Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #2081
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27441156

Quote:
Fossilised bones of a dinosaur believed to be the largest creature ever to walk the Earth have been unearthed in Argentina, palaeontologists say.

Based on its huge thigh bones, it was 40m (130ft) long and 20m (65ft) tall.

Weighing in at 77 tonnes, it was as heavy as 14 African elephants, and seven tonnes heavier than the previous record holder, Argentinosaurus.

Scientists believe it is a new species of titanosaur - an enormous herbivore dating from the Late Cretaceous period.

A local farm worker first stumbled on the remains in the desert near La Flecha, about 250km (135 miles) west of Trelew, Patagonia.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #2082
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hubble Ultra Deep Field 2014

Hubble Team Unveils Most Colorful View of Universe Captured by Space Telescope

Quote:
Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have assembled a comprehensive picture of the evolving universe — among the most colorful deep space images ever captured by the 24-year-old telescope.

Researchers say the image, from a new study called the Ultraviolet Coverage of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, provides the missing link in star formation. The Hubble Ultra Deep Field 2014 image is a composite of separate exposures taken in 2003 to 2012 with Hubble's Advanced Camera for Surveys and Wide Field Camera 3
Spoiler!

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...14/27/image/a/
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #2083
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bee's in France producing blue honey.

http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20142405-25561.html

Quote:
French beekeepers were recently shocked when their bees started producing thick, blue and green honey.
After investigating, they discovered their bees were feeding on the colourful shells of M&Ms - a Mars processing plant was located just 4 km away.
The Mars waste-processing plant has now solved the problem and are cleaning any outdoor or uncovered containers that M&M waste was stored in, so it's unlikely you'll see the blue honey on the market any time soon.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #2084
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Spoiler!

What are the ones in the top right and mid-left that are super shiny? Are they too close to the camera and are too bright? Or are they just hitting it at the right/wrong angle?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #2085
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Spoiler!

So this is light about 13 billion years old or 700 million years after the Big Bang. I can't beleive all those galaxy's formed in just 700 million years.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #2086
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What are the ones in the top right and mid-left that are super shiny? Are they too close to the camera and are too bright? Or are they just hitting it at the right/wrong angle?
You mean the ones that have the prismy star pattern around them? They're foreground stars from out own galaxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #2087
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You mean the ones that have the prismy star pattern around them? They're foreground stars from out own galaxy.
You sure? The Deep Field was a patch of empty/dark space that Hubble stared at for 10 days. could a star from our own galaxy hide like that?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #2088
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
You sure? The Deep Field was a patch of empty/dark space that Hubble stared at for 10 days. could a star from our own galaxy hide like that?
Hide like what, it's right there in the picture.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...eme-deep-field

Quote:
Only a handful of individual stars in the foreground of our own galaxy can be seen.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #2089
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hide like what, it's right there in the picture.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...eme-deep-field
I guess your right about stars from our galaxy but what I meant by "hide" was the stars were not visable when they picked the spot to look at.

It started out as a small dark spot with apparently nothing to look at, I didn't realise it picked up light from a few stars in our own galaxy, they must be extremely far away.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #2090
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

So a question for you guys who know more about space than me.

Obviously the majority of space is empty space (not counting what we don't know about dark energy and matter and anything else that exists in 'empty' space). Both within galaxies, but even moreso outside of galaxies. And obviously stars exist within galaxies.

But, even if it's extremely rare, could a star conceivably be knocked out of a galaxy's gravity well and exist outside a galaxy, like a comet or other things? And if so, do we know of any such examples?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #2091
photon

Exp:

Quote:
I guess your right about stars from our galaxy but what I meant by "hide" was the stars were not visable when they picked the spot to look at.
Ah ok, yeah it would depend on the size of the telescope and the brightness and distance of the star, I would guess that only a small portion of our galaxy has been surveyed.

The GSC-II has almost a billion stars out to magnitude 21, but there's hundreds of billions of stars in the galaxy, probably most of them would require this kind of effort (i.e. imaging a chunk of sky for days) to detect.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 06-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #2092
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
But, even if it's extremely rare, could a star conceivably be knocked out of a galaxy's gravity well and exist outside a galaxy, like a comet or other things? And if so, do we know of any such examples?
Sure don't see why not, I've seen simulations of galaxy collisions where it seems tons of stars get ejected.

As for detecting them, I'm not sure we could. We can see galaxies at galactic distances but that's hundreds of billions of stars. Hubble can discern individual stars in Andromeda, so I guess if it was a wandering star at that range it's possible.. finding one would be a real challenge though, that's a lot of space. To look at the entire sky the way Hubble did for the ultra deep field would take a million years.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #2093
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
So a question for you guys who know more about space than me.

Obviously the majority of space is empty space (not counting what we don't know about dark energy and matter and anything else that exists in 'empty' space). Both within galaxies, but even moreso outside of galaxies. And obviously stars exist within galaxies.

Rouge stars are possible. Sometimes they get ejected by super massive blackholes. I don't think we have discovered one yet. It's possible some of them are neutron stars that emit very little light, so we do not see them. There may be one heading our way for all we know.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #2094
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's so easy to look at the beauty of the Milky Way and other Galaxy's and yet is so hard to fathom the sheer size of them. 200 billion stars that are separated by trillions of miles from each other.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #2095
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's so easy to look at the beauty of the Milky Way and other Galaxy's and yet is so hard to fathom the sheer size of them. 200 billion stars that are separated by trillions of miles from each other.

This may be a dumb question but how do we get pictures of the Milky Way galaxy when we're in it? There hasn't been a probe that's left the galaxy (as far as I know). Or are the 'pictures' of the Milky Way either graphics or pictures of other similar galaxies?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #2096
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
This may be a dumb question but how do we get pictures of the Milky Way galaxy when we're in it? There hasn't been a probe that's left the galaxy (as far as I know). Or are the 'pictures' of the Milky Way either graphics or pictures of other similar galaxies?
I am assuming they know the relative distances of a majority of the stars in the neighbourhood and are able to extrapolate from there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #2097
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2213.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #2098
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Sorry, I had to laugh a bit at this.

Think of years X million(s) to leave our galaxy at our current tech.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #2099
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What devoured this great white shark?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Australian researchers are hunting for what they call a "mystery sea monster" that devoured a 9-foot-long great white shark.

A tracking device previously planted on the shark was found washed up on a beach, and after analysis, it showed that it had suddenly undergone a rapid increase in temperature and a swift 1,900-foot (580-meter) dive beneath the waves.

Scientists attribute the more than 30-degree spike in temperature to the shark entering another animal's digestive system, and the unexpected plunge could be explained by the larger animal's rapid descent. Researchers found the tracking device about 2½ miles from where the shark was tagged.

The perplexing situation, which occurred four months after researchers tagged the shark, is chronicled in the Smithsonian Institute's documentary film "Hunt for the Super Predator," which airs in the United States on June 25.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #2100
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science