Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #3681
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
CPC taking their cues from the Beaverton. Yesterday in the Beaverton:

Today in the National Post:
Derek Sloan is a total moron. He is defending his actions on claiming that all constituents should have a voice, but he's certifying an anti-vaxxer petition. You don't certify something like this.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-2961

Quote:
Petition to the Government of Canada
Whereas:
The Government of Canada does not conduct independent safety testing of vaccines;
COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers are being granted legal immunity and will not be legally or financially liable for injuries or deaths caused by their products;
COVID-19 vaccine development is being rushed;
Standard, prudent safety protocols, such as prior animal testing, are being waived;
COVID-19 vaccines currently under development are not tested against an inert placebo and are utilizing never before implemented technology that injects manufactured genetic materials;
Long-term adverse effects of COVID-19 vaccination may not be known for many years;
No coronavirus vaccine has ever been approved because of serious adverse effects, including death to test animals, due to pathogenic priming;
COVID-19 vaccines are not designed to prevent infection or transmission; and
Bypassing proper safety protocols means COVID-19 vaccination is effectively human experimentation.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to
1- Preserve and protect our ethical, legal, and moral right to informed consent;
2- Legally ensure COVID19 vaccines are voluntary. This choice must be without disadvantage or prejudice;
3- Require that vaccine safety studies comply with standards equal to or exceeding other pharmaceutical products;
4- Create an independent committee with a broad range of stakeholder representatives, including citizen vaccine safety advocates;
5- Ensure no committee member has intellectual or financial conflicts of interest with the pharmaceutical or medical industry;
6- Grant this committee the power to independently review applications for approval of all vaccines, including COVID-19; and
7- Develop a vaccine injury compensation program whereby vaccine manufacturers are responsible for paying all costs related to the compensation for those injured or killed by their vaccines.
Ridiculous, and O'Toole deserves the smack from the National Post until he acts properly on this and people like Sloan (and the 29000+ people that signed this petition)
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #3682
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Come to their rescue? Ha. That’s a laugh.

You’re quickly devolving into conspiracy territory. Can’t give any credit at all, it’s either all or nothing.

Someone needs to back away from the keyboard.
What is there to credit?

Quote:
An investigation by CBC News reveals, however, that the Trudeau government hasn't been entirely transparent about where COVID-19 aid worth billions of dollars has gone.
Breaking news: Trudeau government doesn't entirely tell us where all of the 240$ billion is going, news at 11.

Again, what is there to credit? It's fluff. Typical soft gloves CBC approach when it directly involves the Trudeau government.

I was talking of the redacted documents from the WE scandal by the way and how the liberal media has handled the scandal (basically not at all until they were forced to acknowledge it).

I've stated my points pretty clear on the CBC's slant in prior posts including
a timeline of their WE reporting and how they are failing in their mandate. You can choose to ignore precedent if you wish.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=2072

Last edited by Firebot; 12-07-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #3683
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...+Article+Links

Quote:
The federal government passed over a private option for its plans to produce COVID-19 vaccine domestically by the end of 2020, instead investing in its own production facility that is now almost a year behind schedule.
The decision to pitch money into a delayed and still-under-construction government lab was made after Ottawa vowed to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to develop the country’s anemic biomanufacturing sector. With uncertainty emerging around whether Canada will be able to produce its own doses of the life-saving vaccine, those familiar with Canada’s pharmaceutical industry say Ottawa has charted the wrong course.

Quote:
His government is sticking with its plan to spend $170-million upgrading existing National Research Council labs and to build a whole new facility at the government-run organization’s Montreal campus. Delays, however, mean the facility won’t be able to produce any doses of the vaccine until late summer, at the earliest.
Right next door to the NRC, on Royalmount Avenue in Montreal, is PnuVax, which sources familiar with the company say could have been ready to produce millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2020.

The Globe and Mail is not identifying the industry sources, who are concerned criticizing government decisions could jeopardize future business with the Government of Canada.

Quote:
The PnuVax facility, which was most recently renovated in 2012 to meet Health Canada standards, sits on NRC land and has previously received support from the government research body. The company has worked to develop a low-cost pneumonia vaccine and was contracted by the federal government to produce an antibody-based treatment for the Ebola virus in 2014.
Multiple industry sources told The Globe that with the right investments, upgrades and approvals, PnuVax could have been producing vaccines much faster than the NRC’s plan to start from scratch.
Amine Kamen says, “There is a long history” with the PnuVax building. “It was there to support vaccine [production] in Canada,” said Dr. Kamen, a McGill professor who spent decades at the NRC pioneering a vaccine for rabies in animals. “If I was the Government of Canada, I would have taken that facility.”

The NRC originally partnered with Chinese company CanSino to test and produce its vaccine candidate for emergency use. When those plans fell through, the government doubled down on its hopes for the NRC, announcing $126-million for a new facility beside the one that was already getting $44-million in upgrades. The investment in the existing lab was supposed to mean it could be producing hundreds of thousands of doses a month as of November. Now, neither site will be ready before the summer of 2021.

Quote:
Gary Kobinger, who led the team that developed Canada’s successful Ebola vaccine, said, “My prediction is that, in a year or two, we’re going to wake up and see we’ve wasted all this money.” Dr. Kobinger sat on the government’s vaccine task force before resigning over what he perceived to be a lack of disclosure of conflicts of interest around the appointed members. He says the task force immediately recommended against the CanSino project when it was brought to them, after Ottawa had already decided to pursue the project.
Dr. Kobinger says if he had been in charge, he would have immediately pursued private companies that could handle the manufacturing side of the vaccine. “I don’t see why they went for the NRC.”
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #3684
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t read the article does it say which vaccine was the plan to manufacture?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #3685
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Damnit I went one over on my free globe looks, but IIRC and I should have put it in, it was the current vaccine that we're getting 124,000 doses this month.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Old 12-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #3686
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the article and honestly it’s not encouraging. The vaccine they reference is a plant based vaccine made in Quebec in conjunction with Phillip Morris. It’s unproven and not even in phase 3 trials yet. So, we’d be further behind if this was the route taken.

I guess the only way this would have made sense is if another vaccine was offering to license it and we could produce it, but that doesn’t appear to be happening (at least not that my layman’s eyes could see).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #3687
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I read the article and honestly it’s not encouraging. The vaccine they reference is a plant based vaccine made in Quebec in conjunction with Phillip Morris. It’s unproven and not even in phase 3 trials yet. So, we’d be further behind if this was the route taken.

I guess the only way this would have made sense is if another vaccine was offering to license it and we could produce it, but that doesn’t appear to be happening (at least not that my layman’s eyes could see).
Okay....well....Phillip Morris is well versed in 'plant based' products, but they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

"Heyyy.....these are just cigarettes!!"

- COVID's gonna kill us all....smoke 'em if you got 'em!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #3688
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

LOL, if there was a vaccine I'd be hesitant to trust, it would be one form the unholy alliance of a pharmaceutical company and a tobacco company.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #3689
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay....well....Phillip Morris is well versed in 'plant based' products, but they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

"Heyyy.....these are just cigarettes!!"

- COVID's gonna kill us all....smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Yeah and maybe it will work and be amazing. I have no idea. But thank god the feds didn’t put all their eggs in this basket because it’s nowhere near ready, and obviously they’ve secured other doses that are.

There’s plenty to hammer these idiots with, but it looks like they’ve done well on this particular case.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #3690
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Part of the interview with the Prolux CEO about local manufacture of the Astrazenica vaccine

https://twitter.com/user/status/1336447755263352832
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #3691
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
LOL, if there was a vaccine I'd be hesitant to trust, it would be one form the unholy alliance of a pharmaceutical company and a tobacco company.
The Vaccine would work fine but it would be expensive and highly addictive.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #3692
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...re-fitch-warns

Quote:
TORONTO — Fitch Ratings, which in June stripped Canada of its triple-A credit rating, has warned that Canada could face renewed pressure on its rating if Ottawa sticks to spending plans outlined last week in a fiscal update without raising revenue.
“Canada’s recently released medium-term financial roadmap reinforces the likelihood of a rising public debt burden and expansionary fiscal policy without precise details of a return to a fiscal anchor and consolidation,” Fitch Ratings said in an article posted on its website on Monday.

Quote:
Fitch downgraded Canada to ‘AA+’ in June, making it the first time since August 2004 that the ratings agency did not give Canada top marks. Canada had been one of a handful of countries with a AAA rating from all three of the main agencies.
Moody’s Investors Service last month affirmed Canada’s triple-A rating, saying the risk of a material, long-lasting deterioration of Canada’s economic or fiscal strength due to the coronavirus crisis is low.
S&P Global Ratings and DBRS Morningstar also continue to give Canada their highest rating, while bond investors are giving Ottawa “the benefit of the doubt,” expecting a historic budget deficit to be slashed once the pandemic subsides.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #3693
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don’t they grow the vaccine on tobacco leaves? Sort of what Phillip Morris has some experience in?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #3694
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for context, last year PnuVax was accused by the Gates Foundation of misusing grant funds that it had been awarded to develop a flu vaccine. According to the Gates Foundation, PnuVax used some of the grant funds to cover it's overdue rent to the Government of Canada, as it had stopped paying rent to the NRC for over a year and owed over $1M to the Government of Canada. The Gates Foundation also contended that PnuVax used grant funds to pay inflated amounts to a subcontractor that is owned by PnuVax's owner. Sounds like a real stand up company.

Also from the Globe & Mail article, hopefully this puts to bed the idea that the government could've been producing AstraZeneca vaccines in the NRC already:
Quote:
Until now, the NRC has never produced a vaccine for people. It has been approved for a previous project for veterinary vaccines by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, but does not yet have approval from Health Canada to make human vaccines.

To produce human vaccines, the NRC needs to be compliant with Health Canada’s good manufacturing practices (GMP). Two months ago, Dr. Krishnan said the NRC realized that the temporary clinical-trial facility “would not meet the GMP requirements.”
Quote:
A fourth candidate, from AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford, is based on the adenovirus. This is the type of vaccine the NRC could already be producing if it had been able to meet the initial timelines. AstraZeneca is granting licences to other countries to manufacture its vaccine domestically, but in a statement, the company said after reviewing Canada’s capacity, it decided the “fastest and most-effective option to ensure timely Canadian supply” of the vaccine was to rely on already established supply chains.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #3695
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From a global article.

Editor’s Note: The lawsuit by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation against PnuVax was voluntarily dismissed in May 2019 with no costs payable by either party.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #3696
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
What is there to credit?

Breaking news: Trudeau government doesn't entirely tell us where all of the 240$ billion is going, news at 11.

Again, what is there to credit? It's fluff. Typical soft gloves CBC approach when it directly involves the Trudeau government.

I was talking of the redacted documents from the WE scandal by the way and how the liberal media has handled the scandal (basically not at all until they were forced to acknowledge it).

I've stated my points pretty clear on the CBC's slant in prior posts including
a timeline of their WE reporting and how they are failing in their mandate. You can choose to ignore precedent if you wish.

Aren’t you late for your rally?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #3697
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dis...emic-1.5813509

Quote:
Canadian alcohol distillers who pivoted early to produce hand sanitizer to keep Canadians safe from COVID-19 are crying foul as their hopes of solving longer-term supply chain issues appear to have evaporated.
When the prime minister called on Canadian industry to retool to produce protective equipment in the early panic of the pandemic, dozens of distillers switched from making spirits to hand sanitizer.
At the time, it was scarce on store shelves.
So dozens of Canada's distillers scrambled to produce tens of thousands of litres for free. At the height of the shortage, about a dozen distilleries in B.C. alone were supplying hospitals, government offices and emergency workers all over the province.
As the months wore on, some distilleries began to charge to cover the cost of making the sanitizer, but many continued to donate thousands of litres to people and organizations in need, being careful not to profiteer in a time of crisis.
CBC News has learned that, during that time period, the federal government spent hundreds of millions of tax dollars procuring sanitizer from outside Canada.
Quote:
n total, more than $570 million worth of hand sanitizer has flowed into Canada from outside countries since March, according to Statistics Canada data.
Of that amount, Canada paid directly for at least $375 million's worth. BYD Canada Co., a China-based car maker with a few employees and offices in Canada, was paid $252 million for sanitizer manufactured in its retooled Chinese factories.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1336771420194549761

The jist is that even after the kidnapping of the two Michaels, Chinese Military members were invited to train at Canadian Forces bases for winter survival training, when the Canadian Forces complained about giving access to these military facilities by the Chinese Military, and the American's expressed concerns about it, Foreign Affairs attempted to over rule the military concerns. The CDS at the time Jonathon Vance cancelled the training.

The PM was upset about the cancellation of the training when it was cancelled by the Vance.

This information came from documents gained from a FOI request and a Public Servant released un redacted documents. The government begged The Globe not to release the story, as it could injure out relations with the American's and with our 5 eyes partners.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 12-09-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #3698
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
You can choose to ignore precedent if you wish.

Ignore precedent? What precedent? Have you been appointed to the Alberta Court of Appeal or something? Are your old posts legally binding on other posters?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #3699
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Justin being Justin. Seriously WTF!!

https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/canada...rcises-report/
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #3700
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Justin being Justin. Seriously WTF!!

https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/canada...rcises-report/
As far as I can tell, all allegations regarding "Justin's" role in the matter are sourced to Rebel News so... pretty much zero credibility.