Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Question regarding CMHC/Second Property

I'm having some trouble with the Google and finding current information regarding CMHC's new regulations for insured mortgages.

As I understand it you cannot have 2 insured mortgages under your name.

So as little as a year ago I could be living in a 1 BR condo that I put 10% down on. But then decided that I wanted to upgrade yo something bigger. So I would have purchased a larger condo or house with 10% down and rented out my previously owned 1 BR.

If I understand it correctly, this is no longer possible?

Clarification on this is much appreciated.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

It is, there is still Genworth and Canada Guarantee to be insured through.
You are correct though, CMHC will not give insurance on a second property.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe CMHC changed this at the end of May, so you just missed out if CMHC was your preferred insurer.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
gartman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i kind of have a similar question if anyone can answer
If someone has property that is not cmhc insured (i believe its 20% down?) can you obtain an additional property cmhc insured 5% down with new rules?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartman View Post
If someone has property that is not cmhc insured (i believe its 20% down?) can you obtain an additional property cmhc insured 5% down with new rules?
Need 20% down for second property, CMHC won't insure it. Not sure about Genworth.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm sure many here know more than I or have first hand experience, but it seems the info available is kinda confusing.

There's a difference between needing 20% on your second property and only allowing one insured property between 2.

The vague info I could find seems to suggest the latter. If you currently own a property that is not insured by CMHC, then you are able to purchase a second property with an insured mortgage.

The info I have seen isn't very specific, so I could be wrong.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Practically speaking, is getting a Genworth or CG mortgage any more difficult than a CMHC one? Will it result in a (significantly) higher rate because of the perceived risk?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Practically speaking, is getting a Genworth or CG mortgage any more difficult than a CMHC one? Will it result in a (significantly) higher rate because of the perceived risk?
Very similar underwriting guidelines between insurers. I have had some deals declined by CMHC, so I flipped it over to either Genworth or CG, and they approved. It's also happened the opposite way, so it really is on a deal to deal basis.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm having some trouble with the Google and finding current information regarding CMHC's new regulations for insured mortgages.

As I understand it you cannot have 2 insured mortgages under your name.

So as little as a year ago I could be living in a 1 BR condo that I put 10% down on. But then decided that I wanted to upgrade yo something bigger. So I would have purchased a larger condo or house with 10% down and rented out my previously owned 1 BR.

If I understand it correctly, this is no longer possible?

Clarification on this is much appreciated.
Hi sa226, just joined Calgarypuck and noticed your thread. Might be too late to assist but I thought I would respond anyways.

It is correct that NEW rule changes occured regarding 2nd homes. CMHC did make a change that prevents home owners getting a 2nd home with just 5% down. However, the rule does not prevent consumers from buying a 2nd home with 5%... it means that we have 2 other insurers to go to for your purchase.

You are still able to purchase a 2nd home with 5% down as long as it falls under the following categories:
1- it will be an owner occupied property
2- it is a 2nd home you are purchasing for yourself or a family member. There are some guidelines that apply so if you are not sure, please enquire.

Your above scenario would work since the new property will become an owner occupied property. CMHC will not do this scenario because the current property is insured, but Genworth and Canada Guaranty will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartman View Post
Hi gartman, CMHC will look at a new purchase at 5% down payment since the current property was not insured (greater than 20% down payment). Note that if CMHC decides not to approve (which they can), there are the other 2 insurers that will look at this for sure.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

The Following User Says Thank You to Mortgage Made Easy For This Useful Post: