Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default mass protests in Cuba

Thousands take to the street to protest vaccination shortages, poor health care food shortages, high prices etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/anti-g...ices-1.6098704

Quote:
Thousands of Cubans marched on Havana's Malecon promenade and elsewhere on the island Sunday to protest food shortages and high prices amid the coronavirus crisis, in one of the biggest anti-government demonstrations in memory.
Many young people took part in the afternoon protest in the capital, which disrupted traffic until police moved in after several hours and broke up the march when a few protesters threw rocks.
Police initially trailed behind as protesters chanted "Freedom," "Enough" and "Unite." One motorcyclist pulled out a U.S. flag, but it was snatched from him by others.
"We are fed up with the queues, the shortage. That's why I'm here," one middle-aged protester told The Associated Press. He declined to identify himself for fear of being arrested later.
Cuba is going through its worst economic crisis in decades, along with a resurgence of coronavirus cases, as it suffers the consequences of U.S. sanctions imposed by the Trump administration.

Quote:
Although many people tried to take out their cellphones and broadcast the protest live, Cuban authorities shut down internet service throughout the afternoon.
About two-and-a-half hours into the march, some protesters pulled up cobblestones and threw them at police, at which point officers began arresting people and the marchers dispersed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Arrests are happening now

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57813704

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's time Cuba admits this Communism thing isn't all it's cracked up to be, and move on, like the rest of the world.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe it's time Cuba admits this Communism thing isn't all it's cracked up to be, and move on, like the rest of the world.
Unfortunately moving on would probably mean going back to being a US puppet state that's dominated by US commercial interests, which is hardly better for the average person. It'd be nice if they could move into the modern era and actually have freedom and democracy while retaining their independence, but that's a lot easier said than done. There isn't exactly a great track record for that in the Caribbean/Central America.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m cheering these people on from afar.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Unfortunately moving on would probably mean going back to being a US puppet state that's dominated by US commercial interests, which is hardly better for the average person. It'd be nice if they could move into the modern era and actually have freedom and democracy while retaining their independence, but that's a lot easier said than done. There isn't exactly a great track record for that in the Caribbean/Central America.
Neighbouring Dominican Republic seems to be doing alright. A centre-left party won the most recent election, and they don’t seem to be a puppet state of the U.S.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe the US could drop the embargo completely, that might help.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
You didn't finish your sentence.

This might help living conditions and thus reduce the protests against a government who opposes the US?

The US embargo is no doubt dumb and should be dropped for a million reasons, but these protests are not one of them.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
It doesn’t appear to be that simple. As dumb as the whole thing is.
Quote:
As of 2018, the embargo is enforced mainly through six statutes: the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917, the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, the Cuban Assets Control Regulations of 1963, the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992, the Helms–Burton Act of 1996, and the Trade Sanctions Reform and Export Enhancement Act of 2000.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It doesn’t appear to be that simple. As dumb as the whole thing is.
Didn't Obama pretty much have it dropped until Trump came in? I thought it was almost killed? I don't know what Obama did about those acts of congress.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #11
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Didn't Obama pretty much have it dropped until Trump came in? I thought it was almost killed? I don't know what Obama did about those acts of congress.
He just erased some travel restrictions. Which I think Trump then cancelled to be a dick.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote