Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO governments that are elected to make difficult decisions and if they want to make a political stand against China then do so with sanctions but don't take the easy out and screw over the athletes that dedicate their lives to competing in the Olympics.

I don't find this relevant, and I would almost hope that the Athletes would stay home and not participate in a massive propaganda event for China.

If they go, I won't watch it, as is my right, I won't cheer on Canadian athletes or hope they do well or win. Participating in an Olympics where the presiding government is slaughtering and enslaving a group of people, while holding Canadians hostage in horrible conditions, while oppressing Hong Kong, oh and running a concentrated espionage ring in Canada and stealing technology is wrong.

Sure apply sanctions, that should have happened a long time ago. But don't be weak, apply sanctions, don't go to the Olympics and find ways to help China's competitors in replacing Chinese products on our shelves.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #22
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

As much as I am a fan of the Olympics it is overblown. Sure its neat to have many athletes and sports together but the athletes themselves, they have world championships and world cups to prove best on best.

To boycott is not only pressure on China but also on the IOC for choosing such a place to host.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
As much as I am a fan of the Olympics it is overblown. Sure its neat to have many athletes and sports together but the athletes themselves, they have world championships and world cups to prove best on best.

To boycott is not only pressure on China but also on the IOC for choosing such a place to host.
How?

Again, this song and dance has been played out before.

It changed nothing.

Change has to come from internal strife within China.

65 countries boycotted the Moscow games and all that accomplished was retribution against the LA games.

The Olympics should be as free of politics as possible. It solves nothing by refusing to let athletes go.

If they have an option for the participants to opt out and those that cant stand to set foot in China agree, then great. All the power and support to them. Dont make it a blanket banning of an empty gesture though.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
How?

Again, this song and dance has been played out before.

It changed nothing.

Change has to come from internal strife within China.

65 countries boycotted the Moscow games and all that accomplished was retribution against the LA games.

The Olympics should be as free of politics as possible. It solves nothing by refusing to let athletes go.

If they have an option for the participants to opt out and those that cant stand to set foot in China agree, then great. All the power and support to them. Dont make it a blanket banning of an empty gesture though.

It would put pressure on the IOC and embarrass China who only bid on Olympics to show off. The Olympics is an extra sporting event, run by it's own organization.

All sports have already their own federations and their own championships. The Olympics really are a bonus event, made big by television. In some sports, in the Olympic years, that replaces the world championship but not all. Figure skating is the goofiest where the World Championship is 3 weeks after the Olympics, they just do the same routines.

Remember, the athletes are funded by the government, so the government has a say. Maybe the Olympics should just be hosted in Switzerland every year.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-10-2021 at 11:03 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Maybe the Olympics should just be hosted in Switzerland every year.
Or in Greece. In the nude. As it began.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Boycott.

The hosting country pumps themselves up, and spends as much time boasting about their culture and history as there are events. “Empty gesture” my ass, it’s a punch in the face. Is it going to solve anything? No. But it raises awareness and make a clear statement that your country is not okay with what is happening there.

“Oh but the poor athletes” is a sorry excuse.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote