Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d be lying if I said a deal like that didn’t peak my interest with regards to Bennett; would you guys do a 7 x 2.86 AAV for Bennett? Could turn into an amazing contract if he pops and if he doesn’t it’s not a bad bottom 6 contract for the books. I doubt Bennett would consider it and feel like he either takes the arbitrator ruling or signs a bridge deal and bets on himself one last time.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love how Poile conducts business
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #23
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think there is any way Bennett signs a deal like this.

Sure would be nice though
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #24
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, no, this is wrong. Sissons has .291 ppg, Sundqvist has .278 ppg, Bennett has .371 ppg. And he's played way more games than either of them.
I think he's using their most recent seasons for his ppg numbers
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #25
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
While true, imagine if we gave Lance Bouma a seven year deal after his one big season? That's basically what Nashville just did. They better hope that Sissons actually trends up.
Except Sissons doesn't just have one anomaly season. The year before last was similar. He's also had multiple good playoffs. This is closer to Bennett, not Bouma. And at 2.5M, I would give Bennett a seven year contract. Sure. There's not a ton of risk in that but huge reward potentially.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players must love it Nashville.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Except Sissons doesn't just have one anomaly season. The year before last was similar. He's also had multiple good playoffs. This is closer to Bennett, not Bouma. And at 2.5M, I would give Bennett a seven year contract. Sure. There's not a ton of risk in that but huge reward potentially.
8 goals in 56 games in 16-17 and 9 in 82 in 17-18. Added a lot of assists though.

Bouma went from .192ppg to .435. Sissons went from .172 to .300 to .400. Certainly that extra year makes it a bit less of a risk for Nashville, but overall, we are still talking about a player with exactly one 10+ goal season in his career. And Bouma is still a closer comparison than Bennett, who's four seasons have been .467/.321/.317/.380.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #28
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero chance Bennett would sign such a contract. His draft pedigree means he'll keep getting chances to succeed.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Zero chance Bennett would sign such a contract. His draft pedigree means he'll keep getting chances to succeed.
between his style of play, inability to produce offense and his relatively poor defensive abilities, Bennett's agent should absolutely be advising him to take term if it's offered.

If I was his agent I would be looking at this deal and saying if the flames offer 2x6 you take it and run.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Players must love it Nashville.
It actually is a really good place to be. Temperate, fun, nice places to live, hockey is a pretty big deal but not overpowering.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poile has lost players like Suter to free agency, Vesey to to NY Rangers, and then Webber was offer-sheeted.

7 years ago, Brodie and Josi were both RFAs with a similar track records.
Brodie signed a 2 year deal, followed by a 5 year deal at 4.65 mill per.

Poile took a different approach and signed Josi to a 7 year deal for only 4 million per. Prior to this contract, Josi had only played 52 games. It ended up being one of the best contracts in NHL history. Certainly the best in the past 5 years. Josi will finally get the money he deserves after this season. But it's pretty obvious that he'll stay in Nashville.

I think these long contracts are a good alternative to having guys walk away as UFAs.
Nashville is an odd city. People either seem to walk away, or they love the city and stay there forever.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Has there ever been a contract this long for an amount below $3 million/season? It's an interesting concept for sure.
Robyn Regehr's second contract? (Although I think it was for only five years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Poile has lost players like Suter to free agency, Vesey to to NY Rangers, and then Webber was offer-sheeted.

Nashville is an odd city. People either seem to walk away, or they love the city and stay there forever.
I don't think Vesey is a very good example since he never even lived there. And Suter signed one 4 year extension before moving a lot closer to home, for a lot of dough. I doubt anyone would say Minnesota is a preferable place than Nashville, unless they are from there. And I'm not sure how Weber signing an offer sheet is an example. I think those are most often signed to force ownership's hand. Plus at the time it was the highest offer sheet in history.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #34
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think Vesey is a very good example since he never even lived there. And Suter signed one 4 year extension before moving a lot closer to home, for a lot of dough. I doubt anyone would say Minnesota is a preferable place than Nashville, unless they are from there. And I'm not sure how Weber signing an offer sheet is an example. I think those are most often signed to force ownership's hand. Plus at the time it was the highest offer sheet in history.
My point wasn't really on Nashville as a destination. My point is simply that Poile likes long term control because he has lost valuable assets in the past.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
My point wasn't really on Nashville as a destination. My point is simply that Poile likes long term control because he has lost valuable assets in the past.
Fair enough. I was more addressing the last sentence in your post.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #36
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
8 goals in 56 games in 16-17 and 9 in 82 in 17-18. Added a lot of assists though.

Bouma went from .192ppg to .435. Sissons went from .172 to .300 to .400. Certainly that extra year makes it a bit less of a risk for Nashville, but overall, we are still talking about a player with exactly one 10+ goal season in his career. And Bouma is still a closer comparison than Bennett, who's four seasons have been .467/.321/.317/.380.
Sissons went from 0.333 to 0.4. Hardly ground breaking. Two 'good' seasons back-to-back is entirely different than just one 'good' season in a favourable position like Bouma had. Especially when Sissons had two years in the playoffs of decent production (for someone making 2.8M...)

Bennett went from 0.317 to 0.38 from 2018 to 2019...the same increase as Sissons.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If I was his agent I would be looking at this deal and saying if the flames offer 2x6 you take it and run.
Considering he's made close to $2M in each of the last 2 seasons, I would wager he's quite contend you are not his agent.

He'll get more than $2M on a 1 year deal.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think he's using their most recent seasons for his ppg numbers
If so, fine, but that isn't what determines your value as a hockey player. It's a part of the puzzle, sure, but it certainly isn't the big picture in this case. There is no chance in hell that Sundqvist has more value than Bennett. Sissons is probably up for debate because playoff experience inflates a guy's contract value, but even there, I'm doubtful.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #39
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Bennett wants to work himself up to a $5MM to $6MM contract by his next deal (2 or 3 years down the road). I don't believe he will, but I can see he and his agent believing it's possible.

I would sign Mangiapane to a deal like this though. Maybe closer to the $2MM than the $3MM, but I think a long term deal with low AAV would be low risk/high reward for Mangiapane. I really liked how his game grew last year.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think the Nashville mafia must be digging up dirt on some of these players.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote