Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #621
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

if only there were places where a person could get their NFL info on the radio waves
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #622
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
if only there were places where a person could get their NFL info on the radio waves
Doesn't change the fact that what is on the radio right now is absolutely brutal programming.

Unlistenable and made even worse by a pretentious personality presenting it.
(alliteration not intended)

That being said, I thought it was for this week only and Rome would return next Monday?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #623
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Doesn't change the fact that what is on the radio right now is absolutely brutal programming.

That being said, I thought it was for this week only and Rome would return next Monday?
My point is that NFL, and other North American sports info is available for anyone who wants it. But the only way you can get local content is on the local radio stations.

SO like it or hate it, good quality or bad, it's still a better programming decision by 960.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #624
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I thought I heard that Rome was going to be phased out entirely, and someone local would be taking over the 10-12 slot.

Even if they end up talking the same subjects with the same format, not having Jim Rome is a major plus.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #625
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just please not more Jays talk. They already bombard us with too much as is. Are there really that many Jays fans in Calgary? I know Rogers owns the team, but why are they force feeding it down our throats? I swear, Vlad Guererro Jr gets a hang nail, and it's wall to wall coverage on the colour bandaid he put on it.

I'd take Rome over that drivel any day of the week.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #626
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Just please not more Jays talk. They already bombard us with too much as is. Are there really that many Jays fans in Calgary? I know Rogers owns the team, but why are they force feeding it down our throats? I swear, Vlad Guererro Jr gets a hang nail, and it's wall to wall coverage on the colour bandaid he put on it.

I'd take Rome over that drivel any day of the week.
And then they start broadcasting the games - cheap way for Rogers to kill time and move money around within the corporate structure. Basically all of Jays pre-season could have been covered in 2 15-minute segments.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #627
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Blue Jays are No Good.
NFL is No Good.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #628
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Blue Jays are No Good.
NFL is No Good.
NFL no good? Get it together man
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #629
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
My point is that NFL, and other North American sports info is available for anyone who wants it. But the only way you can get local content is on the local radio stations.

SO like it or hate it, good quality or bad, it's still a better programming decision by 960.

Agree with you. I don’t want to hear NFL content from my local AM sports radio station that’s for sure. And Rome is absolutely brutal.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #630
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion. The 10-12 slot the past few days have been the worst programming I have ever heard from the station. It's sounds like some sort of podcast of a morning recap of the Flames talk that's already been discussed and will be discussed again in the afternoon and Blue Jays spring training discussion for the 50-100 people in Calgary that actually care about Blue Jays spring training. Now I like the Blue Jays but MLB simply doesn't make for compelling radio discussion as most of us have already endured the horrible the summer 12:00-1:00 MLB hour.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #631
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn’t get all bent out of shape about what’s been on this week 10-12. It’s literally Pinder and some guy from the Fan in YVR doing a show from spring training because they can. In a week or two, Pinder returns back to Calgary and Rome resumes.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #632
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like Jays talk when there is something worth talking aboùt. Beyond a few propscets there isnt that much to get excited about with the Jays. Even if Vlad Jr won MVP it wouldnt draw me in all that much if the team is crap. Hopefully in a few years things will be different.

I just put on music if the programming doesnt interest me though. If its not Flames i tune out.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #633
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I love the Jays talk and coverage. Not like listening to Steinberg and company talk all afternoon about the woes of the Flames third line in July is any better. If you think there’s no Jays fans in Calgary, go to Seattle in August when they play the Mariners. Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Vancouver take over the stadium for three games. It’s absolutely awesome!
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaFaFlamey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #634
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Of course the Jays are the most popular baseball team in Calgary. However far more people are fans of other teams, or don’t care about baseball at all.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #635
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

There are dozens of outlets where you can hear NFL or MLB news (or NBA if that's your thing).

There is one where you can hear about the Flames. Half the time they are talking about raisins or pie. This morning Boomer was talking about how proud he was of that fact.

If there were literally any other Flames radio coverage I would listen to it over the Fan 960. As it is, I'm stuck with these dorks. Mix in more sports I don't care about... greaaat...

At least Rome would occasionally talk about hockey.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #636
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I tuned in this morning for about three and a half minutes (maybe even four). They talked about apples, apple pie, pie, pumpkin pie....goodbye.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #637
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I tuned in this morning for about three and a half minutes (maybe even four). They talked about apples, apple pie, pie, pumpkin pie....goodbye.
Maybe you tuned in during the wildcard segment? It's 15-20 minutes mid afternoon.

Tbh it's my new favorite part of the afternoon show.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #638
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The morning show is what? 4 hours long? They have a lot of time to kill. It’s also a morning show. People are sleepy and grumpy and have to sit in traffic on their crappy commute. I’d guess that the vast majority of listeners don’t want straight hockey talk 100% of the time.

I listen to the morning show regularly and nothing else on the fan. If there was no banter about Nachos and Pie I’d stop listening. The camaraderie between Rhett, Boomer and the guy who likes wrestling is what makes the show imo.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #639
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Of course the Jays are the most popular baseball team in Calgary. However far more people are fans of other teams, or don’t care about baseball at all.
That's a weak point. So your solution is somehow cover every MLB team in the same time frame so that the "other team" fans that outnumber jays fans each get 2 second, uneducated takes on their teams?

And people that don't care about baseball doesn't really matter when they're covering it because lots of people do care about it.

I think you just don't like that the Jays are popular in Canada when you're a fan of a different team. I do get it, 2 years ago Canadians and Canadian media acted like no Canadian citizen had ever cheered for a team south of the border.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Jays are the most popular team in Canada by 100 miles.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #640
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe you tuned in during the wildcard segment? It's 15-20 minutes mid afternoon.

Tbh it's my new favorite part of the afternoon show.
This was ~730am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The morning show is what? 4 hours long? They have a lot of time to kill. It’s also a morning show. People are sleepy and grumpy and have to sit in traffic on their crappy commute. I’d guess that the vast majority of listeners don’t want straight hockey talk 100% of the time.

I listen to the morning show regularly and nothing else on the fan. If there was no banter about Nachos and Pie I’d stop listening. The camaraderie between Rhett, Boomer and the guy who likes wrestling is what makes the show imo.
I suppose maybe that's why I like Jim Rome. He's not all sports all the time. You just have to get used to his schtick and the inside jokes, and once you 'get to know him', you learn to like the show.

Considering that, I suppose I can chill out on how badly I think 960's local guys suck, considering all the JR hate in this thread. Different strokes, I guess.

But seriously, every time I give it another go, they're talking about something ridiculous like pumpkin pie, or socks, or apples, or......
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: