Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL should concede and allow its players to go to the next Olympics and then just test for cocaine a month before it's about to begin. They wouldn't even need to adjust the schedule, only four or five players would be eligible to go.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So now Washington can "Mike Richards" his 7.8 x 6 remaining cap hit if his on ice performance slides?
No.

Cocaine is likely prevalent enough where the NHLPA could reasonably point to other players on the team trying to punt a guy they didn't want, and say "if it's conduct unbecoming, why aren't those other [good] players also terminated"?

I've heard pretty solid stories about a bad but overpaid player being a coke user, but, from the same source, rumours about very good players on the same team also using coke. So that team could never terminate the "bad" player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flyin high on and off the ice

Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that gets me about this is that he must have been using pretty close to the test time. Unless he is a very frequent user, the typical test halflife time is something like 1 day. Hence the more frequent abuse of cocaine in drug test heavy industries (like our very own oil sands.) It's not like weed where it can stay in your system for a month.

If you know you're likely to be tested, why not take a night off from the nose clams? I don't care to comment on the actual use of drugs, but it seems plain stupid/irresponsible to me to use so close to a potential testing window.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
The thing that gets me about this is that he must have been using pretty close to the test time. Unless he is a very frequent user, the typical test halflife time is something like 1 day. Hence the more frequent abuse of cocaine in drug test heavy industries (like our very own oil sands.) It's not like weed where it can stay in your system for a month.

If you know you're likely to be tested, why not take a night off from the nose clams? I don't care to comment on the actual use of drugs, but it seems plain stupid/irresponsible to me to use so close to a potential testing window.
We don't know what test they used. They could have tested his hair.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #26
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

2018 Stanley Cup Champions **************
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta love dat booger sugar
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Ya, cocaine is a socially excepted drug these days (in a lot of circles). Definitely not performance enhancing. Scary with the fentanyl taint these days, But really most ppl that are recreational users are not negatively affected by it.
The Fentanyl tainting is a myth my man FYI . . . . .
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No.

Cocaine is likely prevalent enough where the NHLPA could reasonably point to other players on the team trying to punt a guy they didn't want, and say "if it's conduct unbecoming, why aren't those other [good] players also terminated"?

I've heard pretty solid stories about a bad but overpaid player being a coke user, but, from the same source, rumours about very good players on the same team also using coke. So that team could never terminate the "bad" player.
Chung got arrest for coke usage from his house in New Hampshire.

Criminal records are not great for border crossings.

Like all crimes, it doesn't have significant ramifications until you are caught.

Try getting across the USA border with a cocaine conviction.

If a team wants to dump a poor performer bad contract that is a regular coke user does not seem to be that hard of a setup to get them caught. How did Mike Richards get caught at the border?

Really bad for growing the game if the NHLPA comes out and says that a solid portion of their association is using a schedule 1 narcotic.

Last edited by ricardodw; 08-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Don't spread misinformation. Thhis is from the 2018 Alberta Opioid Response Surveillance Report

Quote:
Confirmed drug poisoning deaths
 Among all confirmed drug and alcohol poisoning deaths (accidental and suicide) in 2017 and 2018, opioids (fentanyl or non-fentanyl) were directly involved in 78 per cent of deaths. 22 per cent of all confirmed drug and alcohol poisoning deaths (accidental and suicide) did not involve any opioid.
 Multiple substances are often used at the same time as opioids, including fentanyl. This may be a result ofan individual using multiple substances including opioids, or through the contamination of drugs with opioidssuch as fentanyl.
 In 2018, 77 per cent of accidental fentanyl related deaths listed at least one other substance as contributing to death, the most frequent being methamphetamine and cocaine.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 08-23-2019 at 10:54 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Don't spread misinformation. Thhis is from the 2018 Alberta Opioid Response Surveillance Report
I thought the worst quote on this page was the claim that “recreational users aren’t negatively affected” by fentanyl.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #32
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1164919537629716481
Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, cocaine is a socially excepted drug these days (in a lot of circles). Definitely not performance enhancing. Scary with the fentanyl taint these days, But really most ppl that are recreational users are not negatively affected by it.
I never understood anyone would want fen in their coke or why anyone would want to sell something like that to their customers. It seems like a waste of both drugs to combine them and the dangers of mixing strong stimulants with strong depressants are just too high.

It's good that he is taking ownership and I think he sounds sincere, but I do have to chuckle when they say it is "voluntary" that he is seeking help. He is in a situation where it is really the only choice he can make.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #34
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

A four year suspension from international play for cocaine is absurd.

Two games at most. It's coke, guys - they only think they're faster.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #35
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
It most def is not.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #36
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It most def is not.
In Alberta 32% of of the people who died because of fentanyl also had Cocaine in their system. Whether or not it was tainted is unclear nevertheless something like 596 people died from an apparent accidental fentanyl poisoning in 2018. I am not a math magician but the better part of 190 people died while doing cocaine and fentanyl. Of course they could have been doing them separately, but suggesting that the risk is not real is very far from the truth.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/f4b7...rt-2018-q4.pdf
Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #37
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, cocaine is a socially excepted drug these days (in a lot of circles).

This is the slippery slope we're on since we legalized marijuana... I personally don't care what anyone does that doesn't effect me... but why not legalize cocaine now? I think the government should just decriminalize all of it (not legalize it) and try and get help to all those who seek help - and get out of the "family" business.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #38
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It most def is not.
Actually I can confirm that it is, most cases of "tainted" or "laced" issues that exist are the drug users error not tampered drugs
Old 08-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #39
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
In Alberta 32% of of the people who died because of fentanyl also had Cocaine in their system. Whether or not it was tainted is unclear nevertheless something like 596 people died from an apparent accidental fentanyl poisoning in 2018. I am not a math magician but the better part of 190 people died while doing cocaine and fentanyl. Of course they could have been doing them separately, but suggesting that the risk is not real is very far from the truth.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/f4b7...rt-2018-q4.pdf
I am not going to spend anymore time arguing this, however I will say this. Many users are using both drugs heavily. And in fact use it quite often at the exact same time.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harsh penalty.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote