Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If there was a bridge deal for under 4 a year for Nurse you can bet that deal would have been signed now. I expect Nurse's agent looked at the rest of the Oilers blueline, looked at dead weights like Russell and Sekeras and Larsson between 4.1 and 5.5 and said that his client is clearly the guy on that blueline and will be their top blueliner starting this year and asked for Sekeras money.

I would think there's a good chance that Nurse isn't at training camp or the start of the season, and the Oilers are desparately trying to trade salary right now. Unfortunately for the Oilers they have mostly dead weight taking salary so either they bribe a team to take Lucic or RNH is going to be moved.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #122
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
He's what this team needed so badly, and I believe we all thought we never had a chance at a top RW in FA without overpaying through the teeth.

It says so much and he is just what this team needs

J Neal has experience and he wants to win badly, commented that he wants to help the young guys experience that next level. He also has insight into how Vegas approached the games, style of play and is close friends with Mike Smith He even knows about the Sea of Red! If there is anyone that can get the players to buy in and catch the next wave, I think JN is just what the team needs. He is a better fit with the Flames.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 09-02-2018 at 11:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #123
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Hanifin vs Nurse

Here are the shot maps for last season for both players. Keep in mind that the Oilers as a whole are a tire fire for giving up shot attempts from the money areas so none of their defensemen look great ... but Nurse is one of the worst.

Both dmen are left defenders.

Nurse:

As a left side defender that is not good. Blood red on his side as he's created is own little war zone for Talbot.

Hanifin (facing less stiff opposition)

Here it's nice and blue ... trouble is coming from the right side which was Van Riemsdyk for most of the season.

Teams for fun ....

Edmonton:

Team wide they just give up a lot from the pay dirt areas.

Flames:

Look how peaceful that looks. Lots of light colours, as they didn't give up as much.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #124
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Hanifin vs Nurse

Here are the shot maps for last season for both players. Keep in mind that the Oilers as a whole are a tire fire for giving up shot attempts from the money areas so none of their defensemen look great ... but Nurse is one of the worst.

Both dmen are left defenders.

Nurse:

As a left side defender that is not good. Blood red on his side as he's created is own little war zone for Talbot.

Hanifin (facing less stiff opposition)

Here it's nice and blue ... trouble is coming from the right side which was Van Riemsdyk for most of the season.

Teams for fun ....

Edmonton:

Team wide they just give up a lot from the pay dirt areas.

Flames:

Look how peaceful that looks. Lots of light colours, as they didn't give up as much.
That is impressive, and quite interesting looking at the Left vs Right side of the ice. It’s tough to blame a heat map solely on a single player, but when it splits down the middle like that, the connection is easier to make.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #125
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out the pink zone outside the oilers blue line!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #126
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
That is impressive, and quite interesting looking at the Left vs Right side of the ice. It’s tough to blame a heat map solely on a single player, but when it splits down the middle like that, the connection is easier to make.
It's the only thing I can find on the Hamilton front that points to maybe getting some help defensively from Giordano.

Pretty clear which side of the ice the danger is coming from ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #127
doncherry
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

“ McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Strome, and Brodziach is very possibly the best group of centers in the nhl. Strome a solid 3rd line center, Brodziach a solid 4th. The rest all top 6 or better... What teams are you comparing the Oilers roster to and come up with such nonsense.”

Hf poster, the delusions are strong

The context is whether or not the coil make the playoffs, and I believe this fellow thinks the “best” group of centers = great team depth

I laugh.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #128
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncherry View Post
“ McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Strome, and Brodziach is very possibly the best group of centers in the nhl. Strome a solid 3rd line center, Brodziach a solid 4th. The rest all top 6 or better... What teams are you comparing the Oilers roster to and come up with such nonsense.”

Hf poster, the delusions are strong

The context is whether or not the coil make the playoffs, and I believe this fellow thinks the “best” group of centers = great team depth

I laugh.
Its not a bad group of centers, except that either Nuge or Draisaitl will be a winger this year. I would expect that Draisaitl is going to be forced to produce or die on his own line, something that he hasn't done as well without McDavid.

Strome is terrible, Brodziak is 34 years old, I'm betting on that garbage 4th line he does nothing.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #129
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They're not all going to play center. So in reality you'll have two above average centers for their position on the depth chart then two meh to below average centers that most other teams wouldn't hypothetically trade for to center their bottom six on a good day.

Then meh to below average winger depth.

Then meh to below average defensive depth.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #130
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
They're not all going to play center. So in reality you'll have two above average centers for their position on the depth chart then two meh to below average centers that most other teams wouldn't hypothetically trade for to center their bottom six on a good day.

Then meh to below average winger depth.

Then meh to below average defensive depth.
Hold on though ...

If they don't all have to play center than the Flames can claim their center ice is Monahan, Backlund, Ryan, Jankowski, Lindholm, Bennett, Czarnik and Lazar!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #131
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean, might as well hand the cup over right now with that depth, amirite?
Damn.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #132
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If there was a bridge deal for under 4 a year for Nurse you can bet that deal would have been signed now. I expect Nurse's agent looked at the rest of the Oilers blueline, looked at dead weights like Russell and Sekeras and Larsson between 4.1 and 5.5 and said that his client is clearly the guy on that blueline and will be their top blueliner starting this year and asked for Sekeras money.

I would think there's a good chance that Nurse isn't at training camp or the start of the season, and the Oilers are desparately trying to trade salary right now. Unfortunately for the Oilers they have mostly dead weight taking salary so either they bribe a team to take Lucic or RNH is going to be moved.

He's probably just sitting around praying for an offer sheet.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #133
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
He's probably just sitting around praying for an offer sheet.

No, I'm thinking that his starting position is a long term deal = highest paid defenseman on the roster. Bridge deal = between first and second guy since he's likely to be on the Oilers top pairing before the end of the deal.

So

Long term = 8 years 5.85
Bridge deal = 2 years 4.85

Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #134
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, I'm thinking that his starting position is a long term deal = highest paid defenseman on the roster. Bridge deal = between first and second guy since he's likely to be on the Oilers top pairing before the end of the deal.

So

Long term = 8 years 5.85
8 years is going to cost more than that due to the number of UFA years involved, and will obviously require some salary to move out. Bridge will have to be less because there simply isn't enough cap space there. Maybe 1 year @ 3.5M (the problem being that the Oilers can't demonstrate with certainty that Sekara won't return before the end of the year).

In the end, some salary will have to move out for any long-term deal to be signed, unless they bridge Nurse long enough for cap increases to get them out of cap hell. The problem, however, is that I'm sure he won't be signing for any more than 1 year if the deal is less than 4M.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-02-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #135
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Sekera going on LTIR, help the Oilers to sign Nurse once the season starts?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #136
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Does Sekera going on LTIR, help the Oilers to sign Nurse once the season starts?
I'm no expert on this, but if I understand correctly, it only helps if Sekara is out all season. You can't bank LTIR, and if Sekara returns, both of their salaries have to fit under the cap. This is likely why the Oilers have essentially done nothing in the off-season, they simply have no cap space to play with unless they trade away a significant asset.

When it comes to cap management, E=NG

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-03-2018 at 12:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #137
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So

Long term = 8 years 5.85
Can't see him giving up 3 UFA years for a mill. also, long term is too low and bridge is too high.

Nurse has the hammer as the oilers are weak at D for organizational depth.

Long term = 8 years 6.25
Bridge Deal = 1 year 3.25 or 2 years 3.75
Old 09-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #138
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Umm Oilers long term deals are always a min of 6 mill x7 aren’t they?
Jack that 8 year number up!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #139
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Nurse situation is getting kind of funny now with Hanafin signed..
Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #140
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just saw an HF’er say 3 mill on a bridge deal thanks to the Hanafin signing.
I love that board and it’s self-contained reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybean For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread