Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #501
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Could we hire him as the PR rep for post-game interviews at least?
Approved!

For at least how he would treat Eric Francis.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #502
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don’t think starting Zag was much of an option and it would have been just cruel.

One could complain about overusing Markstrom, though I’ve argued he had a lengthy break and Rittich’s first two starts which were on schedule were not confidence inducing. And Markstrom’s injury likely wasn’t from overplaying - I think it was his two collisions or maybe the scrum in his last game.
Disagree about Zag. Rittich was gassed after the TO series.
Its far from ideal but you start the rookie against the worst team in the league, and if he gets lit up you have Rittich on the bench. Its about protecting Rittich as he is critical to this teams success this season.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #503
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why would starting Zag be cruel? Goalies are ready, they get thrown in all the time. Just tell him a day in advance. Edmonton started Stuart Skinner, and won!
They knew they were playing Hoglund, so backup v Backup. And the win? Skinner let in 5 goals. His team scored 8 against the leagues worst goaltender, back when he didn’t know where his net was.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #504
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure why people are talking about goalies

This team scored ONE goal, 5 of the last 6 games

They need a freaking shut out to win. No goalie is going to do that forever
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #505
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
No manager could watch the last 2 weeks and not be motivated to fire his coach.

It's pretty clear his hands are tied, whether it be for financial reasons or because the owners aren't allowing him to make that move (perhaps because he will be ousted in the off-season).

This is probably how the rest of the season will play out.
Who signed Ward to that atrocious deal to begin with?

With the amount of money that Treliving has wasted on mistakes, I don't blame the owners for tying his hands.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #506
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Disagree about Zag. Rittich was gassed after the TO series.
Its far from ideal but you start the rookie against the worst team in the league, and if he gets lit up you have Rittich on the bench. Its about protecting Rittich as he is critical to this teams success this season.
I think it would have been crushing to Zag to start him in front of that bunch. It was also cruel to Rittich.

I know it’s true but I’ve never gotten why goalies need more rest than skaters.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #507
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We would lose to the Marlies at this rate. Pathetic
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #508
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Who signed Ward to that atrocious deal to begin with?

With the amount of money that Treliving has wasted on mistakes, I don't blame the owners for tying his hands.
I don't know why Treliving should be given any more trust to make coaching appointments. The owners are probably figuring out what to do as we speak. You might need a coaching change but the last thing you want is for Treliving to go get another assistant coach he once had coffee with. He's used up all his opportunities to get a good coach IMO.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #509
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It's pretty clear his hands are tied, whether it be for financial reasons or because the owners aren't allowing him to make that move (perhaps because he will be ousted in the off-season).

Nobody ties his hand.

He spent max cap for this sad team

He has always picked the wrong coach

Too arrogant to admit his mistakes
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #510
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Nobody ties his hand.

I think Treliving is pretty good at swallowing his mistakes - he trades Neal, buys out Brouwer. He doesn’t go on TV and cry about it and beg forgiveness, but a stubborn guy would have played Neal at least a couple more years, never bought out Brouwer, would not have fired GG, etc.

I think he’s just picked coaches badly, and he’s been bad at RW UFAs.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #511
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No excuses for Treliving anymore in my book, and if nothing is done I put it on him. Everything that does or does not happen in-season is entirely on Tree in my eyes.

If nothing happens until the off-season, and then Treliving is fired - I'll hang that on the owners for not doing it in-season, but until that time - everything is on Treliving. Roster composition, coaching hire, inactivity - that's all on Tree.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #512
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Nobody ties his hand.

Well, it must be exceedingly uncommon for a GM to outright admit mistakes

Even if Tre admitted a mistake about something he did early in his tenure, I can just hear Friedman all over it with his concerned/ serious look: “well Brad Treliving said it was a mistake when he....”

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 02-26-2021 at 10:48 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #513
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He moved James Neal after one season. That's a pretty big admission of a mistake.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #514
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Incredibly last night was no PPs for either team but if they can get back to some semblance of the start of this year with CGY PP & continue with the PK of late that is a winning formula if they lock down turnovers and these self inflicted errors in their end.

Playing in own end is not ideal so they just need to figure out what works best to get out with least amount of bad luck, bad touches that lead to extended defending.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #515
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where did Monahan say there is an effort issue?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #516
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Incredibly last night was no PPs for either team but if they can get back to some semblance of the start of this year with CGY PP & continue with the PK of late that is a winning formula if they lock down turnovers and these self inflicted errors in their end.

Playing in own end is not ideal so they just need to figure out what works best to get out with least amount of bad luck, bad touches that lead to extended defending.
Every time they gained the zone they ran the Ottawa D ragged, but they never exploited it to the net, except for the Lucic goal. If they’d lasted more than 3 monies after that goal without Fing up like they did I think they’d have won the game.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #517
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I agree, if they can just improve on the offense, defense, special teams, breakout, decision making, and overall strategy, plus get improved luck, then they will definitely have better outcomes than yesterday's 6-1 loss.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #518
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I don't know why Treliving should be given any more trust to make coaching appointments. The owners are probably figuring out what to do as we speak. You might need a coaching change but the last thing you want is for Treliving to go get another assistant coach he once had coffee with. He's used up all his opportunities to get a good coach IMO.
He honestly shouldn't be trusted with anything else at this point. We're heading toward a bad year, a potential high pick in a draft where no one is playing. This is a potentially half decade trap we could walk into here if we start letting someone try to save his job by either trying to save this season or by selling a new process and moving assets for futures in a potential minefield draft year.

Poor decisions now could set us back further for 5-6 years. And not "we suck now we're building to something" further back. Just "black hole, no direction, bad assets because of bad moves" further back.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #519
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Every time they gained the zone they ran the Ottawa D ragged, but they never exploited it to the net, except for the Lucic goal. If they’d lasted more than 3 monies after that goal without Fing up like they did I think they’d have won the game.
Yes- I agree but did you listen/see Lucic post game? To me he seemed to say play like TOR games. "It doesn't have to be pretty". Have a watch. What do you take from all his comments:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365146106917715970
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #520
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Did you forget, they scored 1 goal in 5 of the last 6 games

There were no moments last night that could change for them to win unless rittich had a shutout