Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Denon AVR-891

Hey guys, just bought a Bose system w/ the Denon receiver, and got everything all hooked up, only to turn the receiver on, and within 2 seconds it goes into standby (blinking red light). Phoned Future Shop to see if something was wrong, maybe thought I had a wire touching another, so I unplugged all the wiring except power chord, and turned it on - same thing.

Ideas? Thoughts? Future Shop says the thing is faulty and will give me a $50 gift card, problem being I live 4-5 hours away from any Future Shop and won't be back for some time.

Am I pooched?
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i don't know the details of why you are getting the standby thing...but yes i would return it without hesitation. why keep the thing when it is broken and you are under warranty/30 days?

i would buy this one at costco; http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....A&Sp=C&topnav=

avr 991 > avr 891

avr 991 has the same innards as the avr 3311, with a missing zone and the missing dual hdmi out. i looked really hard at the 991 but am going with the 3311 because i need that dual hdmi. there are some other differences but a quick search will tell you what they are.

cost wise, without the sale at futureshop, they are the same. costco isn't a denon dealer but the website says that they will take it back for the duration of the warranty...which would be 2 years iirc. i think a costco card adds a 3rd year of warranty.

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the troubleshooting guide, it could be a few problems (all pretty standard when an amp goes in protect mode)

-The temperature inside the unit has risen. Please turn off power once, and re-apply the power after the temperature has fallen sufficiently.
• Please re-install this unit in a place having good ventilation.
– –
-The power indicator is blinking red in intervals of approximately 0.5 seconds.
• Please use speakers which have the specified impedance. • The speaker cable has shorted (is touching). Firmly twist the core wire in the speaker cable, and then re-connect it to the speaker
terminal.

-After turning on the power, the power indicator is blinking red in intervals of approximately 0.5 seconds.
• This unit amplifier circuit has failed. Turn off the power and please contact the DENON service adviser.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote