Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #61
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
lol, it's not like Apple is out there in a boat discovering the world.
Maybe they should be, Google is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No one forced Apple to replace a product with their inferior version either. It was a stupid move, so stupid we've seen shake ups at the executive level because of it.
This. The failure is not an inferior mapping product (I've worked closely with the industry and my shallow dabbling in mapping gives me a small idea of how truly difficult it is, and how truly impressive it is when it gets done right), or at least I don't blame them for having a immature mapping product, the failure is in kicking out a mature best of class product and switching to something inferior. Makes sense at some business level, but not at a consumer level.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #62
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
the failure is in kicking out a mature best of class product and switching to something inferior. Makes sense at some business level, but not at a consumer level.
Yes, but they would have been forced to do that in a matter of months when their agreement with Google runs out. Seeing as we all agree this was a major change, should it not have gone out with a major version change in the operating system? Going from 5.X to 6.0 seems like the right place to do it; instead of from 6.0 to 6.1

I think part of the issue here was all the people who rushed to install iOS 6 without looking to see what the changes were; and how it would impact them.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #63
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yes, but they would have been forced to do that in a matter of months when their agreement with Google runs out. Seeing as we all agree this was a major change, should it not have gone out with a major version change in the operating system? Going from 5.X to 6.0 seems like the right place to do it; instead of from 6.0 to 6.1

I think part of the issue here was all the people who rushed to install iOS 6 without looking to see what the changes were; and how it would impact them.
Just because they were forced to release their own product, doesn't mean they were forced to release something that was below the standard that their customers expect from them, given their track record.

Of course, its not like this is news to anyone who frequents CP, so I can't imagine using the new Maps app without at least being sure it was taking me to the right place. So the bolded part is really the problem here. You can't blame Apple for a mistake you made using their product, unless you were somehow living under a rock and didn't realize there was a huge problem with the Maps app they released.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #64
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just because they were forced to release their own product, doesn't mean they were forced to release something that was below the standard that their customers expect from them, given their track record.
Perhaps. However I'd be willing to say that Google Maps is easily the best mapping application out there, so it isn't nessesarily fair to compare a new application to the best one in the world.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #65
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think had they released something that wasn't obviously broken in many ways, they would have had next to no lashback from their customers.

Because, like you said, Google Maps is by far the king and will be for a long time. Nothing is going to change that at this point.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #66
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

They could have just signed a new agreement with Google. That would have been the responsible thing to do until Apple maps was ready. It's not like Google would pull their flagship app and advertising vehicle from the most popular mobile phone ecosystem.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #67
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
They could have just signed a new agreement with Google. That would have been the responsible thing to do until Apple maps was ready. It's not like Google would pull their flagship app and advertising vehicle from the most popular mobile phone ecosystem.
No but they would have bent apple over and not provided any lube in the terms of negotiating that contract extension knowing Apple had no choice but had to use them. It isn't like the Maps app sucking has stopped people from buying the 5
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #68
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have used Apple Maps twice and it's 50/50 for me, I now use the web version of google maps instead.

I put it "Heatherglen golf calgary" and it mapped me to city hall, WTF? Maybe it's because Heatherglen is outside city limits, but still weird.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #69
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
No but they would have bent apple over and not provided any lube in the terms of negotiating that contract extension knowing Apple had no choice but had to use them.
So Apple decided rather than spend money (being cash-strapped as they are), they'd rather screw over their customers. Good business decision - until your customers find out.

I haven't upgraded my iOS and won't until the Google app is available. Not that I use the Maps all that much, it's just I hate the idea of downgrading anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #70
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I reported the problem to Apple and pinned right place. Curious to see how long it takes until it is fixed
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #71
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The reason they didn't want a new deal with Google is because Google refused to include turn-by-turn voice navigation. Google wanted to keep it unique to their maps app in Android, which is understandable, and so Apple opted to go their own way, as they saw this as a basic feature that they needed to include to be competitive.

What's really unfortunate about the whole thing, is that people forget what a mess Google Maps was when it was first launched. Of course, back then, Internet maps were just a cute novelty that the mainstream didn't really care about, so Google was afforded all the time in the world to do something with it.

I understand and accept the business decisions on both sides, but I just wish Apple would have built their new app and simply licensed Google's backend map data for it. I imagine the negotiations over a new deal got pretty ugly though, so I guess it just is what it is.

I remember when Google Maps was launched. It was really cool and unique (for nerds like me, anyway), and everyone I knew (fellow nerds) was happily running around and checking data, submitting corrections, etc etc. Nowadays, though, it's just not like that. Once something goes mainstream, the days of "growing the experience" are long gone. Instead of people happily running around helping Apple gather accurate mapping data, they're angrily switching over to the web-based Google Maps "until Apple's maps stop sucking." Of course, they'll never stop sucking unless people actually use them and submit corrections, but who's going to do hard work like that these days? Much easier to just use something else...

I don't imagine Apple will get a lot of sympathy though, and nor do I think they should. They've made business decisions in the past (which I have backed) that were just like the one Google made (to not provide turn-by-turn), so I can't start jumping around over this. Besides, my healthy respect for business logic would never allow it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #72
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Do you just mean the offline map storage? Without a data connection it won't calculate the routes, even if you have maps downloaded from Google. Unless that is something really new that was introduced.

I tried to do that when I went to the states and didn't want to get charged roaming, and it didn't work out, although I at least had the maps around Glacier National Park and Spokane.
Yes - which eliminates any real argument that a paper map is somehow necessary as some were suggesting, given that paper maps will not calculate my route for me either.

To be honest I don't even use route calculation on electronic maps, I never have. I use them as maps. Sure, I use the search to find out where my "end" point is and then figure out how I'm going to get there for myself. Might be alone on that though.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #73
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
Might be alone on that though.
Nope
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #74
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post

A paper map in my car? lol ok...you'd have to be an idiot to carry a paper map in your car when you have a smart phone with unlimited internet and supposed GPS on it.
says the guy who got lost in his own city
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #75
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I reported the problem to Apple and pinned right place. Curious to see how long it takes until it is fixed
Shouldn't take too long - I reported a spelling mistake probably first day iOS 6 was released ("Spay Lake", anyone?) and it was fixed within a few weeks.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #76
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still haven't upgraded to IOS6 because of this issue. I am fairly new to the bus after living on the Ctrain line for a decade that I use the transit function on google maps a lot.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #77
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
says the guy who got lost in his own city
I'd totally be lost if i was in the deep sw or se. Calgary is one big ass city.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #78
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Shouldn't take too long - I reported a spelling mistake probably first day iOS 6 was released ("Spay Lake", anyone?) and it was fixed within a few weeks.
None of the errors I've reported have been fixed yet. Olympic Plaza is still a block off, McHugh Bluff is still McHuge, Haultain Park is still 13th Ave Park, downtown remains full of gas stations, etc. Until they start fixing something I'm not going to bother helping to fix their terrible maps.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #79
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
None of the errors I've reported have been fixed yet. Olympic Plaza is still a block off, McHugh Bluff is still McHuge, Haultain Park is still 13th Ave Park, downtown remains full of gas stations, etc. Until they start fixing something I'm not going to bother helping to fix their terrible maps.
Yeah, I've been watching the downtown gas station situation too wondering when they will fix it, I submitted those as well.

It's such a crazy untenable situation for them - these kinds of corrections are being submitted for the whole world. Google's only better at this point because they've been doing it for 7 years - that's the kind of effort it takes to get to that level.

Imagine if we're still complaining about this on iOS X.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #80
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to get "unverified listing" all the time on the old app. So they new one is slight;y worse, big deal. If you don't know where you are going, you should find that out before getting in the car, not while driving. Duh.