Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #441
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Upgraded to 10 from 7 today. Seems pretty good so far. What should I be watching for in terms of known concerns?
Not sure about fatal concerns, but for me...

Spoiler!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #442
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this is still the closest thing we have to a General Microsoft Megathread right? I don't feel like posting this in the smartphone thunderdome and having to wade through wisecracks by dirty iOS/Android users so I'll ask here: Lumia 950/950XL or future Surface Phone?

Lumia pros - available now, solid if unspectacular hardware, quickest way to get on W10 mobile

Lumia cons - MS themselves don't seem to be pushing it too hard, acknowledging that it's still probably not where they want to be for the mobile space. a bit expensive, though I expect prices to drop within the next few months to get demand going

Surface phone pros - apparently full Intel architecture like its big brother, so able to run regular Windows and thus all applications mobile or desktop. a Continuum experience that would be like a real PC, instead of the semi-fake desktop experience the Lumia offers now. likely top spec hardware to be able to handle the full weight of the OS.

Surface phone cons - no idea how long the wait will be. version 1 of these things tends to be a hardware/software bug fest and they don't get it perfected until a couple versions later (see Surface Pro). rumored screen is 5.5 inch which is a bit bigger than I'm ready to move to yet

I've got the ancient Samsung Ativ S, which is just Windows 8 running on Galaxy 3 hardware, and that's not gonna see W10 anytime soon. I don't know if I can stomach it for the length of time it takes for the Surface to arrive, but I'm a bit wary of how the Lumia seems to be the last of its line already despite just being released.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #443
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What do you have to run on that tv to cast to? I assume this is for smart TV's?
It will work (I believe) for any TV supporting DNLA. I have 2 different brands of smart TVs, and also WD TV live boxes, and it works for all of them, no matter how old or rudimentary.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #444
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Surface phone pros - apparently full Intel architecture like its big brother, so able to run regular Windows and thus all applications mobile or desktop. a Continuum experience that would be like a real PC, instead of the semi-fake desktop experience the Lumia offers now. likely top spec hardware to be able to handle the full weight of the OS.

Surface phone cons - no idea how long the wait will be. version 1 of these things tends to be a hardware/software bug fest and they don't get it perfected until a couple versions later (see Surface Pro). rumored screen is 5.5 inch which is a bit bigger than I'm ready to move to yet
The biggest 'con': all of this is speculation.

If you like what the Lumia offers today, all you have to do is pick your size: 5.2" or 5.7". If you want to wait and see what the next device offers, do that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #445
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Upgraded to 10 from 7 today. Seems pretty good so far. What should I be watching for in terms of known concerns?
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon

This video talks about using the above program and delves into the various security concerns.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #446
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone looking to blog that stupid update notification, you can do it through group policy now:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #447
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone looking to blog that stupid update notification, you can do it through group policy now:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
I didn't know that GPO can create WordPress posts.

I'll show myself out...
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #448
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

sorry, post scotch post. I can't even blame it on a typo! Plus, I was watching the game at the same time
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #449
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon

This video talks about using the above program and delves into the various security concerns.
Can't seem to download this. Gets to the dl link then nothing happens.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #450
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sure, MS is collecting data on everyone using W10 (though nobody to date has been able to give an example of where this actually had a negative impact beyond paranoia of what might happen), but are you certain you wanna trust these more obscure shops that are all "sure we'll promise to block big baddy M$ if you just install our handy dandy lil' program which itself has deep access to your PC..."
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #451
iamajai
Draft Pick

I've been using Windows 10 for the past two months and my big beef with it is that there doesn't seem to be any way to control when it installs updates and reboots. You used to get a warning that you could postpone, but now Windows updates and reboots whenever the heck it pleases. I use my Windows PC primarily as a Plex server and I'll lose connectivity in the middle of a movie on my TV and sure enough my PC is going through a Windows update for the next 30 minutes. Has happened a few times now.
iamajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #452
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you given this a try?
http://superuser.com/questions/95726...-in-windows-10
You can either set it to work like the old windows update through group policy, or change the time of day it does it.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #453
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamajai View Post
I've been using Windows 10 for the past two months and my big beef with it is that there doesn't seem to be any way to control when it installs updates and reboots. You used to get a warning that you could postpone, but now Windows updates and reboots whenever the heck it pleases. I use my Windows PC primarily as a Plex server and I'll lose connectivity in the middle of a movie on my TV and sure enough my PC is going through a Windows update for the next 30 minutes. Has happened a few times now.
Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are installed

Change the drop-down menu to "Notify to schedule restart".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #454
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I installed Win10 on my older laptop to give it a try.

How do I get the log in screen (when windows starts up) to permanently disappear? I have tried various solutions posted online but they don't seem to work for me. Anyone using 10 without a lock screen?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #455
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I installed Win10 on my older laptop to give it a try.

How do I get the log in screen (when windows starts up) to permanently disappear? I have tried various solutions posted online but they don't seem to work for me. Anyone using 10 without a lock screen?
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...in-windows-10/

Works perfectly for me.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #456
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having trouble with the Windows Store lately? I'm unable to pay for anything - it thinks for a second, then gives me an unhelpful, "Give it another try. Something went wrong."
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #457
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Can't seem to download this. Gets to the dl link then nothing happens.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #458
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you are holding off updating to Windows 10 I would suggest waiting a bit longer as there are still quite a few issues that can pop up. I thought I was smart to wait over 6 months but really wish I had waited longer as I am still finding bugs popping up. Usually just restarting will fix problems but that can be annoying. My computer has been running faster since updating to Windows 10 so there is that!

My latest issue was after an Windows update my USB ports all stopped working. I followed directions from Microsoft help pages which of course didn't work and for the past 3 days I've been wasting time trying to get the drivers reinstalled. If anyone is having problems with USB ports this is a common issue after Jan ~12 update.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #459
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. Been holding off, will wait a bit longer.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #460
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Not sure about fatal concerns, but for me...

Spoiler!
Did you know you can't completely turn Cortana off? Even after disabling it continues to run in the background and uses a small amount of memory and works in the background doing god knows what. If you end task it will immediately pop back up in task manager.

Honestly windows 10 has been pretty good but the more I learn about it the more I wish I hadn't upgraded. It basically acts like spyware with some of its features.

Thanks DoubleF for your suggestions. They were easy to complete and everyone should be doing these at a minimum.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote