Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default What are you reading?

Hard to find the last thread and it was a monster, mega-thread anyways. Probably a good time to start another one and see what everyone is reading these days.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
jayswin

Exp:

I'm trying to find a good book that explains quantum physics/theory to the relative laymen, if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll is one I like.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm currently reading "the silk roads" by peter frankopan

https://bookmanager.com/8100845/?sea...us&qsb=keyword

Great book on the history and significance of middle eurasia.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm reading Strongmen - by Ruth Ben-Ghiat. She's a historian so the details are well researched but I find myself looking for a bit more analysis. But it does a fairly effective job drawing parallels between early fascism and current populism.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foundation Series. Need to get it done before the show starts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Decided to go ooolllld school and re-read the Thrawn Series by Anderson from the Legends EU. Its kind of jarring how different the Clone Wars stuff was talked about. mad cloners on both sides.

Some of it is dumb Joruuuuuusss Cboth, cause he's a clone, get it.

But an overall satisfying pulp read.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

And maybe if posters wouldn't mind just a really quick idea of what the book is so we know if it's up our alley or not, to avoid googling every post.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #10
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished up American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I haven't watched the television series, but was considering it and wanted to finish the book first.

That lead me to finally getting into Terry Pratchett, and I'm reading the Death Trilogy, starting with Mort. I'm not the biggest fan of humorous writing, but I am very impressed with how smooth this goes down.

Also, I finally found copies of a series that I read in high school, and thought was great then. I'm hoping it stands up. The Guardians of the Flame series by Canadian fantasy author Joel Rosenberg. It's about a bunch of friends at the UofT that have a D&D night, are knocked out, and end up inside of the story. Goofiest of premises, but I remembered it as having a lot more depth than you would think. When they finally figure out that they have certain advantages coming from an advanced culture, the series takes off. Looking forward to revisiting it.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Currently reading Orlando by Virginia Woolf - a fake biography of Orlando, a person loosely based on her lover Vita Sackville-West, who travels through various stages of English history and changes sex from man to woman at one point.

Then up next is Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series which features Orlando as one of the lead characters. I occasionally feel like I need to read the work being referenced before I start with a parody/pastiche.

Then up after that will probably be fellow explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes' biography of Robert Falcon Scott, the man who just missed out on being first to the South Pole by a few days and who then died along with his team on the way back. Most accounts paint him as having been terribly ill prepared (bringing horses rather than the Norwegian team's huskies) but there have been other schools of thought presenting him as an unlucky hero. We'll see where Fiennes comes down on him.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
On my list for sure. Currently working through the empire series.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm trying to find a good book that explains quantum physics/theory to the relative laymen, if anyone has any suggestions.
“Why does e=mc2 (and why should we care)” By Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll is one I like.
I’ve just started this - enjoyed his appearances on Joe Rogan podcast
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #15
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed reading “North American Lake Monsters” after watching the TV anthology series, “Monsterland”. Short fantasy stories, mainly of the theme that the real monster is society/humanity. I picked up a copy of Stephen King’s, “Thinner”, so will work on that next.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #16
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Me too! I'm just about finished Foundation and Earth. Which book are you on?

Actually the last 2 (Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth) have been a bit of a let down.

I guess Asimov wrote the first 3 when he was 21 and then later on the books got really popular on re-release and his publisher basically forced him to make more.

I love the world building though. Once I'm done with the 7 Foundation books I'm going to read the Robot Series which apparently follow along where Foundation leaves off.

I've been on a major sci-fi kick for a while now. Read Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy before starting Foundation and that really blew my mind. Talk about world building!
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #17
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I remember, if you are only going to read one, make it Foundation and Empire. You can put together most of the world building from the first book in your mind, and the ending leaves a universe available for your imagination. That is, if I remember correctly, so.....
Old 02-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #18
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
From what I remember, if you are only going to read one, make it Foundation and Empire. You can put together most of the world building from the first book in your mind, and the ending leaves a universe available for your imagination. That is, if I remember correctly, so.....
I think the first 3 are required reading. Because the first one explains the Seldon Plan and the creation of The Foundation. Just jumping into the second book might be confusing.

But Foundation and Empire is probably my favourite. The introduction of The Mule who is just such a great character. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Tv show will portray The Mule.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #19
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading Dune (Frank Herbert). I started it a while back and put it aside for a bit, but have come back to it, about halfway through. Quite enjoying it and can see why its considered a sci-fi classic. Look forward to finishing it up soon and hoping the upcoming movie will be good.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #20
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Reading Dune (Frank Herbert). I started it a while back and put it aside for a bit, but have come back to it, about halfway through. Quite enjoying it and can see why its considered a sci-fi classic. Look forward to finishing it up soon and hoping the upcoming movie will be good.
Me too! Really enjoying it. The scope and detail of Herbert’s world is impressive. Looking forward to the movie.

Also recently read a good one by David Grann called “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI”. Historical account of the Osage Tribe in Oklahoma in the early 1900s, they secured the rights to all the minerals and resources in the land they were forcibly moved to, which happened to have a lot of oil, they became the richest people per capita on earth, and the systematic murder of dozens of them by local townspeople looking to take their money.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: