Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #4621
Mull
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Weibo is a "legit" company

Think WhatsAPP but actively monitored and censored by the CCP

516 Million users

No idea about that specific link though
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #4622
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQ View Post
Here I quote a guy's comment from Chinese Canadian social media. I agree with him.

It is true that CPP banned all kind's of press and speech on internet.

"For all the international issues in China, the first is the lack of freedom of press and speech.
Facts have proved that the Chinese government's banning and media control measures can not stop rumors at all; on the contrary, it has made China lose its credibility and the ability to clarify rumors, which greatly facilitates anti-China rumors.
No matter how ugly the truth is, it will always be better than people's imagination. "
This is total BS. This is not always the case.

Read some memoirs from WW2. The allies (at least the troops on the ground) had no idea the atrocities happening in the Nazi death camps. It was literally worse than they ever could have imagined.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #4623
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This errr stuff is so weird man.

So weird.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #4624
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post

Read some memoirs from WW2. The allies (at least the troops on the ground) had no idea the atrocities happening in the Nazi death camps. It was literally worse than they ever could have imagined.
We rarely agree you and I....but yes.

My old neighbours were Rwandan refugees and things happened to them that I couldnt even imagine.

I wouldnt ever imagine.

So yes, that statement is complete garbage.

You know what really terrifies me? We went through the Holocaust and have people who will claim it never happened.

Rwandan Genocide? Ditto.

But you'd imagine that they've learned a thing or two in the intervening years....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #4625
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this the right spot for this, but Benchmark Mineral Intelligence was invited to speak before the House of Commons and spoke today on "electic vehicle and battery supply chains."

Yahoo news link. - "Benchmark Mineral Intelligence to appear before Canadaís House of Commons to speak on electric vehicle and battery supply chains.

Mining.com Link - "Canada could be top player in global EV battery market ó report"

Globe and Mail had an opinion piece on this over a year ago, but with this speech to the House of Commons, maybe we'll see some action/plan come to fruition? I won't hold my breath.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #4626
boogerz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post

There is zero chance that the allies didn't know about what was happening at Nazi forced labour camps beforehand.

In the mid to late 30s, prior to the breakout of WWII, the Nazis did some dog and pony shows to show the western world what their forced labour camps were like.

Dokumentationszentrum NS-Zwangsarbeit in Berlin has old newspaper articles from London Times, New York Times, and other news outlets from the time, complete with pictures.

Surprisingly, it's not a whole lot different than the news that we see about China's Uighur camps today.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #4627
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
There is zero chance that the allies didn't know about what was happening at Nazi forced labour camps beforehand.

In the mid to late 30s, prior to the breakout of WWII, the Nazis did some dog and pony shows to show the western world what their forced labour camps were like.

Dokumentationszentrum NS-Zwangsarbeit in Berlin has old newspaper articles from London Times, New York Times, and other news outlets from the time, complete with pictures.

Surprisingly, it's not a whole lot different than the news that we see about China's Uighur camps today.
Um. Sorry. I'm going to just have to go and disagree with you 100% there.

There is an enormously 'Greater than Zero' chance that the Allies had little to no idea what was happening in those concentration camps.

And even if they did know...those camps were conveniently placed behind enemy lines. I dont know who thought of that, but it was brilliant...I mean, if your goal is to hide atrocities.

Its almost like the Nazis used Propaganda to hide their intentions and deeds....but the Nazis wouldnt do us dirty like that would they? You really think a Nazi would lie to you?

Not the Nazis that I know...which...is none.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #4628
boogerz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Um. Sorry. I'm going to just have to go and disagree with you 100% there.

There is an enormously 'Greater than Zero' chance that the Allies had little to no idea what was happening in those concentration camps.

And even if they did know...those camps were conveniently placed behind enemy lines. I dont know who thought of that, but it was brilliant...I mean, if your goal is to hide atrocities.

Its almost like the Nazis used Propaganda to hide their intentions and deeds....but the Nazis wouldnt do us dirty like that would they? You really think a Nazi would lie to you?

Not the Nazis that I know...which...is none.
As early as 1934, there's documented proof of western journalists being allowed to visit Nazi Forced labour camps. The Allies knew that there were hundreds of labour camps with hundreds of thousands of detainees.

The great minds and leaders from that era weren't idiots. They could read between the lines, and certainly knew that atrocities were being committed, even if they weren't directly seeing it with their own eyes.

Again, it's not unlike the level of press coverage that we have of the Uighur situation today, except that China doesn't even have the balls to do a dog and pony show like the Nazis did.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #4629
Flamenspiel
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is just another troll/astroturfer scenario, in this case even more blatant. A new account appears, spouts CCP propaganda right out of an old GRU handbook and succeeds when someone else Godwins up the thread.

Brilliant.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #4630
Mull
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As early as 1934, there's documented proof of western journalists being allowed to visit Nazi Forced labour camps. The Allies knew that there were hundreds of labour camps with hundreds of thousands of detainees.

The great minds and leaders from that era weren't idiots. They could read between the lines, and certainly knew that atrocities were being committed, even if they weren't directly seeing it with their own eyes.

Again, it's not unlike the level of press coverage that we have of the Uighur situation today, except that China doesn't even have the balls to do a dog and pony show like the Nazis did.
In that case, dam Allies for not invading Nazi Germany... oh wait
Old 02-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #4631
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364394483853512706

Interesting liíl shift in Conservative messaging.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #4632
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The allies definitely knew ahead of time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #4633
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm tired of all of the juvenile messaging from all of the political parties, they're not clever, they're not funny, they're just throwing smoke on everything. They come across as idiotic 12 year olds.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #4634
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Watching that clip of O'Toole, I'm just embarrassed for him. CC you're right, it's not funny. It's just cringey.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #4635
Mull
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Watching that clip of O'Toole, I'm just embarrassed for him. CC you're right, it's not funny. It's just cringey.
This tweet summed it up for me perfectly
https://twitter.com/user/status/1364399373581381644

Or this one was kind of funny

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364598128691843075

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364631904809541636

Last edited by Mull; 02-24-2021 at 11:47 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #4636
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm tired of all of the juvenile messaging from all of the political parties, they're not clever, they're not funny, they're just throwing smoke on everything. They come across as idiotic 12 year olds.
It's so dumb. And they all do it, then all laugh at the other parties when they do it.

No party in this country has an ounce of self awareness
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #4637
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

CPC and NDP having equally cringeworthy Tweets yesterday. Both have awful members in their ranks. Both are unelectable.

Get through election reform and/or do something in politics to attract better candidates.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #4638
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It's so dumb. And they all do it, then all laugh at the other parties when they do it.

No party in this country has an ounce of self awareness
At this point I will literally settle for voting in someone who comes across as an adult that is acting like they understand what it means to lead the country.

Who the #### are these clowns?

(I'm also embarrassed because I went to bat for O'Toole when he won the nomination and he's shown himself to be exactly like everyone else).

You're not 12, you're not PepsiFree snarking it up on the internet, you're not some zany Gen Z running the twitter account of Wendys. Act like someone who deserves the top job already, christ!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #4639
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Seriously what the #### is this ####? Help me, help you. I am begging for someone to vote for who isn’t Trudeau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
This tweet summed it up for me perfectly
https://twitter.com/user/status/1364399373581381644
https://twitter.com/user/status/1364405833497407488

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 02-24-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #4640
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
At this point I will literally settle for voting in someone who comes across as an adult that is acting like they understand what it means to lead the country.

Who the #### are these clowns?

(I'm also embarrassed because I went to bat for O'Toole when he won the nomination and he's shown himself to be exactly like everyone else).

You're not 12, you're not PepsiFree snarking it up on the internet, you're not some zany Gen Z running the twitter account of Wendys. Act like someone who deserves the top job already, christ!
Well said

At this point all I want is an adult. I don't even care what party anymore
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote