggle. I don't think Smith is "finished", he's going through a slump.

Likewise, goalies can have hot streaks. I'm absolutely thrilled about Rittich's performance so far. But he was shaky last season, so I'd like him to play at least 20 games this season before we have the discussion about who the starter is.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #226
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

SN just posted an proposition looking at Bob coming to Calgary:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...gei-bobrovsky/
To Calgary: Sergei Bobrovsky
To Columbus: Mike Smith, 2019 first-round pick, Jon Gillies or Tyler Parsons
I hate seeing a 2019 1st AND one of our goalie hopefuls going the other way, but Bob here would be absolutely unreal. I think if you can do anything that keeps this current roster together and upgrades Smith you're pretty tempted to do it.

Thoughts?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #227
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not even consider that without a contract in place for Bobrovsky. And even then, probably not. Just my own wariness of goalies.

But with a reasonable contract, that's pretty fair. If he's asking for 8x10, no thanks.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #228
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I hate seeing a 2019 1st AND one of our goalie hopefuls going the other way, but Bob here would be absolutely unreal. I think if you can do anything that keeps this current roster together and upgrades Smith you're pretty tempted to do it.

Thoughts?
Not without an extension in hand, no. The ONLY way the Flames first round pick should be involved in a goalie trade is if he is coming in under contract beyond just this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #229
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I would not even consider that without a contract in place for Bobrovsky. And even then, probably not. Just my own wariness of goalies.

But with a reasonable contract, that's pretty fair. If he's asking for 8x10, no thanks.
And only if it’s Gillies.

You hang up if Parson is mentioned.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #230
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

Thoughts?
If the Flames could give Smith, Gillies and the 2019 1st for Bobrovsky, I would do that without a thought because getting Bobrovsky probably pushes the Flames' 1st round pick into the 20s (or 30s?!?). A 1st round pick that late is fairly similar in value to a 2nd round pick.

Also, Bobrovsky just turned 30. He is 30 years and 43 days old. That is relatively young for a goalie. For example, Cam Talbot is generally considered fairly young in Edmonton and he is 31 years and 150 days old. Likewise, Antti Raanta is barely younger at 29 years and 174 days and Frederik Andersen is almost exactly one year younger at 29 years and 31 days old.

Edit: Per the above comments, I agree and was assuming the Flames would first sign Bobrovsky to a deal.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #231
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d rather Stone be a part of the trade opposed to Columbus eating salary to make the cap work for this year as it helps us with being able to re-sign Bennett/Bobrovsky/Tkachuk moving forward into next year.

Smith
Stone
Gillies
19 1st

for

Bobrovsky

I agree though only if the re-up on Bobrovsky is reasonable; something like 5 or 6 years between 7.5/8.5 AAV

We would still have to clear out a guy like Frolik in the off-season but it’s definitely doable.. I think Bobrovsky/Rittich would be a great tandem to move forward with and makes this team even scarier than it already is.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #232
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith + a goalie prospect + a 3rd round for a pending UFA goalie would be enough.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #233
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Not without an extension in hand, no. The ONLY way the Flames first round pick should be involved in a goalie trade is if he is coming in under contract beyond just this season.
I would say the 1st only moves if Bob signs.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #234
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Smith + a goalie prospect + a 3rd round for a pending UFA goalie would be enough.
Actually, I think you're right based on the Ben Bishop trades.

He was traded to the Kings with a fifth-round pick in the 2017 draft for goalie Peter Budaj, defenseman Erik Cernak, a seventh-round pick in the 2017 draft, and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2017.

He was then traded from LA to the Stars for a fourth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #235
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah goalies are just so unpredictable. But Rittich is earning every start he gets. I won't be surprised if we go back to Smith on Saturday. I'd prefer Rittich. People just like to declare things, like this guy is our starter, or this guy will never play good again. But I just think it's in our teams best interest to give Smith every chance to get rolling. He may not, but no one can know that at this point.

And just because you declare something and it turns out to be true, doesn't mean you knew it. It means you guessed right!

I'm guessing, Rittich continues his strong play with some ups and downs. Smith continues his sporadic play but is decent enough that the Flames roll the dice on keeping this tandem and we upgrade in the offseason. I'm guessing they more or less end up splitting the starts.

EDIT: Posted this before the Bob rumour! I HATE the idea of trading our first. But that is pretty tempting.

Last edited by The Professor; 11-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #236
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Possibly, but per Forever Flames Fan comment, Bob was moved for a 4th in his 30 year old season and then signed with Dallas for 6 years and $29.5 M. It may be the Flames don't need to give up that high of a pick, especially if Smith and Gillies are going to CBJ too.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #237
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I’d rather Stone be a part of the trade opposed to Columbus eating salary to make the cap work for this year as it helps us with being able to re-sign Bennett/Bobrovsky/Tkachuk moving forward into next year.

Smith
Stone
Gillies
19 1st

for

Bobrovsky

I agree though only if the re-up on Bobrovsky is reasonable; something like 5 or 6 years between 7.5/8.5 AAV

We would still have to clear out a guy like Frolik in the off-season but it’s definitely doable.. I think Bobrovsky/Rittich would be a great tandem to move forward with and makes this team even scarier than it already is.
I don't think you get that contract as a condition of the trade though. That seems like a pretty big discount from Bob considering the numbers that get throw around - so does he give a discount to a team he's unfamiliar with, and is clearly willing to give up a lot to have you on the team?

I think you have a chance at getting that after he's a part of this team doing something he sees has a future.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #238
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I know mid-late first round picks are basically magic beans, but with the way that scouting is nowadays and how better they’ve been, I feel that the top 31 picks should always be hard to move. And you shouldn’t be spending assets on a goalie that we don’t even know we have the money for with Tkachuk needing to re-sign.

In any draft year, there are a ton of fallers that become steals. The Flames in my opinion cannot afford to move their 1st this draft. Our prospect cupboards are pretty bare with Valimaki and Andersson bound to graduate after this season.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #239
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another scenario that could help with the cap in a trade and resign bob scenario would be to add jankowski

Assume 84 cap and tkachuk at 8.5 and Bennett at 2.5. If you sign bob at 8.5 to 9 and dump frolik and stone. Then promote mangipane and rychel/foo and resign rittich to 1.25 mil the flames would be under the cap. To me that would be a cup contending team
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #240
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big NO to trading a first round pick for a goalie.

Goalies are so unpredictable.

I'm also very wary on whether Bobrosky can handle a high pressure Canadian market. He melted down in Philly and has never had much playoff success.

I'm not sure what the options are, as there doesn't look to be a whole lot. I'd probably give Rittich more starts to see if he can handle it. His struggles last year when Smith went down could just be him dealing with the pressure of being the man. Maybe he's learned from it. Maybe he might be able to handle it better now with a veteran goalie backing him up.

If Smith continues to falter, I'd try a cheap lotto ticket on a Jimmy Howard, Peter Mrazek or Robin Lehner.

If Schneider can regain his form, I would consider dealing a Jankowski for him.