Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #281
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I just went the other way. Well, sorta. From Calgary to Montreal to Vancouver. So from Calgary to the most affordable big city in Canada and then to the least - well maybe TO and Van are tied.

It is beautiful here, and the weather this winter has me wondering why I didn't come earlier because real cold doesn't agree with me. One thing I've come to believe is that real estate simply won't ever come down in Van. Sky's the limit. There will always be people coming here from everywhere and bringing money with them. I can't really foresee property values dipping ever. If anything, it might become a little like NYC - nobody lives in Manhattan except the ultra wealthy, and people with normal jobs commute from the burbs to serve the rich.
When I graduated university in 1989 Vancouver was one of the places several of my friends moved as it was the centre of hard rock mining. At the time houses were something like $300k (I don't recall the exact about but probably double or more what they were in Edmonton/Calgary.) We couldn't fathom how anyone could afford to buy a place there or live there. There was no way housing prices could continue increasing, there would have to be a crash eventually. That was 30 some years ago.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #282
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #283
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
No, people who freak out about anyone posting about money (even when it's clear they're exaggerating for effect) are the worst. I get that times are tough in this city but just calm the #### down
Let's be real, it was an ill-timed joke from a privileged lens. Not that it's at all surprising
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #284
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Born and raised in Calgary. Fortunate to have worked here during periods of fabulous growth.

The City’s best days are behind. We are the new Winnipeg. So nope. Not a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Terrible defeatism. I understand pessimism, but if we make good choices as a community, we will growth and thrive.
I guarantee that was stated many times back in the mid '80s when we were in the bust part of the boom/bust economy. Then again in the early 00s, and will be again decried in 2030 and beyond. It can't be taken for granted that this city will bounce back, but we have seen this time and time again and I actually feel quite optimistic that things are looking up.

For peter12, of course one has to live within his or her means and I think Calgary offers a chance to buy a home and raise a family with someone of your means. Just need to prioritize what is important. It may be that the trendy shops and bars won't be as important when you start a family. Perhaps the burbs in any major city will provide the affordability and the access to culture (occasionally) will float your boat. On the other hand, maybe a spot in Hilllhurst/Sunnyside or Inglewood can work, as not everyone dreams of a big yard and crap to take care of. My old neighbourhood in the Marda Loop area has gone from bungalows everywhere to infills everywhere and I never thought there would be any families with kids in those sorts of environments, but instead it is teaming with young families now. Lots of options and you should feel fortunate to have so many choices.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #285
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Born and raised in Calgary. Fortunate to have worked here during periods of fabulous growth.

The City’s best days are behind. We are the new Winnipeg. So nope. Not a chance.
Never understood this take. Someone earlier in the thread said Calgary is the Detroit of Canada now.

Hasn't Calgary had net population growth yoy since like1960? And most of those city ranking publications have Calgary a top 5 or top 10 destination to live in.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #286
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Let's be real, it was an ill-timed joke from a privileged lens. Not that it's at all surprising
I think people are really looking at Peter's comment from the worst perspective. He was trying to make the point that two young professionals with no kids should be a lot better off in this society than they are. I don't think he was bragging about some ultra high salary. By "a lot" he was talking about relative to the population, which has a surprisingly large amount of people who scrape by on $20/hr jobs.

I do agree with his overall point. A couple of university educated professionals, who are likely making around six figures each should be able to afford a reasonably high level of comfort and asset growth. Presumably people in this category have done most things right, in terms of developing income earning capacity, but they still can't get ahead, or even afford a place that will comfortably allow them to have a child. Where does that leave the genuine working class. It's a major problem in Canadian society.

It's easy enough to say just move to another city, but what cities in Canada have both lots of jobs and a strong job market.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #287
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Let's be more real.

It was (presumably) an honest descriptor that provides context of his current situation and insight into the decision he's asking 'us' to advise on.

Without that information, it would be hard to give relevant advice.

If we want to really dissect his situation, if him and his partner are unable to afford a townhouse in Vancouver, it's not like they're making that much money

Edit - Blankall said it better than me.

Last edited by you&me; 02-26-2021 at 09:38 AM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #288
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough! My brain doesn't translate peter12 dialogue very well
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #289
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think people are really looking at Peter's comment from the worst perspective. He was trying to make the point that two young professionals with no kids should be a lot better off in this society than they are. I don't think he was bragging about some ultra high salary. By "a lot" he was talking about relative to the population, which has a surprisingly large amount of people who scrape by on $20/hr jobs.
Then he needs to work on his delivery, because missing that sort of context up front and instead embellishing personal wealth really changes the dynamic of that chest-thumping statement.

And that's not just peter, that's for anyone.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #290
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

I do agree with his overall point. A couple of university educated professionals, who are likely making around six figures each should be able to afford a reasonably high level of comfort and asset growth. Presumably people in this category have done most things right, in terms of developing income earning capacity, but they still can't get ahead, or even afford a place that will comfortably allow them to have a child. Where does that leave the genuine working class. It's a major problem in Canadian society.

It's easy enough to say just move to another city, but what cities in Canada have both lots of jobs and a strong job market.
This 100%.

But say it even was how you interpreted it. That's still fine. People are allowed to make "a LOT" and there's no reason for you to be offended by it. You may think it's déclassé to proclaim such a thing, but it doesn't make it so, particularly in this context where he's discussing the affordability of housing. We needed to know that he wasn't just some pauper scraping by if our advice was going to have any value.

I can't understand some of these butt hurt reactions to anything he's said here. Truly makes no sense. Is it faux outrage just because it's Peter? Just because it's the internet? Wtf.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #291
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Do you need a loan? Some money?
Quote:
You're the freaking worst.. wow

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #292
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Never understood this take. Someone earlier in the thread said Calgary is the Detroit of Canada now.

Hasn't Calgary had net population growth yoy since like1960? And most of those city ranking publications have Calgary a top 5 or top 10 destination to live in.
A realtor told me that Calgary still had positive net migration last year, despite everything.

Once a city is over 1 million people, the gravity just attracts more people?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #293
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, is this bad boy done in Vancouver and moving to Calgary before the summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #294
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I can't understand some of these butt hurt reactions to anything he's said here. Truly makes no sense.Is it faux outrage just because it's Peter? Just because it's the internet? Wtf.
It’s this.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #295
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Terrible defeatism. I understand pessimism, but if we make good choices as a community, we will grow and thrive.
Yeah, Calgary is definitely coming back. I got laid off from an O&G company ~5 years ago, and started my own online business. That has had ups and downs (thanks COVID) but basically I could live anywhere and still choose to live here. It's great for my kids, the schools are good, good flight connections for escaping winter etc.

But my former colleagues (who all got laid off roughly the same time as me) have accelerated their return to work in O&G recently. And one guy who was worried about getting laid off from his new gig last year at this time recently messaged me that his company just started a 3 rig program (up from zero) and he's really busy. Peyto just mentioned they sold a bunch of gas into the US at $160 per mcf during the recent storm, which is like 50x the normal price. Nice if you can make a years worth of revenue in a week.

I also think our current real estate prices help attract people to the city. I have a 2 BR condo I rent out. My current tenant is a freelancer in a creative profession (he explained, something design related). He moved from Vancouver. He works remotely (even pre-covid) and said the rent I'm charging him for a 2 BR is less than he was paying for a 350 sqft studio in Vancouver. So it's a quality of life improvement for him and he thought he'd try it for a year. That adds both people and vibrancy, imo.

So I think the combination of people who used to be oil and gas dependent starting new paths but choosing to stay in Calgary, cheap real estate/low taxes attracting people/firms to move here, and improvement in oil and gas is going to help Calgary bounce back. There are already some green shoots (single family house pricing is going up) and I think as people can get their vaccines the mood of the city is likely to change for the better.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #296
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally think it is extremely gauche for people not to be upfront about money. It literally means nothing to me beyond that I should pay enough taxes for people less fortunate than myself to be able to thrive as well.

I will not be releasing my taxes, but I will be loaning metallicat enough money for a bus ticket so he can stay 4 hours plus away from me.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #297
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I personally think it is extremely gauche for people not to be upfront about money. It literally means nothing to me beyond that I should pay enough taxes for people less fortunate than myself to be able to thrive as well.

I will not be releasing my taxes, but I will be loaning metallicat enough money for a bus ticket so he can stay 4 hours plus away from me.
On a related note, I hate how secretive everyone is about their workplace salary. It only benefits the employers to have their workers not knowing what their coworkers make, and it makes job hunting (at least while already employed) very frustrating. Why would I apply for your open position if you won't even state what the salary range is?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #298
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
On a related note, I hate how secretive everyone is about their workplace salary. It only benefits the employers to have their workers not knowing what their coworkers make, and it makes job hunting (at least while already employed) very frustrating. Why would I apply for your open position if you won't even state what the salary range is?
Depends what end of the spectrum you are on. If you are on the high end there is no benefit sharing with your coworkers. If on the low end then sure.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #299
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Depends what end of the spectrum you are on. If you are on the high end there is no benefit sharing with your coworkers. If on the low end then sure.
Sure there is. Are you worried about professional jealousy? If you’re not worth what you’re making I can see why you’d be worried about that, but that’s more recognizing your own personal failure. It only benefits the company and employers to remain secretive about workplace salary.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #300
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you're taking co-worker to mean the receptionist or junior level worker then sure I get it, but there should be nothing wrong with people on the same team with the same responsibilities comparing salaries
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote