Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #241
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You don't get 30 shots on the Blues after 2 periods because you are lazy, don't care, ect.

They just aren't executing...2.5 shooting % is crazy
Ordinarily I’d agree, but tonight the shots were a bit illusory. I can count good scoring chances on one hand. The best chances weren’t even shots.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #242
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing is for certain, this is a hell of a predicament to be in.

Our slide has been mirrored in comparison to the Leafs but the options were far different there. Everyone knew Babcock was on bought time, and realistically they can afford to trade a Nylander or Barrie.

With our team, the GM was just recently extended. So he isn't going anywhere. The coaching carousel has been common theme around here and Peters was an excellent coach as recently as last season when we won the West - you have to think ownership would be against yet another coaching change. And you have very few tradeable assets that aren't the kind of trading low, high risk, going to be enough of a difference maker to re-shape the team overnight.

This is a terrible spot to be in really and it could go on for a while until whatever "it" is comes out (if "it" is really an entity).

Based on Ward's comments a couple of days ago, we have a bunch of guys that don't care enough and we saw it again tonight. I also think something happened last All-Star break that contributed to this and has been getting worse and worse. Another safe bet is that it has to do with our core because if it was a lesser player let's face it they would have been shipped out by now.

If something is to happen it might actually be one of our top guys going out and sorry to say but Johnny sure looks lazy and disinterested out there. Treliving is tasked with finding the right dance partner and the type of return which brings the exact opposite of our problem. Ideally it's a one-on-one vs. Depth but who in their right mind is looking to deal that type of player back?

Talk about an impossible situation...

I for one don't put a lot of blame Treliving here to be honest. I think he thought that Neal may have been a major factor in the lack of care factor, much like the rest of us. I think we're all finding out now it is more deep rooted.

Last edited by Dr. Doom; 11-21-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #243
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto has a weak GM but still has two top tier centers. It remains our major problem after 25 years.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #244
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Toronto has a weak GM but still has two top tier centers. It remains our major problem after 25 years.
well, getting the #1 pick overall in a year with a elite blue chipper and getting another #1 overall player as a UFA erases a lot of issues...

with calgary's luck, they'll luck into the #1 pick and end up with a Patrick or Hischer...

not to bag on Bennett, but Calgary was a pick away from getting another elite player; how different would calgary look if Bennett turned into a Draistl? or Marner or Makar for that matter?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #245
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hischier is a fantastic player, I'd love to wind up with a guy like him in the draft

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #246
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The numbers you can analyze are the result, not the root cause

The way you do things ends up in the events that you can count
Low production is a result for sure ... lack of chances is both I guess, it's certainly part of the cause, but it too can have a cause.

But then logic comes into it doesn't it?

Is Gaudreau being told to not generate chances? To force passes into low percentage options? To button hook all the time despite the opposition keying on it and closing out his options?

If so then yes the cause is deeper and a huge run of insanity behind the Flames bench.

But if you don't think that likely then it's a player not playing well and pressing isn't it?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #247
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Even then though do you think this team has the pieces to really compete for a championship? they are missing at least two high end parts in my view.
And the best way to get that is via the draft.
This is a damn good draft - both at the top and overall depth.
A top 5 pick in this draft would add a critical piece.
Look what the Avs got with Makar from a down year (or was that their Ottawa pick?)
Try to fix this internally ... don't make a deal to save the season ... if they are sliding by the deadline move UFA pieces for picks and retool in the off season, including a core piece as I think they'd need to shake things up.

But those deals don't happen during the season, they're summer moves.

The Lightning missed the playoffs, drafted Foote and then got right back to it the next season. They didn't fire their coach, or their GM, or move out their best player.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #248
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't get 30 shots on the Blues after 2 periods because you are lazy, don't care, ect.

It's quality over quantity again though, just like GG years.

If your shots aren't dangerous, then it doesn't really mean much.

NHL quality goalies do make a few tough saves per game. So only getting a few high quality scoring chances isn't enough to get goals. You gotta get several high quality scoring chances, to have more chances of getting one by the goalie, and into the net.

If you look back last season during the Flames hot play. The top line absolutely dominated oppositions. There were getting several grade A chances per period. You haven't seen that at all this whole calendar year really.

Flames offensive hasn't been threatening enough at all. Very pedestrian looking. Defenses have stifled them.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #249
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ordinarily I’d agree, but tonight the shots were a bit illusory. I can count good scoring chances on one hand. The best chances weren’t even shots.
If a team isn’t scoring, the coaching staff would be drilling in take every shot you can. I just saw ineffective execution of that last night. They look like the try for a couple of periods (or a period for some games), and then they don’t succeed which causes them to start panicking or giving up. That leads to 2 on 1s or breakaways which always seem to end up in the back of the net the last few games. They have no puck luck. So many posts or cross bars are being hit. They miss open nets too (Backlund last game, Dube and Monahan yesterday). They are gripping their sticks too tight and are just in their own heads. I don’t know how they can get out of this spunk.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #250
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

They were putting these high shot totals with GG.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #251
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Try to fix this internally ... don't make a deal to save the season ... if they are sliding by the deadline move UFA pieces for picks and retool in the off season, including a core piece as I think they'd need to shake things up.

But those deals don't happen during the season, they're summer moves.

The Lightning missed the playoffs, drafted Foote and then got right back to it the next season. They didn't fire their coach, or their GM, or move out their best player.
The difference between the Lightning and Flames though, is our top player is on a term that if not extended in the next 6 months, is best liquidated.

The Lightning didn’t have that crutch of asset management, and truthfully are much richer than the Flames in most positions.

While, trading Gaudreau in-season would likely be knee jerk, this summer is the critical window.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #252
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I think comparisons to what the lightning did should end right here, the flames are not the lightning.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #253
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I still look at St.Louis from last year, hence why I would not sewer the season today.
But if this group was to finish out the season in this current way, or some similar manner, than yeah it's time for a major shakeup in which Matthew Tkachuck literally is the only guy I would not be willing to trade.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #254
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I still look at St.Louis from last year, hence why I would not sewer the season today.
But if this group was to finish out the season in this current way, or some similar manner, than yeah it's time for a major shakeup in which Matthew Tkachuck literally is the only guy I would not be willing to trade.

The Blues were a goaltender away from being competitive. And then it was a Cinderella story after on top of that. I don't see any parallel between the Flames.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #255
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would also wait till the offseason to make any major moves. At this point you start looking at depth players (Backlund, Brodie, Hamonic, Frolik, Jankowski, etc.) to recoup draft picks. I would be comfortable allowing BT to focus on this and then firing him at the end of the season.

Bring in a new GM who has a clue about what wins critical/playoff type hockey games. Then allow him to assess and make the big moves this team may need, in the offseason. BT has shown he has no clue how to assemble a championship team, and like the rest of this organization is mediocre at best.

Till the top of org starts holding people accountable and making the Stanley Cup the only priority, nothing will change. BT should have NEVER been extended at the start of the year.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #256
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
They were putting these high shot totals with GG.
I don't think anyone disputes that the Flames were not dangerous last night. The point being made was that they were working hard. It's small consolation, but I agree that one can't really accuse them of being lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #257
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #258
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I would also wait till the offseason to make any major moves. At this point you start looking at depth players (Backlund, Brodie, Hamonic, Frolik, Jankowski, etc.) to recoup draft picks. I would be comfortable allowing BT to focus on this and then firing him at the end of the season.

Bring in a new GM who has a clue about what wins critical/playoff type hockey games. Then allow him to assess and make the big moves this team may need, in the offseason. BT has shown he has no clue how to assemble a championship team, and like the rest of this organization is mediocre at best.

Till the top of org starts holding people accountable and making the Stanley Cup the only priority, nothing will change. BT should have NEVER been extended at the start of the year.
As much as I agree a lot of this current debacle is on BT as the guy who cobbled together this tire fire we are witnessing, there is absolutely ZERO chance they are letting him go at seasons end. He was just given a multi-year extension about 7 weeks ago, and they are not going to pay him the entire length of that contract not to work for them. Just not realistic.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #259
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
As much as I agree a lot of this current debacle is on BT as the guy who cobbled together this tire fire we are witnessing, there is absolutely ZERO chance they are letting him go at seasons end. He was just given a multi-year extension about 7 weeks ago, and they are not going to pay him the entire length of that contract not to work for them. Just not realistic.
Oh good, give him lots of runway to make things worse so that the next GM is starting from less than scratch.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #260
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yeah, I think comparisons to what the lightning did should end right here, the flames are not the lightning.
Clearly not ...

But the Lightning and Flames are certainly not the first or second team to have a good window going with a misstep season.

I was never comparing the rosters, I was comparing the season to season results, which are / were quite similar.