Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 AM   #141
cpltanto
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Honest question

How many 100 point players have questions about their skating?
Leon Draisaitl
since the draft and a couple years into the NHl, this was supposedly a concern...even now...he's not considered a super fast skater
cpltanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #142
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ ok. Thank you!

We have Robitaille, Hull, Esposito, MacInnis and I think I heard Johnny Bucyk.

Thanks for volunteering someone from the modern era. Do you have any from both the modern era and actual NHL teams?

Just kidding. But Edmonton stinks.

But seriously, I saw something from a few years ago, where Draisaitl was talking about the work he put in to his skating over the summer. Hadn’t heard it lately. Plus, he wasn’t the primary driver of the 100 points.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #143
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Every contract is specific. They don't just say the player gets somewhere between $1,000,000 and $2,123,564.
I meant to three significant digits after the decimal place. Kinda odd, don't you think? But maybe you should work to confirm that

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #144
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
"I skate to where the puck is going, not to where the puck has been"

Hockey IQ often trumps all other skills. Jason Allison made a modest career out of it despite having cinder blocks for skates.

IQ is definitely important, but also it's the body type of the "slow" players. Allison was as slow as a brick, especially in his last season, but he had a crazy reach and could hold the puck well. Smaller players who aren't great skaters don't have the advantage of reach which in today's league you're probably not going to have a long career.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Andreychuk could barely get his ass to the other end of the rink. Managed to play for over 20 years and pot 640 goals.

I hope Tkachuk is that bad.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #146
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I meant to three significant digits after the decimal place. Kinda odd, don't you think? But maybe you should work to confirm that
93 was his number when he played for London. A few more players have jersey numbers in their contract including Crosby and his teammate Auston Matthews.

Last edited by ST20; 09-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #147
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Well... Yes.... but they also have less cap space going into the "trash" (aka"buyout") then we do... they also have a huge LTIR credit (which they acquired largely though trades to get assets - most of these players will never play a game for Toronto in the future)... but YES... I did cherry pick to get to my point that they have some HUGE contracts on that team... I think we are more balanced... but I also think that taking on LTIR players is a bit disingenuous (read as: for the NHL to allow) considering that the cap was designed to get the teams on even terms with regards to revenue and market size.
I always thought that teams had to be cap compliant on day 1 and could only start exceeding the cap after LTIR started to accrue.

Apparently that's not the case and it makes me wonder why teams were giving assets to Arizona over the years rather than just using their LTIR contracts to exceed the cap?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #148
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ ok. Thank you!

We have Robitaille, Hull, Esposito, MacInnis and I think I heard Johnny Bucyk.

Thanks for volunteering someone from the modern era. Do you have any from both the modern era and actual NHL teams?

Just kidding. But Edmonton stinks.

But seriously, I saw something from a few years ago, where Draisaitl was talking about the work he put in to his skating over the summer. Hadn’t heard it lately. Plus, he wasn’t the primary driver of the 100 points.
You could probably look yourself right? Finding scoring leaders is not that hard.

I have never believeD Thornton was a great skater. Art Ross trophy winner Jamie Benn was a notoriously poor skater when drafted and worked to improve.

The 100 point club is a little smaller than it used to be. And I think you’ll find that it is not dominated necessarily by the fastest skaters in the league especially when you take out McDavid.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #149
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yes it is easy to find scoring leaders

Last year you had Kucherov, McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Crosby, Marchand , and then very close were Johnny, Stamkos and Barkov. Also Pastrnak was playing at a 100 point pace

The implication here from some is that Tkachuk, and his almost but slightly less than point per game season early in his career, could be a 100 point player

All of those guys also have pretty good hockey IQ.

And it’s not about looking for the fastest skaters. Crosby’s edge work is outstanding.

Is there anyone on that list whose skating currently has the same knocks as Tkachuk?

Most of the examples people have been pulling out have been from before the rule changes that made speed important in the NHL

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 09-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #150
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

I don't think it's odd. Just because a contract doesn't have zeroes after the first number, doesn't mean it's not significant. Even if the contract was $10.000 M * 6 years, it still has the exact same amount of significant digits. 0 and 3 are both numbers.

What I do think is odd is how you had a full on hissy fit after your first working to confirm comment when you got called out on it. Now you think if you put it most of your posts that we'll all think it doesn't bother you. I look forward to your response of how it actually doesn't bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl
Barkov
Giroux
Malkin
Thornton and Benn (as mentioned)
Toews isn't a burner
Burns
Monahan
Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #152
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ are we now just naming pretty good players who aren’t the very fastest skaters?

Lots of those guys have never sniffed 100 points
Old 09-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #153
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ are we now just naming pretty good players who aren’t the very fastest skaters?

100 points is an arbitrary number that very few players reach now. The larger argument is whether or not you can be an elite offensive player without blazing speed. The answer to that is clearly yes.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #154
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

I think this is all irrelevant to the point of the discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I personally don't think Tkachuk is worth $8M let alone $10M, but the hockey experts think the world of Tkachuk. I think he's a solid player, but offensively I can't see him being the franchise player some make him out to be. He's not Marchand offensively and it's hard to say if he ever will be, but they're paying for future projected value and maybe $8M is appropriate, but $10M would be gross overkill for a player who's not offensively gifted at the high end.
The 100-point mark was used as an unreachable projection on the basis of comparing Tkachuk to Marchand, whom this poster has asserted to be a superior offensive player. I emphatically disagree, at least insofar as how good Tkachuk will be, since he is already miles ahead of where Marchand was at his age.

In short, yes, Tkachuk realistically projects to be at least as good as Brad Marchand, because he is already a lot better than Marchand was at the same age.

Yes, Tkachuk's offensive abilities are absolutely "high end"; he is an elite-level scoring talent in spite of his shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #155
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I don't think it's odd. Just because a contract doesn't have zeroes after the first number, doesn't mean it's not significant. Even if the contract was $10.000 M * 6 years, it still has the exact same amount of significant digits. 0 and 3 are both numbers.

What I do think is odd is how you had a full on hissy fit after your first working to confirm comment when you got called out on it. Now you think if you put it most of your posts that we'll all think it doesn't bother you. I look forward to your response of how it actually doesn't bother you.

That's not even close to what I meant and you know it. Are you this condescending in person?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #156
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I always thought that teams had to be cap compliant on day 1 and could only start exceeding the cap after LTIR started to accrue.

Apparently that's not the case and it makes me wonder why teams were giving assets to Arizona over the years rather than just using their LTIR contracts to exceed the cap?

Because you don’t simply subtract the LTIR amounts, you can only use them to get to the cap ceiling. So, you aren accruing any space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #157
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honest question

How many 100 point players have questions about their skating?
Lots over the years and last year it was Draisaitl
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #158
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Marner's agent says his client was presented with 2 offer sheets

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/...8637821.127610
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #159
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Marner's agent says his client was presented with 2 offer sheets

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/...8637821.127610

Didn’t take them because he knew he could just get more from Dubas :-)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #160
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That means Tkachuk has probably received one or two as well, I bet.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote