Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #661
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am fairly convinced that when Bennett is still playing NHL hockey in another five years you will still be banging away on this ridiculous, long-since refuted drum of yours about him being a replacement-level player. At this point it almost doesn't matter what he does; doubling-down has quite obviously become the most important thing for you in this discussion.
If Bennett is still in the NHL after his next contract I will happily let you rub it in my face about how wrong I was. Bookmark it. Look forward to it if you must, but I am confident that Bennett does not have the talent to maintain a career in the NHL much longer.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #662
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No, the results that Bennett produces in Florida will put that to rest. I once sold a car to a fool that believed it was "collectable" and had way more value that it really had.
But you told me it was Jon Voight's car!!!!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #663
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was John Voyt. Clearly said so on the previous title. ;-)
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #664
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Bennett is still in the NHL after his next contract I will happily let you rub it in my face about how wrong I was. Bookmark it. Look forward to it if you must, but I am confident that Bennett does not have the talent to maintain a career in the NHL much longer.
I wouldn't go that far. Who knows maybe he'll turn it around and still be an effective 3rd or 4th liner when he realizes that an 82 regular game schedule is just as important as the playoffs. Or, if he realizes that the teams he'll be playing on has everyone showing up all the time (even in the playoffs) and he needs to bust his ass to earn his spot. Or, maybe he just doesn't care and you'll be right. But I think he'll go through at least several teams before he figures it out or he'll be out of the big leagues. I'm just glad the Flames don't have to keep its hopes up that he'll turn it around. Let him and some other team do that. Maybe the team is now winning without all that drama.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #665
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I am rubbing your face in it now because you somehow refuse to just let him move on and insist on pontificating about how he is the worst player in the NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #666
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This is bringing back Flashbacks of Where R U Chris O'Sullivans Mikael Backlund signature.

He was pretty convinced around 2012 that "Backs" would be in the KHL by 2014.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #667
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Who knows maybe he'll turn it around and still be an effective 3rd or 4th liner when he realizes that an 82 regular game schedule is just as important as the playoffs. Or, if he realizes that the teams he'll be playing on has everyone showing up all the time (even in the playoffs) and he needs to bust his ass to earn his spot. Or, maybe he just doesn't care and you'll be right. But I think he'll go through at least several teams before he figures it out or he'll be out of the big leagues. I'm just glad the Flames don't have to keep its hopes up that he'll turn it around. Let him and some other team do that. Maybe the team is now winning without all that drama.
I see Bennett on the same trajectory as Sven. He might have another year in the NHL and then he trend towards the AHL.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #668
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am rubbing your face in it now because you somehow refuse to just let him move on and insist on pontificating about how he is the worst player in the NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
He wasn't even the worst player on the Flames lol.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #669
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, the results that Bennett produces in Florida will put that to rest.
And you already know what those results will be, do you?

Of all the stupid arguments invented by humanity, the argumentum ad futurum is by far the most stupid.

‘I'm right and you're wrong! And my evidence is that the future is going to prove me right, and I know it will because I'm right!’

As another poster has pointed out, Bennett was not even the worst player on the Calgary Flames this year. Last off-season the team picked up several forwards who actually are replacement-level players by the strict definition of the term, and Bennett outperformed all of them.

So you are forced to fall back on evidence that you are sure is coming Real Soon Now™. Give it up.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #670
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
And you already know what those results will be, do you?

Of all the stupid arguments invented by humanity, the argumentum ad futurum is by far the most stupid.

‘I'm right and you're wrong! And my evidence is that the future is going to prove me right, and I know it will because I'm right!’

As another poster has pointed out, Bennett was not even the worst player on the Calgary Flames this year. Last off-season the team picked up several forwards who actually are replacement-level players by the strict definition of the term, and Bennett outperformed all of them.

So you are forced to fall back on evidence that you are sure is coming Real Soon Now™. Give it up.

Some people do it for attention; If they keep arguing the same point over and over people give them more attention. I don't really think they are all that serious about Bennett. The argument, or idea that their point of view is superior to anyone who differs is just attention seeking. I don't consider New Era to be a troll though as he is one of the first guys to give Bennett credit if he has good game. He has a lot of good posts, but unfortunately his takes on Sam Bennett just make him look like he is seeking more attention.

Some of these other posters though posting "Bennett" one liners in the middle of threads have been doing this for awhile. The opportunity to bait and derail a good thread during a Flames win comes from a consistent group of people. Too bad there isn't a way to ban the word Bennett from their posting, this way they would have to post something more thought out or useful.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 04-16-2021 at 06:57 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #671
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the return itself pretty much nukes the replacement player argument.

An actual outcome (Florida GM wanting Bennett and surrendering two assets) pretty much puts to rest that he as a replacement level player.
I'm just going to throw this out there.

Bill Zito's time as GM is all about buying low on players. He looks for guys that have had pedigree or hints of greatness, but for whatever reason, not found a way to be good players. His M.O. is that if you do this often enough, you'll get a guy that performs above his contract, and in Florida, that's always important to do for internal cap reasons. Buy low, sell high. The classic stockmarket approach to running a team under cash constraints.

Sam Bennett is another in the line of guys like Hornqvist (declining), Duclair (suitcase player), Verhaeghe and Marchment (career minor leaguer about to pop), Montour and Gusev (underperforming on a bad team), Alex Wennberg and Noah Juulsen (underutilized/underperformer) etc. etc. etc.

I guess the assets spent mean they see him as a guy that could be truly great. We shall see. I am more certain that they spent those assets because he's an RFA that doesn't need a huge QO to keep him in a solid bottom 6 role with playoff edge. It's a missing element on the Panthers, so they went shopping for it.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #672
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You and timbit should switch bodies for a day so you could each learn to hate a different player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #673
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Bill Zito's time as GM is all about buying low on players. He looks for guys that have had pedigree or hints of greatness, but for whatever reason, not found a way to be good players. His M.O. is that if you do this often enough, you'll get a guy that performs above his contract, and in Florida, that's always important to do for internal cap reasons. Buy low, sell high. The classic stockmarket approach to running a team under cash constraints.

Sam Bennett is another in the line of guys like Hornqvist (declining), Duclair (suitcase player), Verhaeghe and Marchment (career minor leaguer about to pop), Montour and Gusev (underperforming on a bad team), Alex Wennberg and Noah Juulsen (underutilized/underperformer) etc. etc. etc.

I guess the assets spent mean they see him as a guy that could be truly great. We shall see. I am more certain that they spent those assets because he's an RFA that doesn't need a huge QO to keep him in a solid bottom 6 role with playoff edge. It's a missing element on the Panthers, so they went shopping for it.
Interesting point. Does he ever sell high though? It's pretty rare for NHL GM's to do that, even though in hindsight we all see the cases where they should have.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #674
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Interesting point. Does he ever sell high though? It's pretty rare for NHL GM's to do that, even though in hindsight we all see the cases where they should have.
Not yet, but he hasn't been given the opportunity. Connolly was definitely "get whatever you can before he's completely awful" policy. The fact that he got anything back given how he's played was nothing short of miraculous.

He did try to sell Yandle at the start of the year. That was a decision that was met with some disdain in the media, and so he quickly backtracked, but my suspicion is that he wouldn't hesitate if a good deal could be made.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #675
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI

Bennett centering Huberdeau and Duclair this evening when the Panthers play the Lightning.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #676
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

I dont know man....is he really worth 2.55 or whatever a year and a spot on the protected list?

Now he has enough time, this year, to prove that to them and for his sake, i hope he does.

I just dont see the hockey IQ there for that kind of money myself but then again i didnt think he could garner the return he did.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #677
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
FYI

Bennett centering Huberdeau and Duclair this evening when the Panthers play the Lightning.
Just came to post this. Interesting game 1 deployment for Bennett. Kind of presume Bennett will go on a tear.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #678
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Stroke did well initially when he was paired with a Kane, but he’s in fallen far these days. I doubt Chicago could get even a second round pick for him today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let’s see how it all plays out, I wish Sam well and I would not be surprised if he settles in career wise as a second line centre with Florida. His skills were severely underrated by Flames fans. I used to watch him in the warm up and his hand eye coordination with the puck was probably second to only JG on this team.

I will be honest in that I liked Sam as a player(simply put, he was entertaining) to the extent that I really do wish him success with Florida, it’s not one of our direct competitors and a team I have never really followed.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-17-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #679
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
FYI

I don't get that at all. Wennberg has been more than effective there.

"Hey, I know who can center our 2nd line! That underperforming dude who's currently a 4th line winger on that bad team!"

I hope it works out, but I'm very, very, very skeptical of that decision. They must believe he can pick up the garbage type goals around the net that Huberdeau would help to create.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #680
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I see Bennett on the same trajectory as Sven. He might have another year in the NHL and then he trend towards the AHL.
Sven is useless without scoring

Bennett can hit and punch face

Even without scoring, Bennett will be in the NHL for a long time as a plug

Considering how bad he has been, he is still better than Leivo, Simon, Ritchie, Nordstrom and many other bottom 6 NHLers
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post: