Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #41
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

A 386 with adlib sound card capable of playing Wing Commander I.

I would go over to his house as much as I could. He also had a waterbed and a Colecovision.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #42
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dirt bikes and snowmobiles. We lived on an acreage and most of my buddies had a bike or a trike, but my folks would never entertain getting one. I mean, my sister did knock out her front teeth on a borrowed bike but still.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Pets. Was never allowed a dog. First thing I got when I moved out!
Me and my brother always wanted a dog or cat but my dad would have none of it. My mom bought us a couple of guinea pigs and my dad went ape #### and made us keep them in the garage. I went in to feed them one morning and they both froze to death.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #44
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Either a TV in their room or a developed basement
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

As crazy as it may seem, it was simply a can of soda. Our parents wouldn't buy us 3 kids pop so we had endure this one kid who would come out of his house on a hot summers day saying he has an ice cold pop on the rocks.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #46
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many things TBH. Parents taught me the value of hard work and saving but didn't have a tonne of money to spoil us kids with. We didn't know any better because we were young and sheltered growing up in a small town, but I hope I can strike a better balance when I have a family of my own.

To make matters worse, my best friend was the kid who's parents were rolling in it.

• Lakefront cottage plus waterskiing boat
• Sega in the car, Dreamcast at home, new computer in the bedroom
• Cable TV and two home theatre setups (we had one TV and an antenna that gave us 6 channels haha)
• Weekly trips to the city and regular restaurant meals
• Birthday parties at chuck-e-cheese, pizza hut, etc.
• $10/week allowance or something crazy, we got $1/week and did chores for extra $$
• Decent car when old enough to drive

I do remember his family drank 1% milk though, which at the time I thought tasted like water (we drank 2% so small luxuries I guess?). Now that my partner and I are reasonably well off we also drink 1% lol

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-25-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
So many things TBH. Parents taught me the value of hard work and saving but didn't have a tonne of money to spoil us kids with. We didn't know any better because we were young and sheltered growing up in a small town, but I hope I can strike a better balance when I have a family of my own.

To make matters worse, my best friend was the kid who's parents were rolling in it.

• Lakefront cottage plus waterskiing boat
• Sega in the car, Dreamcast at home, new computer in the bedroom
• Cable TV and two home theatre setups (we had one TV and 6 channels haha)
• Weekly trips to the city and regular restaurant meals

I do remember his family drank 1% milk though, which at the time I thought tasted like water (we drank 2% so small luxuries I guess?)
Yeah, for a few years I had the least amount of money compared to any of my friends and that sucked. Now, when I take my daughter and her friends to the mall I always give all of them $20 because I know her friends aren't as well off and I want them to be able to enjoy themselves and buy a little something and grab lunch, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #48
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to be a bit depressing here but I was really jealous of pretty much all the kids that had a functional father as part of a two parent marriage, my mum and dad split when I was 8, he was a bum so I rarely saw him after that and he was ####e at anything the other dads did anyway, he hated sports so wouldn't play soccer or cricket with me, didn't drive or own a car, couldn't fix or make anything.

This was when divorce in the UK was really rare, I had three close friends in elementry school, one of whom is still a mate 50 years later, it wasnt until we had know each other for 2 or 3 years we all worked out none of us had dads around, we all didnt want anyone coming to our houses and finding out we were 'weird' and so we sort of naturally gravitated to each other as the kids that always met in the park but never invited anyone home!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #49
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, for a few years I had the least amount of money compared to any of my friends and that sucked. Now, when I take my daughter and her friends to the mall I always give all of them $20 because I know her friends aren't as well off and I want them to be able to enjoy themselves and buy a little something and grab lunch, too.
Ya that's super generous and helps a lot I'm sure.

My rich friend's parents were also generous with their money (I got invited to the cottage for a week every summer and learned to waterski with their kid, we went to movies, got invited to elaborate birthday parties, etc). They even gave my family one of their old computers (that neither of their kids wanted for their bedroom but still) and I remember a few birthday presents that were probably more generous than they had any right to be.

As kids we were happy and like I said, we didn't really know any better. But looking at it as an adult, we grew up in entirely different worlds. There's a different mindset that comes from growing up and not even having to think about money, from being exposed to possibilities and things that I didn't even know existed. That can have its downsides too though which I have seen plenty of, so I'm not complaining - just observing.

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-25-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #50
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A Kuwahara BMX - factory or Apollo, didn't matter.

I recall a neighbor kid had some KISS cards. They blew my mind.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 02-25-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm going to be a bit depressing here but I was really jealous of pretty much all the kids that had a functional father as part of a two parent marriage, my mum and dad split when I was 8, he was a bum so I rarely saw him after that and he was ####e at anything the other dads did anyway, he hated sports so wouldn't play soccer or cricket with me, didn't drive or own a car, couldn't fix or make anything.

This was when divorce in the UK was really rare, I had three close friends in elementry school, one of whom is still a mate 50 years later, it wasnt until we had know each other for 2 or 3 years we all worked out none of us had dads around, we all didnt want anyone coming to our houses and finding out we were 'weird' and so we sort of naturally gravitated to each other as the kids that always met in the park but never invited anyone home!!
That would suck but it could be worse as if your mother was a good parent at least you had that. Mine were both junk.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #52
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My buddy had a pool. CRAZY jealous of that.

Living on an acreage I was always jealous of sleds and dirtbikes, which I was never allowed to have.

Another buddies dad was a car collector who had classic Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens etc. Just a wee bit of jealousy when he got dropped off at high school in a Dino or some odd thing.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #53
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Nintendo.

I found out years later my grandpa bought me one for Christmas and my parents made him take it back. I was pissed, but in retrospect I was suuuper addicted to video games when given the chance.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #54
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

a girlfriend.
sucked to be a somewhat unpopular kid.

I was jealous of kids who got to go on trips.

the closest i ever came to a themepark was going to Calaway park once when I was a kid. (early on, when it was still a flintstones park)

my parents went to disneyland, universal studios, kmotts berry farm, etc, but never took us kids with them.

didn't make it to the ocean until I was 21.

biggest vacation I remember going on as a kid was to Drumheller which was cool, although this was before Tyrrell Museum opened. Also went to Saskatchewan once, too.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #55
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That would suck but it could be worse as if your mother was a good parent at least you had that. Mine were both junk.
my mum was a rock, my grandfather stepped up as well, when I was younger I thought my life was terrible and everything that went wrong was because of my parents divorcing, as I got older I realized I actually had a pretty good life, that everyone had the same problems and that there were way way worse dads than mine, I am not close to my dad but we are at least friends now even if I dont really see him as a dad.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #56
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

I was jealous of kids who got to go on trips.

the closest i ever came to a themepark was going to Calaway park once when I was a kid. (early on, when it was still a flintstones park)

my parents went to disneyland, universal studios, kmotts berry farm, etc, but never took us kids with them.

didn't make it to the ocean until I was 21.

biggest vacation I remember going on as a kid was to Drumheller which was cool, although this was before Tyrrell Museum opened. Also went to Saskatchewan once, too.
Dude. What kind of parent goes to Disneyland, tells their kid about it, but doesn't actually take their kid? Are you sure that your parents didn't just make this up as some kind of punishment?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #57
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #58
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Oh man, I had a friend in elementary whose Dad owned a Cookies by George. I thought he was the luckiest kid in the WORLD.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Dude. What kind of parent goes to Disneyland, tells their kid about it, but doesn't actually take their kid? Are you sure that your parents didn't just make this up as some kind of punishment?
Oh wow, that's so sad for GordonBlue. We should start a GoFundMe for this guy and send him down there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #60
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a kid my parents made a lot of money together. Like a lot. So I wasn't jealous of anything.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post: