Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #4481
Baron von Kriterium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I seem to recall there were hundreds of thousands of lost or stolen registered weapons i.e. where the registered owner had no knowledge of the whereabouts of the weapon.
Mine will be lost in a boating accident this summer.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #4482
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Mine will be lost in a boating accident this summer.
If one were to dredge a lake....um...which one and when?

Asking....for a friend...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #4483
Geraldsh
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There is a booming market in camo-coloured weatherproof gun safes. So your guns won’t be damaged when you lose them.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 10:48 PM   #4484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know why I laughed at how ridiculous this is

https://torontosun.com/news/national...argets-airsoft

Quote:
While gun crime continues to plague Canadians streets, the Federal government is moving ahead with plans to outlaw airsoft.
On Friday, the Department of Justice confirmed to the Sun that sections of Bill C-21, the Federal Liberals’ new gun legislation, specifically targets the ‘unregulated airguns’ category that’s currently exempt from regulation or prohibition.

Quote:
That confirms our worst fears,” said Matt Wasilewicz, who owns Canadian Airsoft Imports, an airsoft supply wholesaler.

He told the Sun on Thursday that the bill, should it be passed into law as-is, would shutter an entire industry overnight — instantly outlawing safe and vibrant a hobby enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of Canadians and closing thousands of businesses.
Canadian police services and military also regularly use airsoft as a safe and inexpensive training tool.

Airsoft is legal in most countries, with many requiring weapons to have orange tips or otherwise coloured in such a way that distinguishes them from the real thing.
Wasilewicz said the community would probably have been amiable to such changes to keep the hobby legal, had anybody been willing to ask.

“The government didn’t take any effort to consult anybody in our industry,” he said.

I expect that they're seriously taking a look at nerf guns next.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:09 PM   #4485
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that sounds about right.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #4486
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's a neat story.

I'd love to have a .357 on me while hiking. I fataing hate bears.
Bear spray has been shown constantly more effective than a gun for decades.

You obviously don't live in tents 6 months out of the year. A gun won't do #### . Everyone thinks they will nail a bear between the eyes. The dozen of times I've used had to spray a bear or cougar a gun wouldn't have done a thing. You wouldnt even have a chance to draw it and aim it dead on. You would have missed. You don't usually get 100 or 70 feet to aim. You get 30 or 20 feet to make a decision.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-19-2021 at 11:31 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 11:27 PM   #4487
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
And has also been proven to lessen the severity of an attack if the defense mechanism isn't effective.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:33 AM   #4488
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...9e37a94d0/amp/

Official Languages Minister Mélanie Joly: "French is a minority language in this country, and the Government of Canada recognizes the need to intervene vigorously to counter and remedy its decline."

Wonder how much this paper cost and how much it's going to cost the "majority" in this country to implement these dead end projects and or further studies.

Forcing court judges and paying hundreds of thousands of mismanaged dollars to get some mid level managers at the passport office or Bell Canada to get French language training sounds like a money pit. Nice little addedum at the end to randomly include further funding for the CBC at the end too.

A brazen attempt to buy francophone votes, of course.

Last edited by browna; 02-20-2021 at 12:35 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #4489
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Country has highest unemployment in G7 and melting down but yeah, languages, that needs to be the focus.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #4490
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I agree that there is some good to this bill as minimum sentences have certainly destroyed lives but you have Bill C21 = these legally obtained guns being used in lawful ways by highly and regularly vetted licensed owners are such a rich a risk to society that they must be immediately banned and maximum punishments increased.
Two days later;
C22 actual gun crimes committed aren't that bad and jail isn't always necessary, especially if you're a minority.
This announcement is just a slap in the face for the sport shooting community.
And as CC pointed out C21 also includes airsoft and bb guns.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #4491
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
When I used to work at the gun counter, when ever someone started asking about the best gun for bear defense I would tell them bear spray.
(But if they insisted, as many did, I would point them towards Winchester PDX1 Defender 12g shotshells).
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #4492
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...9e37a94d0/amp/

Official Languages Minister Mélanie Joly: "French is a minority language in this country, and the Government of Canada recognizes the need to intervene vigorously to counter and remedy its decline."

Wonder how much this paper cost and how much it's going to cost the "majority" in this country to implement these dead end projects and or further studies.

Forcing court judges and paying hundreds of thousands of mismanaged dollars to get some mid level managers at the passport office or Bell Canada to get French language training sounds like a money pit. Nice little addedum at the end to randomly include further funding for the CBC at the end too.

A brazen attempt to buy francophone votes, of course.
Canada is like (what I imagine) a ####ty marriage is. Just heading for the eventual divorce but you'll still try and toss some crap at the wall just to say you tried. French add-ons everywhere west of Quebec are already a hilarious waste of time and money, the fact that we have french on all our signs and products should be enough for the language police. The people ascribing to the true bilingual nation myth won't ever give up on this but the truth is apparent to everyone else; there's no counteracting the decline of French in Canada because it's just not that useful or important of a language. Internationally it's increasingly irrelevant and even here locally there's more Chinese and German speakers with Polish and Tagalog not far behind.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #4493
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Canada is like (what I imagine) a ####ty marriage is. Just heading for the eventual divorce but you'll still try and toss some crap at the wall just to say you tried. French add-ons everywhere west of Quebec are already a hilarious waste of time and money, the fact that we have french on all our signs and products should be enough for the language police. The people ascribing to the true bilingual nation myth won't ever give up on this but the truth is apparent to everyone else; there's no counteracting the decline of French in Canada because it's just not that useful or important of a language. Internationally it's increasingly irrelevant and even here locally there's more Chinese and German speakers with Polish and Tagalog not far behind.
I've said it before, but if you have to 'Legislate' your Culture then its a joke.

If you need to legally force people to not forget about your culture, then its not standing on its own and that pretty much indicates its overall importance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #4494
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much of an impact C-21 will have on filming in Canada. Shame, as that industry is/was good for diversifying Alberta's economy.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #4495
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I wonder how much of an impact C-21 will have on filming in Canada. Shame, as that industry is/was good for diversifying Alberta's economy.
Something that matters to Alberta and BC's economy?

Hah, yeah, the feds don't give a ####
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #4496
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Hah, yeah, the feds don't give a ####
Oh I'm well aware, but Ontario brings in more $$$ in film than anyone out west.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #4497
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I'm well aware, but Ontario brings in more $$$ in film than anyone out west.
Oh really? I thought that wasn't the case anymore

Neeeeeevermind
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #4498
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Canada is on a nice path of continual decline in quality of life. It will be slow so people will object and call bull####, but it’s true. The country is irrelevant and continuing to alienate the few things it has going for it. People think because of our relationship with the USA we will be fine but they will exploit us the best they can.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:00 AM   #4499
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Canada is on a nice path of continual decline in quality of life.
I think this can be said about a large part of the western world, honestly. However Canada seems to be making faster strides.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:03 AM   #4500
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this can be said about a large part of the western world, honestly. However Canada seems to be making faster strides.
While potentially debatable I could agree with that.

Canada has weather going against it though. One of the only places that is liveable without worrying about the weather is a total #### hole (van island).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote