Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #861
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Screwball. Doc on Netflix about the Biogenesis steroid scandal. It’s wild. Might be crazier than Icarus.

If even half the stuff they say it’s true, then MLB is insanely corrupt and this should be getting way more attention. We’re talking intentional criminal action by MLB that’s so brazen yet incompetent that it’s hilarious.
Follow up to this. I posted about 3/4 thru the doc.

MLB and their shady tactics is a relatively small part of the doc, it mostly focuses on the guys who actually ran biogenesis.

A-Rod is a total weirdo and I can’t believe he has a career in broadcasting, what a scumbag. It also briefly touches on known criminal and scumbag Florida Gov Rick Scott and how corrupt Florida is.

Pretty much everyone in the doc is a total piece of garbage, including Bud Selig and everyone at MLB. As a review on Letterboxd stated it’s basically a 105 minute Florida Man meme.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #862
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Follow up to this. I posted about 3/4 thru the doc.

MLB and their shady tactics is a relatively small part of the doc, it mostly focuses on the guys who actually ran biogenesis.

A-Rod is a total weirdo and I can’t believe he has a career in broadcasting, what a scumbag. It also briefly touches on known criminal and scumbag Florida Gov Rick Scott and how corrupt Florida is.

Pretty much everyone in the doc is a total piece of garbage, including Bud Selig and everyone at MLB. As a review on Letterboxd stated it’s basically a 105 minute Florida Man meme.
Alright, now I'm in. I knew the rest of that stuff long before.

Fun fact, my uncle-in-law is Steve Wilstein, one of the first reporters that broke the story on steroids. We've talked about this subject a LOT.

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/sto...steroids&num=8
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #863
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
IT was definitely a step down from the first one. I agree that the actors did a great job of impersonating the kids but the director really threw it in your face. There were constant flashbacks between the older and younger actors.

Finn Wolfhard had to be de-aged already and it was distracting. They really should have filmed the kid scenes at the same time as the first movie.

It also wasn't particularly scary.

I'd give it a 6/10. Looked great. Acted great but the story was meh and wasn't really that creepy.
Yeah, the de-aging CGI was really noticeable. I understand why they had to do it but it definitely took away from those scenes.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #864
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoyed It Chapter 2. A bit too long for sure, but overall I thought it was a fun and worthy conclusion to the story. The actors were all terrific IMO, particularly Hader and McAvoy.

I still prefer Chapter 1 though, as it's a slightly better film.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #865
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I loved It Chapter 2. It did not feel too long to me, but I enjoy long movies so take my opinion with that in mind.

Cons- the horrid de-aging cgi on the kid actors and in a couple instances some poorly timed jokes interrupted the tone of a scary scene.

I don't find either movie particularly scary so I can't judge them on that basis. I'll just say that I think they're both equally good. May need extra viewings and a chance to let them both sink in.

If you're on the fence because of the mixed reviews, I'd highly recommend going and making up your own mind. I was worried but I ended up loving it.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #866
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yeah, the de-aging CGI was really noticeable. I understand why they had to do it but it definitely took away from those scenes.
I wouldn't have even bothered with the de-aging. I'd rather see a kid look slightly older than have this weird creepy thing going on with their face. It was really bad in a few shots. I couldn't even concentrate on what the kids were saying because what I was seeing was uncomfortably scrambling some part of my brain. You could also tell they changed the pitch of their voices in post production for some parts.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #867
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damned children and their relentless propensity for growing! Have they no respect for the craft? For the work? For the story?

I blame millennials!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #868
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly the solution is to clone child actors every 2 years until they die. Then you can film them at any age. Seems pretty simple.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #869
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Clearly the solution is to clone child actors every 2 years until they die. Then you can film them at any age. Seems pretty simple.
Naw man....Robots. Robots are the way.

Plus then we can really revitalize the Terminator films into a psuedo documentary once the Child Robots we created for our entertainment overthrow us...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #870
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

911 Cleared for Chaos is an excellent documentary!! Highly recommend.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #871
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The only thing scary in Hereditary is everyone’s inability to use a knife properly. It’s still enjoyable but it’s more of a thriller than horror.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #872
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rocketman was amazing, loved every minute of it. IMO it was better than Bohemian Rhapsody (BR was still good, just not as good IMO), hopefully it gets some awards love as I could see a best actor and best picture nomination at the Oscars. Unfortunately this didn't hit with audiences as much as it made $700 million less world wide.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #873
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a fan of the John Wick movies but I thought the latest one was kind of boring and pointless. The formula of throwing waves of guys at Wick to beat up over and over has got stale. Also how long can one suspend belief that enemies in numbers will continue to only attack him one or two at a time and not simply put him down with a gun shot rather than wait in line to be the next guy to take him on with a knife?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #874
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

It 2 felt rushed and dragged out at the same time.

It was ok, but not nearly as good as IT part one.

Its actually jarring to watch them back to back and see how drastically different the pacing and writing is. Part two was weak as hell in most areas.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:18 AM   #875
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ad Astra. Apocalypse now meets 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or tried. It was on the right track until it did what almost all movies do in 2019, rush the ending and leave it feeling very thin. Visually stunning, worth the IMAX experience for that alone. But left wanting it completed. Like I said, it almost achieved its goal, ran out of gas before it could finish the race.

Ill give it 4 hot dogs out of 6.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 AM   #876
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Rocketman was amazing, loved every minute of it. IMO it was better than Bohemian Rhapsody (BR was still good, just not as good IMO), hopefully it gets some awards love as I could see a best actor and best picture nomination at the Oscars. Unfortunately this didn't hit with audiences as much as it made $700 million less world wide.
Also really liked it. Musicals aren't my thing, but this was very well done. Not a true musical so much so much as a story wrapped around Elton John's life. The movies definitely did a better job of conveying the emotions of the protagonist than Bohemian Rhapsody did.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #877
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm a fan of the John Wick movies but I thought the latest one was kind of boring and pointless. The formula of throwing waves of guys at Wick to beat up over and over has got stale. Also how long can one suspend belief that enemies in numbers will continue to only attack him one or two at a time and not simply put him down with a gun shot rather than wait in line to be the next guy to take him on with a knife?

It was especially silly as the bad guys were motivated by a very large bounty. It's unlikely they would wait for the other assassins to get out of the way before shooting.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #878
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It was especially silly as the bad guys were motivated by a very large bounty. It's unlikely they would wait for the other assassins to get out of the way before shooting.
The John Wick universe is fantastical with a society of assassins and their system of honour and rules. I’m sure the writers would explain that they have to kill him a certain way, which is probably why they showed the one guy who attacked him early.

I’m more annoyed because I had hoped they would start explaining what this society was, but instead it just got more convoluted. I think that’s to keep the mythos of John Wick alive, or it could just be lazy writing.

I enjoy these movies as dumb, violent escapism, so I don’t mind the plot holes so much.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #879
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175060258399481857

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #880
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ad Astra. Apocalypse now meets 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or tried. It was on the right track until it did what almost all movies do in 2019, rush the ending and leave it feeling very thin. Visually stunning, worth the IMAX experience for that alone. But left wanting it completed. Like I said, it almost achieved its goal, ran out of gas before it could finish the race.

Ill give it 4 hot dogs out of 6.
Would you say it's appropriate for children? I read there are a couple frightening scenes, and it is PG 13. My son's level of mature movies he's seen has been Black Panther and Interstellar.

I can't find any reviews online if it would be appropriate.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote