Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #1701
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels a little bit dirty to watch Canada completely beat up on a Caribbean nation. On the other hand, in order for nations like the Cayman Islands to develop, they need to get exposure playing against better nations in CONCACAF. They haven't played a game against an opponent of even Canada's quality since 2008. It's kind of like the World Juniors in that sense.

Hoping this is the last cycle we see Canada have to play minnows though.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #1702
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seventeen year old Daniel Jebbison came on as a sub today for Sheffield United against Crystal Palace. Born in Oakville, Ontario according to this article.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...palace-3229403

Last edited by MegaErtz; 05-08-2021 at 10:16 AM.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #1703
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Seventeen year old Daniel Jebbison came on as a sub today for Sheffield United against Crystal Palace. Born in Oakville, Ontario according to this article.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...palace-3229403
Are you trying to make us sad?

Quote:
Jebbison, a Canadian-born England youth international
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #1704
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada's squad for World Cup qualifiers against Aruba and Suriname, and hopefully Haiti after that.

No Hutchinson is a bummer, but he's 38 and just finished his season. Probably needs a rest. Crepeau is a surprise as well but this opens him up to be the starter at the Gold Cup. I think he has a kid due shortly as well.

David, Henry, Kennedy are all big adds. Bring on The Ocho!

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/s...033848322?s=20

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #1705
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is the best Canadian squad in thirty-five years. I think Canada has an excellent chance of making the next round and playing either Nicaragua or Haiti. I believe it is a two-legged affair, with each of the six group winners being paired up and the three winners of those matchups progressing to the final round, where they’ll join Costa Rica, Mexico, the USA, Jamaica, and Honduras in a fourteen match round Robin.

I see that Calgary born Chelsea full-back Fiyako Tomori is signing a permanent deal with AC Milan for €28m. Unfortunately he’s cap-tied to England after playing once in a competitive match for them against Kosovo. It might be his only cap!

I’m hopeful that Jebbison will be tempted to declare for Canada if they make the final round of qualifying, as he’s still allowed to make the switch.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #1706
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
This is the best Canadian squad in thirty-five years. I think Canada has an excellent chance of making the next round and playing either Nicaragua or Haiti. I believe it is a two-legged affair, with each of the six group winners being paired up and the three winners of those matchups progressing to the final round, where they’ll join Costa Rica, Mexico, the USA, Jamaica, and Honduras in a fourteen match round Robin.

I see that Calgary born Chelsea full-back Fiyako Tomori is signing a permanent deal with AC Milan for €28m. Unfortunately he’s cap-tied to England after playing once in a competitive match for them against Kosovo. It might be his only cap!

I’m hopeful that Jebbison will be tempted to declare for Canada if they make the final round of qualifying, as he’s still allowed to make the switch.
I thought that Jebbison had played for England and that was that?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #1707
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Canada's squad for World Cup qualifiers against Aruba and Suriname, and hopefully Haiti after that.

No Hutchinson is a bummer, but he's 38 and just finished his season. Probably needs a rest. Crepeau is a surprise as well but this opens him up to be the starter at the Gold Cup. I think he has a kid due shortly as well.

David, Henry, Kennedy are all big adds. Bring on The Ocho!

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/s...033848322?s=20
The match with Suriname will be really interesting. They have added some good talent and I'd put them in the top 10 in CONCACAF if ranked solely on the quality of competition their players are involved in. Lots of Eredivisie experience, CB at Galatasaray, winger in the Bundesliga plus a few players in the Israeli top flight. Still expect a win, of course, but this will be the highest level of competition this group has seen since the Gold Cup.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #1708
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I thought that Jebbison had played for England and that was that?
You can make the switch once if you’ve not played a competitive match (meaning a qualifier or World Cup final or Euros tournament) at senior level. That said, he’s played once for the England u-18s just two months ago and hasn’t been called into this squad. If Canada can come first in their group and win the two legged playoff in the next round, they’ll be in a much more advantageous position to coax him into the squad.

I know Hutchinson is old, but I’d feel a lot better with him sitting on top of the two central defenders for the next round.

The 11-0 win over the Cayman Islands could prove decisive as goal difference will be the tie-breaker if Suriname beat Bermuda and Canada handle Aruba easily, as will be expected. It will mean that Canada would only need a draw on the final matchday against Suriname.
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #1709
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Suriname is pounding Bermuda trying to make up some goal difference but Canada should also win comfortably tomorrow making Canada only needing a draw in the last game

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #1710
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suriname enters Tuesday's game with 9 points and a +15 GD. Canada are currently on 6 points and a +15 GD going into tonight's game against Aruba.

A 1-0 win over Aruba and a draw on Tuesday will see Canada qualify for next weekend's qualifiers against Haiti or Nicaragua.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #1711
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is hard not to be optimistic about Canada’s chances, but we’ve all been let down before. I hope that they come out firing and don’t take anything for granted. This squad is too good to piss away this lifeline they’ve been given after Covid mercifully forced Concacaf to drop that terrible qualifying format.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #1712
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It is hard not to be optimistic about Canada’s chances, but we’ve all been let down before. I hope that they come out firing and don’t take anything for granted. This squad is too good to piss away this lifeline they’ve been given after Covid mercifully forced Concacaf to drop that terrible qualifying format.
I'm as jaded as most on the hope that the CSA and the media partners build in to coverage, but I think the disappointment doesn't come in the next two games, rather down the line after a good result or two followed by bungled opportunities.

And until we beat a team that has ever played in the Finals, there isn't much to be excited about the chances. None of these minnows so far, Haiti potentially in the next round (1974) has.

But you're right, I think it is vital they take full advantage of this chance and qualify for next year. To build genuine fan and public excitement that they can carry through 4 more years, get more eyes, chatter and general interest on Canadian soccer, and thus sponsorship (which the CSA will mismange) due to being on the world stage in 2022 and forward in that time, as well as to help in getting some of the younger guys to committ to Canada vs their other options.

I just cringe at the shrug of the shoulders and the defeatist "hey at least we will be there in 2026 no matter what" messaging if they don't make it this year. It's all in front of them, they'll be underdogs for sure in the final groupings, but have the individual quality to compete I think, and a good coach that should get them playing as a single unit too. So it will largely be a mental task.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #1713
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This Suriname game is gonna be tough, they added another crop of ancestral national ringers. I think that game will be tougher than a potential haiti series.
Matty81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #1714
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Between Curacao and Suriname, how many Dutch players are in CONCACAF?

Meanwhile, Trinidad and Tobago are being held 0-0 at the half in the Bahama. If they don't win, they'll be out before the final matchday is played!

So T&T were held 0-0 at the Bahamas, the worst team in the group. St. Kitts and Nevis win Group F

Last edited by GirlySports; 06-05-2021 at 07:12 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #1715
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1401311214819581956
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #1716
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Today is the day I revive my onesoccer subscription!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #1717
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Watching this Canada/Aruba game, Davies subbed in at 65' and my god, just on another level as most everyone else. He is incredibly dangerous on the touch, and quick as a fox. Wow.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #1718
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

And Davies/David/Larin are just picking apart Aruba at will. Literally just toying with them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #1719
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolute dominance from Canada. Aruba didn't even have a shot on net. Davies is such a special talent. This is a really deep squad, exciting times to be a Canadian soccer fan. Tuesday will be fun.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #1720
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this is the last time we see Canada against minnows in World Cup Qualifying. No more excuses, time to step up and show we actually want to be a power in CONCACAF.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: