Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #1941
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard Bearspaw cement belly up? Their 11 million clubhouse expansion had ballooned to 20 million?

Only played there once but I liked the track.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #1942
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've heard the Bearspaw thing too. I knew they were having big issues with the clubhouse, but I didn't think they were that bad.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #1943
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have not heard the belly up part yet. But did hear a sizeable cash call was being sent to the membership.

And yes, it sounds like the new clubhouse build has been a disaster right from the start.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #1944
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I heard Bearspaw cement belly up? Their 11 million clubhouse expansion had ballooned to 20 million?

Only played there once but I liked the track.
I expect the Highwood in High River to do the same. They have a nice expensive clubhouse with a huge mortgage they can no longer afford. Club went to town council looking for a 12 year break on their property taxes but was told they would help them in other areas if they could. I expect they'll hand the keys to Western Financial next spring
Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #1945
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Golf!!!2!

Time for my yearly plug....anyone out there interested the Myrtle Beach World Amatuer Handicap Championship?

PROS

- 3000+ players, all ages, all genders, all handicaps (even a gross flight for the scratches)

- Guaranteed 4 rounds, 19th Hole from 6-9pm with all drinks/food free, usually some daily skins games each of the rounds with some good money to be won (depends on who is running them for your flight, but ours usually pay out $300 to $1500 a skin $20/20/20/40 cost each day)

- Different course each of the 4 days, usually get an A, 2-B's and a C type course, however the C course usually is still pretty good, just so many nice course options in MB so some rate lower when compared. Most C's in MB are B. B+ up in Alberta.

- Flight winners play a 5th Championship round

- Decent swag bag (typically shirt, jacket, $25 pga superstore giftcard, towel, hat, nextbelt)

- Meet some great people and can make lifelong friends too

CONS

- Cost has risen over the years but early entry is $535 USD

- Flight options to MB from here on the west of Canada are limited and crappy. Westjet changed their seasonal direct flight from Toronto days to Thursdays and Sundays. Thursday's don't work well as that's round 4, and Sunday's don't give you much time for practice. Plus if you come in Sunday you will miss out on a fun event a bunch of us started last year (see below)

- They do a very strict job in enforcing Handicaps, however I put this as a con as it can be a tad frustrating to just be having a good couple days just to be adjusted. I've been adjusted once because I shot good on one day at a tough course and everybody else was crap. I shot a 76 on a 131 Slope course (Prestwick) and the two next closest were 80 and 84. Even though I was sitting like 30 something outta 48 in my flight they still adjusted me. Didn't effect me overall in the tournement as I wasn't winning my flight, I know that feeling of getting adjusted sucked.

- Slow rounds, there is two flights per course so about 90-100 golfers per course. Add in tournament rules and things can back up. It will be interesting this year to see how the new rules might change the pace though. I don't get bothered by 5-6 hour rounds so it doesn't effect me, just make sure to stock your bag full of beer and you are all set.

Now I'm pumping this year is because of the previous event. Last year we decided to try and put on a fun "Ryder/Presidents Cup" Saturday with everyone we've gotten to know over the last 5 years I've been going. We play 27 holes and will have 3 styles of team matches (tried singles last year for 9 of the holes and it wasn't as fun) Winner just gets bragging rights and the trophy our South African friend made for us. We play it for the laughs and the beers, but deep down we all want to win.

We had to take on some Americans on the World team last year, but this year we want to make it a true World v USA match this year. Currently we have 5 Canadians and 4 South Africans on the team. We can take as many as we need, but we would like to have a minimum of 12. The only cost for this pre-World Am event is the green fee ($60 for 27 holes last year). You will get a team outfit at no charge however we want a relaxed team, so no ragers, ultra competitors, #######s, etc.

This extra event takes place on Saturday Aug 24th. You would need to get into MB on the Friday in order to play. The World Am tournament runs Monday Aug 26 - Thursday
Aug 29 (flight winners on Friday Aug 30 for championship). We are taking an American Airlines flight from Friday to Saturday. We may have room for others in our hotel, but not sure yet. Lots of condos not on the beach can be rented for cheap. Let me know if anybody is going and you can be invited to our extra event, it is a great time!

https://myrtlebeachworldamateur.com/

PS...nothing in it for me if you sign up, just want to let more western golfers know about this event

PSS....here is a pic of last years Ryder Cup

Last edited by spetch; 03-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #1946
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Took a bunch of old wedges and hybrids into Golf Traders on the weekend and came away with $118 in store credit.
Also took my clubs in this week after seeing your post Dion. I was hoping for cash but at the same time my irons were > 10 years old and my driver > 5 years so I was half expecting them to not take them at all. I got $85 in store credit so picked up a 60° Ping glide wedge which I don't have anyway so I'm happy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #1947
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Time for my yearly plug....anyone out there interested the Myrtle Beach World Amatuer Handicap Championship?

CONS

The World Am tournament runs Monday Aug 26 - Thursday
Aug 29
Its too bad they don't do this in our offseason.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #1948
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Its too bad they don't do this in our offseason.

They do a March tournament just not nearly as big. End of August is the slow season for Myrtle so the started this tourney 30 some years ago to bring people down. Reading the history they even had car giveaways back in the day.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #1949
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
They do a March tournament just not nearly as big. End of August is the slow season for Myrtle so the started this tourney 30 some years ago to bring people down. Reading the history they even had car giveaways back in the day.
I have some friends that used to go there on New Years for a week or 2 and said they pretty much had the courses to themselves.

March would definitely be better than August for Canadians.

Looks like fun regardless
Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #1950
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass will be open April 5.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #1951
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Fox Hollow opening today on temp greens
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #1952
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

can always count on TPC Fox Hollow opening early.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #1953
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Devil opens on Thursday on regular greens.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #1954
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

GlenEagles opening on regular greens Thursday as well. They are the same ownership group as Blue Devil IIRC?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #1955
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
GlenEagles opening on regular greens Thursday as well. They are the same ownership group as Blue Devil IIRC?
Correct. They also own Heather Glen and Serenity.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #1956
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Just got the email about HeatherGlen opening on regular greens on Thursday as well
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #1957
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silverwing (Firefly and Mayfly) opening Friday on permanent greens.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #1958
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110976548918587392
Old 03-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #1959
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bridges of Claresholm will be opening on full greens on March 29th.

Tuesday's are 2 for 1 &
Wednesday's are Buck a Hole.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #1960
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Windmill bought Heritage Pointe. Hopefully they don't screw up one of Calgary's best courses...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow