Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #1601
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I don't doubt that the ratings are down 75%. The novelty of seeing the old classic games is dwindling.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #1602
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I don't doubt that the ratings are down 75%. The novelty of seeing the old classic games is dwindling.
Especially when it is mostly Blue Jays and Raptors when I turn on the TV.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #1603
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bob McCown tweeted TSN and Sportsnet TV ratings are down 75%.
They should transition, at least temporarily, to e-sports.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #1604
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
its like 10 hockey games on cycle, should add new games every night not the same replays over and over
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #1605
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it me or is 960 having major technical issues today? First their audio slowed down to the point everyone had this low pitched tone, then they switched to Jim Rome, now empty airwaves.

Edit: Now back to low pitched unlistenable audio.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #1606
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know a lot of fans here don't love baseball, but I do, and would love to see one of the secondary SN/TSN channels do something like broadcast an entire season this summer. Maybe last season? And instead of following just the Bluejays, just play whatever the best game was that day last year, and then do a recap show afterwards of everything that happened around baseball on that day afterwards. You could even make it a double header with an east coast game around dinner time, and a west coast game in the night.

That, or just play a ton of Vin Scully era Dodgers games - loved hearing that guy call a game.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #1607
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I wish one of TSN or Sportsnet would transition into a sports movie/documentary channel right now. Get the temporary rights to like 20-30 movies and just cycle through them.

The only way you'll get me to watch baseball is if it's part of a movie. Terrible sport, but pretty good movies.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-16-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #1608
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but that's a you problem with Canadian broadcasting over the years, and nothing to do with low current ratings. Ratings show that the Blue Jays and Raptors are huge ratings winners for the most part. The real issue isn't what they're showing, it's just that showing anything that is a rerun is going to attract minimal viewers, and reruns is all they have.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #1609
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I made sure I didnt miss the flames game 6 against the canucks a few weeks back and I know lots of other that were the same. ratings might go up if they tackle two fan bases like they did with that.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #1610
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

SCF 04 game 6 replay on right now.

The heart.. it fractures.

Tampa on their 4th consecutive PP in the game, currently in the third. This and that ignored trip in winner, man Tampa sure got help from the officials late in this game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #1611
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Fan is currently broadcasting the television broadcast of a Flames/Bruins game from 2015. They would rather play Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey over the radio than rebroadcast Derek Wills.

Not that they’re wrong, but this would never have happened to Peter Maher.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #1612
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The Fan is currently broadcasting the television broadcast of a Flames/Bruins game from 2015. They would rather play Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey over the radio than rebroadcast Derek Wills.

Not that they’re wrong, but this would never have happened to Peter Maher.
They addressed this about the previous replays. They don’t have the full radio audio available from these games.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #1613
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Anyone listening just now? Will Nault going full Will Nault in a discussion about a 7 team draft prior to the playoffs.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #1614
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, not a shot at Nault personally as I don't know him, but as a listener, I think he's terrible on the radio. I'd say he's the worst guy they have on the Fan. I swear he disagrees for the sake of disagreeing. And I can't stand his nasally voice.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #1615
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I initially understood his argument, that a 7 team draft wouldn't necessarily have the content legs the NHL might want for the markets (I think that was his initial argument) but as soon as he was challenged on that he blew up and fell back on issues that weren't related. "No one will watch because its nice outside". He couldn't stay on target with his own argument and then gets mad at people for disagreeing with it.

Someone once compared him to a sports fan in a bar. (maybe that was you Yen Man?) This is so spot on.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #1616
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, not a shot at Nault personally as I don't know him, but as a listener, I think he's terrible on the radio. I'd say he's the worst guy they have on the Fan. I swear he disagrees for the sake of disagreeing. And I can't stand his nasally voice.
Yeah...i dont go after these guys very often because its actually a difficult job. They are all very much entitled, and paid, to give their opinions.

Nault though is just not cut out for it.

Just no awareness at times and gets babbling to a point where what he says either makes no sense or is not what he means to say.

Klein is just 100 times more natural and smart enough to say what he means without coming off as a dink.

Nault has no filter that way (which goes back to lack of awareness) and comes across as angry when challenged on a viewpoint he is unable to defend. Really not a very good combo.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #1617
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't like to pile on, but Nault is completely unsuited to the Morning Show. It's a goofier, looser atmosphere and he is completely devoid of personality or sense of humour. His contributions to the show are generally badly parroting something funny someone else has said, or saying "eaaaasy", "calm down", or "settle down" when someone else has made a joke. It's really quite remarkable how many times he falls back on that. As people have mentioned he doesn't seem able to take a side and debate it without getting upset when anyone challenges him, so he'll carefully test the waters and only make a point if it sounds like no one will disagree. Add to that his notorious garbling of words, I don't understand how he is still around.

If they want to shuffle the deck chairs maybe just have him produce the afternoon show, at least he has a rapport with Klein and wouldn't have to talk much. The morning show could easily just be Boomer/Pinder with Jay jumping in a bit more (he's the funniest person on the show anyway). If that could have setup with Commodore when things get back to normal, I think that's the ideal combination.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #1618
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In regards to Will Nault, to put it succinctly, I’ve stopped listening to the Morning Show specifically because of him. Not even Krahn’s excellence could bring me back to that.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #1619
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
Don't like to pile on, but Nault is completely unsuited to the Morning Show. It's a goofier, looser atmosphere and he is completely devoid of personality or sense of humour..

The morning show could easily just be Boomer/Pinder with Jay jumping in a bit more (he's the funniest person on the show anyway). If that could have setup with Commodore when things get back to normal, I think that's the ideal combination.
That and you can tell Jay really likes Pinder. I swear he chimed in a lot more during the Boomer/Warrener/Pinder era than he does now. I bet he was the most disappointed on the morning show when Pinder got moved to afternoons. I don't see Pinder coming back to mornings, him and Steinberg have a good thing going..I really like the afternoon show now. It's definitely my favourite on that station these days, and I used to love the morning show..never missed it.

In regards to Nault, granted I don't listen like I used to, but I really don't find his voice annoying the way most seem to. I actually think he has a good radio voice, if anything, Klein is the one who sounds more amateur on there. But yes Klein is definitely the more likeable one, and has that proper morning show silliness. You just need to get used to him... that and I think he's improved a lot from 2-3 years ago.

I definitely agree Nault seems too sensitive for the chirps that go along with the morning show though, at least he did when I listened regularly. I figured with the switch he must've gotten better with that, but it sounds like he hasnt. Too bad.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #1620
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Klein on the morning show, I think he's got a natural good nature goofiness, and he definitely rolls with the punches a lot more naturally. I get they want him on the afternoon to spread the already thin talent around, but I do miss having him with the guys on the morning.

I also like Jay's dry sense of humor. Guy has pretty good comedic cues IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post: