Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh dead at age 99

Married for 73 years...yikes.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/09/uk/pr...ntl/index.html

Last edited by transplant99; 04-09-2021 at 05:51 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380475865323212800
Old 04-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

End of an Era. RIP.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

rip our king ����
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's always sad to learn of someone's passing, particularly when they've been part of the cultural tapestry for so many decades.

I don't want to be that guy but considering the very long and very pampered life Philip had I find it difficult to really feel too bad about this, not that I would wish him harm. We should all be so lucky to have the kind of life he did.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

as huntingwhale said - an end to an era.

i wonder what they plan to do with funeral "stuff" when it comes to covid. i would imagine it would normally be a huge deal (like when the queen's mom died)
Old 04-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
It's always sad to learn of someone's passing, particularly when they've been part of the cultural tapestry for so many decades.

I don't want to be that guy but considering the very long and very pampered life Philip had I find it difficult to really feel too bad about this, not that I would wish him harm. We should all be so lucky to have the kind of life he did.
Is anyone asking you to feel bad?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To me this news is nearly the same as anyone other stranger I hear about passing.

Condolences to the family, and I wish them well.

Could not care less of his outdated "title" that is based upon birthright (or by obtaining it by marrying someone who has a birthright) - that is to say certain humans are born to 'rule' others or born to have a government mandated higher place in society, even if it is in title only, the background of it just seems so wrong. Maybe one day we won't have a crown in this country and remove the racist symbolism that goes with it.

However, I have no ill will to the royals as individuals, and as I said, hope the family is doing as well as they can when a family member passes.

Last edited by Mull; 04-09-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
rip our king ����
He was never King. The only reason he had a title at all is because of the Queen bestowing it upon him.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #10
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll be that guy:

Danish and Greek royal married into German royal family posing as a British royal family that includes the bloodlines of Dracula and Mohammad, noted racist, nazi sympathizer, father of two prolific pedophiles.

Last edited by Matata; 04-09-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
To me this news is nearly the same as anyone other stranger I hear about passing.

Condolences to the family, and I wish them well.

Could not care less of his outdated "title" that is based upon birthright (or by obtaining it by marrying someone who has a birthright) - that is to say certain humans are born to 'rule' others or born to have a government mandated higher place in society, even if it is in title only, the background of it just seems so wrong. Maybe one day we won't have a crown in this country and remove the racist symbolism that goes with it.

However, I have no ill will to the royals as individuals, and as I said, hope the family is doing as well as they can when a family member passes.
The British monarch doesn’t rule anything - she’s the symbolic head of state. Every democracy has a symbolic head of state*, and some are constitutional monarchs while others are political appointees.

Looking at the list of constitutional monarchies in Europe, they’re among the most stable and liberal countries in the world. So it’s not clear to me that the arrangement has a malign effect on the political culture of a country.

UK
Netherlands
Belgium
Norway
Denmark
Spain
Luxemberg
Sweden

* The fact the U.S. president is both the chief executive of the government and the head of state is regarded by many as a flaw in the system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The British monarch doesn’t rule anything - she’s the symbolic head of state. Every democracy has a symbolic head of state*, and some are constitutional monarchs while others are political appointees.

Looking at the list of constitutional monarchies in Europe, they’re among the most stable and liberal countries in the world. So it’s not clear to me that the arrangement has a malign effect on the political culture of a country.

UK
Netherlands
Belgium
Norway
Denmark
Spain
Luxemberg
Sweden

* The fact the U.S. president is both the chief executive of the government and the head of state is regarded by many as a flaw in the system.
I understand how presidents and prime minsters work in other nations, and what the monarchy "rules", which is why I put the edit, which you quoted "born to have a government mandated higher place in society" to ward off your very comment.

The symbolism of the monarchy has racism wrapped up in it.

The symbolism of the monarchy preaches people are born better than others.

The symbolism of the monarchy is wrong and horrifying in my view.

Think the US is "flawed" by having the roles mixed? I disagree, but whatever, vote for a president as our head of state and have a prime minster. I find it funny you ignored this option. I have no issue with a political choice, like our GG, just unwrap it from representing the Queen.

No free pass because you were "born better than your country people"

Just because "liberal nations" have monarchy's doesn't mean they are correct, but hey, if they are appointed for a set term, no issues from me then.

Last edited by Mull; 04-09-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

really sad he couldn't make it to his 100th birthday in june, he wouldve gotten a letter from the queen!
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post

The symbolism of the monarchy has racism wrapped up in it.

The symbolism of the monarchy preaches people are born better than others.
That’s a strange assertion. Most non-white countries have traditions of monarchy and aristocracy. Is Thailand racist because it has a king? Was King Zwelithini of the Zulu a symbol of racism?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'll be that guy:

Danish and Greek royal married into German royal family posing as a British royal family that includes the bloodlines of Dracula and Mohammad, noted racist, nazi sympathizer, father of two prolific pedophiles.
https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/20...es-in-england/

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #16
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That’s a strange assertion. Most non-white countries have traditions of monarchy and aristocracy. Is Thailand racist because it has a king? Was King Zwelithini of the Zulu a symbol of racism?
I didn't call all of England racist because they have a monarchy that has racist symbolism, so to answer your question its easy- No, Thailand is not racist based on my example.

Edit: missed your second question, and I can't answer and its frankly not a fair point to make.
I don't know the history of the King's ancestors, as detailed as I know the British monarchy history and frankly, am not concerned. He isn't "my" king as our current queen apparently is. What about him? Don't care at the present moment as his head isn't on my money.

Last edited by Mull; 04-09-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #17
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'll be that guy:

I was under the impression he actually served in WWII and fought directly against Nazis.

It was his family (sister?) who were Nazi sympathizers. Also, I don't think the parent gets to control whether their offspring become a pedophile or not.

He gets my respect for going to war, whether or not you agree with Canada being a monarchy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I was under the impression he actually served in WWII and fought directly against Nazis.
He did. Youngest lieutenant in Royal Navy history.

Quote:
It was his family (sister?) who were Nazi sympathizers. Also, I don't think the parent gets to control whether their offspring become a pedophile or not.
Correct. His sisters married Germans when he was still a youngster. Both those guys joined the nazi party afterwards. Had nothing to do with Philip as he wasn't even living in Germany at that time.

The faux outrage crowd always points to when his sister was killed in an airplane crash and he at age 16 (gasp) attended her funeral. At that funeral he was seen walking in the procession with his brother in laws and other nazi party members. Like he had any choice in who was there and all of this was pre-war years.

Quote:
He gets my respect for going to war, whether or not you agree with Canada being a monarchy.

Was he privileged? Yes he was and certainly took advantage of it as anyone would. Though his youth was not all peaches and cream. His family basically disintegrated when he was a boy. He learned some hard lessons at a young age.

The man led a remarkable life though and did many things outside the monarchy to make the UK a better place and is also full credit to allowing the public into the once very mysterious and misunderstood inner-workings of the monarchy. He was a fitness freak, an adventurer, mostly self taught as a pilot, he was an artist and was a bit of a comedian, though his "jokes" were construed as racist at times.

Lived a pretty cool and full life.

I get the resentment towards the royals as an outdated entity and whatnot. In fact as someone entirely unaffected by it, I agree.

I will say though that if the UK didnt want the monarchy to continue, it would be gone, but i get the feeling its more a source of pride for most than it is something to be dismantled.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #19
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, I guess adrenochrome doesn't make you immortal after all. Back to the drawing board...
Old 04-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #20
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I will say though that if the UK didnt want the monarchy to continue, it would be gone, but i get the feeling its more a source of pride for most than it is something to be dismantled.
Well, pride and the money the family brings in for the British tax payer if you believe CPG Grey (ignoring his example of a 'British' castle that's actually in France in the video).

That said, I still want it gone from Canada, for all the reasons I stated before I think its quite pathetic to still be around here. I can't pretend to have the right to tell the Brits what to do, but I can comment on Canadian culture and symbols.

Last edited by Mull; 04-09-2021 at 09:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post: