Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Shaw Digital Phone Light

Hey All,

Just found out Shaw is releasing Shaw digital phone light. I called the CSR and the release date is Dec. 4th. Will be aimed at people who don't need all the long distance and includes 3 or 4 features: call display is one, but definitely not voice mail.

29.99/month, not introductory

I think bye bye to telus and their 7.95/month call display fee.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Interesting. Why would they not include Voice Mail? If this is true, you'd have to assume that they would include it as an 'extra'. The cost would then end up being very close to a similar package from Telus (my monthly bill totals around $40) ... assuming a cost for the Voice Mail service of $5 or so. Not nearly a big enough difference in cost to consider changing providers.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
flmsfan2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is my personal opinion, but I would suggest that you think more before you get shaw's digital phone. My parents have it and I personally hate it and would never get it. This is only my experience... I've never talk to anyone else who has it. But I find there is a noticeable delay when you pick up the ringing phone...if you say "hello" too fast like I often do the person doesn't hear anything and you get a strange "Hello?" from the person calling you.
Also, when the other line goes the phone doesn't just beep, it periodically also makes these indescribable crackling noises.
I also notice that sometimes when I'm calling my house it doesn't ring as fast as it does when you call a normal land line...I've often hung up and redialed because it didn't seem to be connecting.
Also, we have the voice mail and I personally again don't like it... our answering machine picks up if no one is home, but if the 2 lines are being used then it goes to shaw's voicemail. My parents never know when they have a waiting voice mail as it only displays it on the screen of the caller id... which they apparently don't look at. I notice because my phone blinks blue which is very irritating, but none of our other phones have this "voice mail" blinker.
Anyhow, that is my 2 cents. I'd be interested to hear if other people who have shaw's digital phone experience the same thing or maybe we have a bad cable or something like that.

flmsfan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Almost a full year with Shaw phone service and not one problem. no delay when calling (even long distance to Poland) no downtime,all in all really happy.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmsfan2004 View Post
This is my personal opinion, but I would suggest that you think more before you get shaw's digital phone. My parents have it and I personally hate it and would never get it. This is only my experience... I've never talk to anyone else who has it. But I find there is a noticeable delay when you pick up the ringing phone...if you say "hello" too fast like I often do the person doesn't hear anything and you get a strange "Hello?" from the person calling you.
Also, when the other line goes the phone doesn't just beep, it periodically also makes these indescribable crackling noises.
Sounds like it's the phone to me. I've had these problems with Telus before, and a replacement of the phone worked. It was slow engaging the call. Now, if it's a hard-wired phone, then you got me.

Have had shaw phone for 11 months now. I enjoy it and only have had a problem with it once, and that was when the line was cut. I may switch to light though since I don't find myself using long distance enough to warrant the $55/mth.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit!! I wish I still worked for Shaw. They are going to sell this product like CRAZY!! Everyone asked for this, I am amazed it has come so soon.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Funny, I called them 2 weeks ago looking for something like this. They said there were no plans.

If you are right, bye bye to Telus for me!
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have VONAGE. 39.99 unlimited local and log distance calling in North America and Ireland. Includes every feature you can think of. Have only had if for a month but no problems yet.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolinar of malkshor View Post
I have VONAGE. 39.99 unlimited local and log distance calling in North America and Ireland. Includes every feature you can think of. Have only had if for a month but no problems yet.
God forbid you ever have to call 911 and cant speak into the phone for whatever reason you will be in some very big trouble. Vonage does not have enhanced 911, in fact if you call 911 from a Vonage line they dont even know what city you are in and you have to speak to a Vonage rep first who then re-directs your call to the proper 911 call centre. Not a service I would personally use, esspecially if I had childern in the home.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
God forbid you ever have to call 911 and cant speak into the phone for whatever reason you will be in some very big trouble. Vonage does not have enhanced 911, in fact if you call 911 from a Vonage line they dont even know what city you are in and you have to speak to a Vonage rep first who then re-directs your call to the proper 911 call centre. Not a service I would personally use, esspecially if I had childern in the home.
Actually your right and wrong. They have it all set up with my exact address and phone number so if I call they will know where I am at. Must be new or something. Check their website out. Your right in the fact that the address doesn't show up when 911 is called...but my address is with Vonage...so if I can;t talk....they send someone to my address.

Last edited by jolinar of malkshor; 11-24-2006 at 09:41 PM.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #11
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had one problem with my entire cable line in that affected my TV, internet and phone line. They came in pretty quick and resolved it with no return problems at all. I have the existing feature but don't care about the internal voice mail so I wonder if I can step down to light?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and as for 911, it was explained to me that the emergency responders get more information about your locale, rather than less with the traditional service.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have been with Shaw since it came to Okotoks. Couldn't be happier.
I love not having $100 phone bills and mystery charges every month.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolinar of malkshor View Post
Actually your right and wrong. They have it all set up with my exact address and phone number so if I call they will know where I am at. Must be new or something. Check their website out. Your right in the fact that the address doesn't show up when 911 is called...but my address is with Vonage...so if I can;t talk....they send someone to my address.
Hmm thats not bad then, that must be a new addtion to there service as they didnt have the ability to do that when I last looked into it which was about 6-8 months ago.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep, lets hope the CSR I talked to is right about the release date, I can't wait. Since this is coming anyway, i'm thinking about doing the full digital phone on the intro offer right away, and then downgrading to light when the package ends.

This is great too because shaw digital phone is a preferred provider of the alarm system we have since it's not VIOP over internet, but instead a dedicated network.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #16
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Yep, lets hope the CSR I talked to is right about the release date, I can't wait.
I called last night. The CSR I talked to had just gotten the basics of the details, but she said to wait until December 4 as well.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #17
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I called last night. The CSR I talked to had just gotten the basics of the details, but she said to wait until December 4 as well.
Sweet...it might be a good idea to sign up for shaw digital phone now, and avoid the huge rush on the 4th. It's free for your first month, then 29.95 for 3 months, then you can downgrade to light.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If bell could hire the entire customer service and billing wing of shaw I would be in heaven
as an employee of Shaw i find this comment very amusing. i've never dealt with Bell, but they have to have some terrible customer service reps if Shaw looks like a shining beacon of light comparatively
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #19
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Comparing Shaw's CSRs to Bell's is like comparing Kipper to Le Goalie

(That's with Kipper being Shaw.)
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
flmsfan2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well... shaw's digital cable is "down" right now...which means only cell phones until shaw fixes whatever issues it's having in calgary and southern alberta. Once again confirming my choice that when I move, Shaw isn't going to even be an option for my home phone.

flmsfan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote