Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #121
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thank you all for the discussion and replies. As OP a couple things:

1. Honestly wasn't trying to cause the defensiveness I saw. I did provide what I thought was a good path forward, but I also admitted it was based on a foundation of possibly incorrect assumptions, hence my post and hope for discussion (which I did get, so thank you for all the posts). I have zero problem with being wrong. I posted to get educated. I guess passionate people posting is good- it drives a deeper discussion!

2. No I don't want to eat the rich- by Albertian standards I am borderline "rich" so lets not do that please. I do think its the "rich"'s job to subsidize efforts to help increase upward social mobility via tax policy. However, I am not as far left as many of you think, for example I believe, the Federal NDP taxation policy of the ultra rich during the last election would of hurt Canada given the current global tax situation. I generally vote conservative, although, have never voted for the UCP or Wildrose

3. Comparing public transit, or any public accessible site to a private golf course with no public access is a joke.

4. I am 100% ok with the existence of private golf courses within City limits, its the tax policy I still have issue with (but less issue I admit after reading many good points in here). ie. let wealthy people enjoy the benifits of the taxes they pay, via by paying "proper" taxes on said private golf course.

5. Green spaces don't need to be golf courses, but in areas where they are flood prone, I concede there is an argument that a tax paying golf course may be more beneficial to society then another green space park... in some instances. Calgary Golf and Country club's "high ground" was indeed in my mind when I made my post, although a) there is discussion to be held that the lower ground can't be utilized as a golf course without the high ground area and b) if the elbow river dry dam gets built, I would consider the entire golf course as well (assuming the capacity of the dry dam sufficiently protects it).

6. Below the the best post of this thread. I read this last night and honestly it made me giggle. My secret agenda was found, as an upper class, white male I truly hate myself, and my "people". So to offset my "white guilt" I decided I would attack golf, because of its racial and gender norms. I want to dismantle white/male slanted activities- next up is outlawing micro brews serving Pilsner (serve better beer!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Absolutely. The posters in question should just come out and admit that the energy behind this whole thread and many of the arguments in it is 'eat the rich' and dismantling things that are culturally slanted white and male.

One thing I am confused about- sorry if I missed it. Which of the following is true, if any?

1. Golf courses in the City of Calgary are taxed under the same flat tax rate as commercial land, only valuation changes from site to site.

2. Golf courses in the City of Calgary are taxed under the same tax rates as commercial land, however, commercial land has different rates for different zoning and golf courses have a rate different then lets say a tower (i.e. rate being % of land value, not the land value)

3. Golf courses in the City of Calgary are taxed under the same flat tax rate as commercial land, but golf courses don't account for location when calculating valuation where other commercial land does.

If 3 above is true, how does the city calculate valuation of said course?

Last edited by Mull; 08-01-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #122
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s get right down to it.

Can I reduce my property taxes by declaring my lot an 18 hole course by putting a few holes in my lawn?
Old 08-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post

Can I reduce my property taxes by declaring my lot an 18 hole course by putting a few holes in my lawn?
Yes.

I did that last year and other than having to shoo free-range golfers off my lawn constantly its been great. I had to get a pitbull to chain up on my lawn to keep those pesky ball-swatters at bay.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #124
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The bigger question is whether Mini-Golf is taxed the same way? b/c I'm already thinking about designing my own course.

More seriously, i wonder how something like a Top Golf operation would be classed? It's far more efficient from a user to space ratio...and fun as hell.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have a practice disc golf basket, where do I apply to pay zero taxes? I can mount a cross on the top of it if that helps.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #126
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have a practice disc golf basket, where do I apply to pay zero taxes? I can mount a cross on the top of it if that helps.
What if you put cell phone repeaters inside your disc golf basket and got paid by cell phone companies as well? Then you could save on taxes and generate revenue.

Tags
axe to grind , i am for sure right , i know all the details , no way i am wrong