Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
honestly though (and I can't believe I'm saying this). the legal system has to protect their prisoners from harm better. As much as its everyone's fantasy to see these scumbags burn or get beaten daily, I really like the idea of the system keeping them protected and healthy so that they can serve their sentence to the maximum.

The minute that we start condoning things like vigilantism in prisons, is the minute that we lose our way.

But I get where you're coming from Minnie.
Can you explain to me what's wrong with prison vigilantism? Seriously asking. I'm trying to understand. As far as i'm concerned i say line em up and shoot them but prison vigilantism's not bad.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #22
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I honestly have no issues in admitting that I hope these two get beaten in prison every single day for the remainder of their hopefully unbearable and miserable lives. They do not deserve any sort of third party protection.

Even the slightest thought of what that poor little girl had to endure makes my blood boil and stomach turn. Any "person" with the capability of performing such nasty and inhumane actions against a child (or anybody for that matter..) does not have the right to receive any resemblance of a privilege.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I have no idea how the heck someone can do that to their little daughter.

I can't even compute it.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #24
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep coming back to the 'my client is getting beaten up in prison waa waaa' and all I can think is 'you beat the life out of that child, you did horrible things to her, and then you tried to use it to get in good with what you thought was some crime boss because you think it made you 'tough' enough to be involved with a crime figure and all that entails - then you stfu and you take your damn lumps and beatings and stfu with the delicate flower business. A great big huge fffffffuuuuuuuuu very very much.

I think my completely irrational side is winning on this today.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #25
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I then you tried to use it to get in good with what you thought was some crime boss because you think it made you 'tough' enough to be involved with a crime figure and all that entails
I'm assuming this is how he was convicted...an undercover got him to fess up?

If so I'd like to read more about that if someone knows where I can find it?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #26
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

In severe cases like this isn't there the new law where a life sentance can mean 35 years instead of 25? Can someone clarify the rules behind that for me (and why it wasn't sentanced here?)
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #27
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Can you explain to me what's wrong with prison vigilantism? Seriously asking. I'm trying to understand. As far as i'm concerned i say line em up and shoot them but prison vigilantism's not bad.
Cause no matter how heinous a crime is or you think a person is, torture is wrong. A society should not lower itself to the worst in it's ranks. It accomplishes nothing, and probably effects it negatively.

I'd understand the death penalty in cases like this, though I disagree with it in the larger sense when talking about society and crime and punishment, but advocating torture is just messed up.

I wouldn't feel horrible if they got knocked around a bit, but, asking what's wrong with that? Weird.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #28
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

It says so much about the crime that was committed that criminals look down on you and believe you should be punished. Right or wrong, if he was beat everyday of his incarceration I'm not going to feel sorry him, not for a single second.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
When we sentence people to prison for a crime, no matter how heinous, there is never the whole

"I'm sentencing you to 20 years in jail, with daily beatings and possible rape"

Vigilantism is wrong its outside of the system of crime and punishment that we've developed, on top of that taking joy in the suffering of others, no matter how heinous the other person is, isn't justice, its sadism.

Hey look, I was one of those beat him up in prison, etc for a long time, and I don't know why my opinion has taken a 180, but to me what separates us from scum like these two, is that we as a society can't be sadistic about the punishment we give.

Should jails be horrible places, absolutely, I think that there has to be a deterrence factor based on how your punished, but to me that extends to bad but nutritiously correct food, no luxury items, really no T.V. or other thngs like that. I'd like to see an element of hard labor sentences bought back, but there also has to be a sincere attempt to rehabilitate, and beating the stuffing out of these two isn't going to do that.

Now, if the judge had sentenced them to 50 lashes and 25 years in jail, I wouldn't blink. If the judge had ordered their execution, I would probably be happy when they left this mortal coil. But its not up to the inmates to dispense punishment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #30
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
For me the problem is when they commit a crime that will see them eventually released.

For example, if somebody rapes an old lady and he's sentenced to 15 years, of course the illogical side of me wants him to get all sorts of hell handed to him every day. The logical side of me though only wants him to not rape anybody else when he gets out. Beating and raping somebody who has some preexisting damage isn't going to end well for society.

For this particular case, I'd just prefer the two in question are never released.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #31
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
In severe cases like this isn't there the new law where a life sentance can mean 35 years instead of 25? Can someone clarify the rules behind that for me (and why it wasn't sentanced here?)
Answered my own question when I read the new article today. They only got convicted of second degree murder, the punishment I was thinking about was for first degree murder convictions. I guess the judge could not rule that Meika was forcibly confined though she apparently really tried.

I find that a little weird. Yes, they had legal right to have her at the time, but I would think once the first abuse happens, that goes out the window. A young child may not have the knowledge or will to leave a deadly situation. Does that mean a parent in Canada cannot be convicted of first degree murder against one of their own?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #32
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Well, let's see. Are you in favor of crime? Prison vigilantism is a crime. People are such hypocrites about this type of stuff. (Although, this is a tough case to be posting this reply in the same thread as, but I just mean in general).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #33
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Cause no matter how heinous a crime is or you think a person is, torture is wrong. A society should not lower itself to the worst in it's ranks. It accomplishes nothing, and probably effects it negatively.

I'd understand the death penalty in cases like this, though I disagree with it in the larger sense when talking about society and crime and punishment, but advocating torture is just messed up.

I wouldn't feel horrible if they got knocked around a bit, but, asking what's wrong with that? Weird.
I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the anti vigilanteism. Even after reading the posts in this thread i just don't see it. How does it bring us down as a society? In my opinion, eye for an eye. Are we trying to correct their wrongs and make them into better people? An innocent person lost their life becuase of these two. If they realized what they did and lived with the guilt then maybe life in prison is enough. If not, would i go as far as torture, i hate to say it but i would consider it. At least it would make me feel that some justice was served. I'm trying to understand what you see.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #34
jayswin

Exp:

Good lord man, this is Canada in 2015 and you're asking what's wrong with eye for an eye justice and saying you would go so far as torture as it would make you feel like justice has been served?

Honestly that's all the garbage that happens in backwater, hellhole countries that millions try to leave for places like Canada. Civilized nations have spent centuries evolving away from what you want. I don't even have the words for your thoughts on prison/punishment. That's brutal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #35
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Rapists and child killers are not well liked within the prison population. The warden and the guards will do their best to protect them but I still expect they will suffer from some form of vigilante justice. Their life inside the prison walls will not be an easy one.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #36
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When we sentence people to prison for a crime, no matter how heinous, there is never the whole

"I'm sentencing you to 20 years in jail, with daily beatings and possible rape"

Vigilantism is wrong its outside of the system of crime and punishment that we've developed, on top of that taking joy in the suffering of others, no matter how heinous the other person is, isn't justice, its sadism.
I wouldn't take joy in their suffering but i would feel better knowing that some justice was served. If they truly understood what they did then maybe we could re evaluate the punishment.

Quote:
.... but to me what separates us from scum like these two, is that we as a society can't be sadistic about the punishment we give.
Why not? The punishment should fit the crime.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #37
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Why not? The punishment should fit the crime.
No it shouldn't, if it did the government would torture and kill them for what they did. Sounds like a great country to live in.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #38
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Good lord man, this is Canada in 2015 and you're asking what's wrong with eye for an eye justice and saying you would go so far as torture as it would make you feel like justice has been served?

Honestly that's all the garbage that happens in backwater, hellhole countries that millions try to leave for places like Canada. Civilized nations have spent centuries evolving away from what you want. I don't even have the words for your thoughts on prison/punishment. That's brutal.
I wish you would give reasons for your views not just "because it's 2015 and we're civilized".

If it happened to a family member of yours would you feel the same way?

If it makes me a bad person for trying to understand then so be it.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #39
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I wish you would give reasons for your views not just "because it's 2015 and we're civilized".

If it makes me a bad person for trying to understand then so be it.
What more reasons do you need? You want reasons for why our State doesn't torture and provide eye for an eye justice? You seriously want mw to provide more than Canada being a civilized country in 2015 for reasons, cause I think that about sums it up myself. I can't believe the things you're suggesting.

There's plenty of countries that offer what you want, but this time I'll stop short of suggesting you leave Canada for a 3rd world ****hole that happily caters to your revenge fantasies, because I got piled on for being an an unfair ***hole when I did that to another poster.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #40
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Trust me, I am all for punishment, and hard work for hard criminals. I just don't think having a prison system out of control is good for the staff. I really don't care about the prisoners, I care about those that work there.

With that said, I certainly don't think a gang of prisoners should be in charge of other offenders either, in particular just because they have more 'soldiers'.

Good behaviour in a prison should result in privileges. Makes life easier for everyone.

We (tax payers) make the rules, not the prisoners.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote