Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #121
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
I think it's a difference without much distinction. The motion was his, and was not seconded by anyone. Is that not, in essence, the same as voting against it?
Let's see...

"I want to have a vote for Chicken on the Way to close its greasy orgy basement. Will anybody second this motion? No one? Fine.. I guess you're a bunch of greasy sex freaks then".
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #122
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Let's see...

"I want to have a vote for Chicken on the Way to close its greasy orgy basement. Will anybody second this motion? No one? Fine.. I guess you're a bunch of greasy sex freaks then".
So you're saying that you think some Councillors would have voted for the 5% pay cut? If so why do you think they wouldn't second the motion?
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
So you're saying that you think some Councillors would have voted for the 5% pay cut? If so why do you think they wouldn't second the motion?

I don't think so, and I wouldn't either. If my boss came and asked everybody if they would like to to take a 5% paycut as a show of support for people less fortunate, would I vote yes to that? No. If there was some formula that dictated my salary for the year, and there was a decrease I would live with it. Similary if my boss came and told us we were getting a 5% pay cut, I would live with that too. But I certainly wouldn't voluntarily do it and I don't think any sane person would either.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #124
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think so, and I wouldn't either. If my boss came and asked everybody if they would like to to take a 5% paycut as a show of support for people less fortunate, would I vote yes to that? No. If there was some formula that dictated my salary for the year, and there was a decrease I would live with it. Similary if my boss came and told us we were getting a 5% pay cut, I would live with that too. But I certainly wouldn't voluntarily do it and I don't think any sane person would either.
If those less fortunate people were the ones who decided if you kept your job or not then you might. But obviously you're right. Most people would chance it.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #125
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? Lots of sane people in Calgary have been choosing pay cuts over staff cuts all year? Nenshi himself admits he is overpaid.

I think the motive was quite clear, Farkas wanted council to take a 5% pay cut to demonstrate cutting back voluntarily before entering into salary negotiations with some major employee groups at city hall next year.

If your boss volunteered to take a 5% pay cut, then came in and told you to take a 5% pay cut... wouldn't you appreciate that leadership?

Once again, City of Calgary spending on salaries, wages and benefits at city hall have increased 15% between 2014 and 2017 alone. Taxes on some business are expected to increase up to 30% next year. Something has to give, and starting with council salaries would be a fantastic place.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #126
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just blame Microsoft Excel then have a Kumbaya already...
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #127
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
If those less fortunate people were the ones who decided if you kept your job or not then you might. But obviously you're right. Most people would chance it.

I think I would chance it, if only for the reason that the longer you put this off, the worse its going to look down the line. Those incremental increases every year don't look so bad, but if you keep freezing the increases until 3 years in and then it's due to be an 6 or 8% correction, that's probably going ot kill their chances for relection and just generate more outrage about city hall greed.

I am interested in hearing more about these companies that gave employees a choice to volunteer (with no threat of being personally laid off) for a pay cut just out soliditary for other people who might not have it so good. Is this like, "hey guys, the store down the street just had to lay off a bunch of guys, how about we show them our support by taking a paycut? anybody?"
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #128
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #129
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I would chance it, if only for the reason that the longer you put this off, the worse its going to look down the line. Those incremental increases every year don't look so bad, but if you keep freezing the increases until 3 years in and then it's due to be an 6 or 8% correction, that's probably going ot kill their chances for relection and just generate more outrage about city hall greed.
What incremental increases every year? It's based on AWE salaries. When average weekly salaries decrease in a year for Alberta, so will their salaries. Which has happens. When they go up, so will theirs.

It happens that salaries may have increased this year on average by 2.7% (year being October - September). Other factors at play obviously, lost of jobs, job security, etc. but there's not really much of a time that their salary could be crazy out of line simply because it's based on every other person salaries.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #130
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What incremental increases every year? It's based on AWE salaries. When average weekly salaries decrease in a year for Alberta, so will their salaries. Which has happens. When they go up, so will theirs.

It happens that salaries may have increased this year on average by 2.7% (year being October - September). Other factors at play obviously, lost of jobs, job security, etc. but there's not really much of a time that their salary could be crazy out of line simply because it's based on every other person salaries.

I just meant in the hypothetical situation where there was cause for a small salary increase each year, it would look worse no matter what, than having just having taken those salary adjustments each year, instead of bumping it up after the course of a few years. People like to fret over percentages. Nobody will remember the years you didn’t accept a salary increase, but if you should decide to catch up and it’s suddenly a 8% increase or something, people will freak out. That is unless the councillors freeze their salaries for their entire terms.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #131
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

It's not the salaries, although they started higher than comparable cities. It's the pensions. Over the last ten years we've spent more on councilor pensions than Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver combined. They haven't touched anything to do with pensions since 1999. Might be time to look at that and bring it more in line with private and other public pensions.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #132
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The problem I have is the unanimous vote to get rid of Farkas. It's grand standing on the mayor's part.
Let me see if I have this straight.

A UNANIMOUS vote to act against Farkas is grandstanding on the MAYOR'S part.

You do know what unanimous means, right?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #133
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Duerr gets a bad rap, but he had to deal with an energy industry on its knees from low prices, while senior governments choked off funding. Nenshi has received far more funding from senior governments than Duerr ever got.
Part of the mayor's role is to secure funding from senior governments.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #134
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The worst part about our council is our thin skinned, petty, vindictive mayor. Our council easily has to be one of the most secretive, dysfunctional city councils in all of Canada, all lead by mayor McCheese.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #135
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. Forgot about Toronto already?

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #136
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
The worst part about our council is our thin skinned, petty, vindictive mayor. Our council easily has to be one of the most secretive, dysfunctional city councils in all of Canada, all lead by mayor McCheese.
On what grounds do are you basing this?

If you look at council votes you get really odd alliances and voting blocks don’t seem to exist on most issues. The in-camera stuff relative to other councils is explainable because council deals with a lot of land and procurement issues that others don’t.

I think you are projecting your dislike of Nenshi’s personality onto the actual function of council.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #137
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
On what grounds do are you basing this?

If you look at council votes you get really odd alliances and voting blocks don’t seem to exist on most issues. The in-camera stuff relative to other councils is explainable because council deals with a lot of land and procurement issues that others don’t.

I think you are projecting your dislike of Nenshi’s personality onto the actual function of council.
Have you never heard Nenshi speak, how he reacts to be challenged, how he bends facts to suit his naritive? It's also well documented how many out of camera sessions Calgary has compared to other jurisdictions.
Just to be clear, Im talking about a mayor who was sued and lost for making false, derogatory comments about a local business and was caught on camera making more false derogatory comments about an international business.
Nenshi is a horrible mayor. I can't wait until he's gone.

Last edited by monkeyman; 12-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #138
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you never heard Nenshi speak, how he reacts to be challenged, how he bends facts to suit his naritive? It's also well documented how many out of camera sessions Calgary has compared to other jurisdictions.
Just to be clear, Im talking about a mayor who was sued and lost for making false, derogatory comments about a local business and was caught on camera making more false derogatory comments about an international business.
Nenshi is a horrible mayor. I can't wait until he's gone.

He did save us from Ric McIver, so I'll always be grateful for that. He has kind of sucked at everything else, though.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #139
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you never heard Nenshi speak, how he reacts to be challenged, how he bends facts to suit his naritive?
Bending facts to suit a narrative is certainly despicable.
Quote:
Just to be clear, Im talking about a mayor who was sued and lost for making false, derogatory comments about a local business
Like bending this fact to suit your narrative. He never lost. It was settled out of court with negotiated terms.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #140
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

No dude, the world is black and white and there's literally 0 reason to ever settle out of court unless you're actually guilty. Ipso facto carpe diem e plurbus unum lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat