Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default How to Remove a Phrase from your Vocabulary

Quick story.

I organized a decently sized conference last spring. One of the keynote speakers I brought in did something interesting on our first phone call. The call was simply a "tell me more about the conference, what do you want from me, and how I can tailor what I have for you" from the speaker.

But he did something really interesting. The conversation started like this:

Me: How are you doing today?

Speaker: *half second pause* You know, I just left a presentation for (insert company name here), and now I'm on the train on this beautiful sunny day, I'm doing really well thanks.

Without ever speaking to, or meeting this guy before I instantly liked him. His answer was genuine, and it showed reflection of the good that is happening to him in that moment.

I've wanted to answer the standard, generic, "how are you" differently for oh almost a year now, yet I still catch myself giving the reflex answer "goodandyou?"

Ugh I hate "goodandyou" (said so fast and without thought that it's basically one word).

Just today I caught myself on three occasions just spewing this drivel. Even a fantastic or another word, heck an honest "exhausted and dehydrated" response would be better.

I've tried a Google search but I mostly get "stop using vocal fillers" or "don't use words like 'just' or 'but' when speaking".

I figured the CP Braintrust might have some insight.

I know this likely sounds stupid, but as a natural introvert I'd really like to add some authenticity to my generic small talk.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do the same thing, most people do. Maybe start really small, like trying to make a point of doing it just once every day for a week. Then build from there. I'm going to try this too!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then answer honestly and positively. Slow down, and take a second before you respond. The old "think before you speak" bit holds true here. You don't need to instantly answer. When you do something you consider good, keep that in mind. It can be something even as small as "I had a really good coffee this morning."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Quick story.

I organized a decently sized conference last spring. One of the keynote speakers I brought in did something interesting on our first phone call. The call was simply a "tell me more about the conference, what do you want from me, and how I can tailor what I have for you" from the speaker.

But he did something really interesting. The conversation started like this:

Me: How are you doing today?

Speaker: *half second pause* You know, I just left a presentation for (insert company name here), and now I'm on the train on this beautiful sunny day, I'm doing really well thanks.

Without ever speaking to, or meeting this guy before I instantly liked him. His answer was genuine, and it showed reflection of the good that is happening to him in that moment.

I've wanted to answer the standard, generic, "how are you" differently for oh almost a year now, yet I still catch myself giving the reflex answer "goodandyou?"

Ugh I hate "goodandyou" (said so fast and without thought that it's basically one word).

Just today I caught myself on three occasions just spewing this drivel. Even a fantastic or another word, heck an honest "exhausted and dehydrated" response would be better.

I've tried a Google search but I mostly get "stop using vocal fillers" or "don't use words like 'just' or 'but' when speaking".

I figured the CP Braintrust might have some insight.

I know this likely sounds stupid, but as a natural introvert I'd really like to add some authenticity to my generic small talk.
I bet writing this out has more effect than anything.

I really like this idea, I’m going to follow your lead here and start this tomorrow, by taking a moment and giving an honest in the moment answer instead of the typical deflection.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are initiating the phone call you could write down your response to the how are you doing question you want to give. I realize that this is almost the opposite of a spontaneous response but it would be a genuine response.

You could also put a sticky on your phone as well with some key phrase like how am I doing today so when you pick up you are ready for the question.

The only caveat I would say that you need to be positive. If the answer is pretty crappy you have to think if you have the right relationship to be sharing it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I should have mentioned, when someone asks me how I'm doing, the answer of "goodandyou" is a reflex. I don't know that I've said it until I already have.

Same thing happens when I'm shopping. "Can I help you?" Is always responded with "Just looking, thanks" even if I need help finding something.

It might be the introvert in me that trained myself to give the reflex answers to avoid the awkward over thinking. Thing is, I'm much more extroverted now than when I was younger so I don't need the reflex crutch responses. I just, don't know how to get rid of them haha.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When I ask someone " how's it going" and they reply with " it's going" I can't stand it. I didn't ask if it was going I asked how it is going
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read this thread and thought of this kids in the hall sketch.

Sometimes at work I will be explaining something to a client and I will say “we sort of....”, when in fact we did a certain procedure. I remind myself before every meeting to not say “sort of”

Last edited by Northendzone; 01-21-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How are you doing?

So far so good...but its still early.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Training yourself to be more mentally present in the moment will help.
A lot of these reactionary responses happen because the mind is part elsewhere and we're not really responding with present thought.
Even worse if you're looking at random crap on your phone when someone asked you the question.

I've found meditation helps control random thoughts and focus through them. Could help you be more aware of your responses and less reactive.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #11
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Every time someone asks me “How are you?” I reply “flawless “ it gets a positive response 99 times out of 100.

Not sure what it is about that word but try it and I promise you’ll be surprised

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Every time someone asks me “How are you?” I reply “flawless“ it gets a positive response 99 times out of 100.

Not sure what it is about that word but try it and I promise you’ll be surprised
"Exceptional" is also a good response. If you're good at reading eyes you get to find out which parts of you they deem exceptional.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #13
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you are looking for is active listening, which should really be called slow careful answering, I know how to do it and if I concentrate I can hear everything said to me and then consider my answer carefully, but most of the time I'm on auto pilot like everyone else, its the autopilot that you are not liking
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to pre-think conversations in my head and I'd do something similar. In sociology, it was called a social script. The worst one for me is always, "You too!" for me which is always awkward at movie theatres after the attendant says, "Enjoy the movie!". There's two ways to revise the reflex responses that worked for me.

1. Attempt to replace your phrases with something else that is similar. Once you've transitioned to something else, it's a little easier to slow down the response reflex when you decide on which words to use or or go a different response altogether.

ie:
Hi how are you?/Hey, what's up?/Hows the weather today?/Wassap?
Good and you?/I'm not doing too bad myself!/Hey, glad to hear it!/

One that always irked me was when someone says, "Perfect" to end a sentence. To me, it always felt like a poor fitting word that easily felt sarcastic in many situations. When I speak, I often force myself to say excellent or fantastic instead of the word perfect.

2. Negative/annoying reinforcement. This one requires help from someone like a friend or a spouse. Someone to be annoying when you reply in the "incorrect manner" and force you to start over again.

For instance, I had a prof who would repeat verbal pauses half a dozen times if someone spoke with a verbal pause in his class. He'd also make stupid faces, then tell us we're speaking gobbledy#### on words like umm, uh, like etc.

ie: Umm... -> umm? umm! umm... ummmmmmm...

Maybe if you have a friend practice with you every day and if you stumble, they just yell something that annoys you like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious twice and you have to restart the convo again. It might help you to think about the fact you want to avoid it, thus slowing yourself down before you reflex reply, "Good and you?"
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"Still alive" is my favorite answer.

I think just keep at it, if every time you give a canned answer you catch yourself eventually and remind yourself to try and give a more thoughtful answer, you'll remind yourself faster and faster and eventually remind yourself more and more before you reply. You're building a new mental pattern, it takes repetition.

I find enlisting others helps, when I've wanted to eliminate a word or phrase I usually mock myself using it in a group, then the next time I use it they'll usually do the mocking for me.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've been trying for a while now to eliminate "how are things at work" while in conversation. Talking about work - when not at work - is a very North American thing to do. I find your conversations can become a bit more light-hearted and easier when you're asking about weekends, holidays, hobbies, family, sports, etc. instead.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's hard, sometimes you're just walking by each other and there is no time other than 'goodandyou'. even the 'andyou' is too slow.

or else somebody has to stop which makes the other person awkwardly have to stop.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Several years ago I made a point to replace 'Good' with 'Excellent' -- subbing in longer words is a way to make yourself look more intelligent very easily. Stuff like "Good, bad, nice, fine" -- all basic words that are used a ton, but all words that a 3-year old can say too.

Of course, you need to stick to words that people still understand. If you become a walking thesaurus you'll have the opposite effect of just looking like a pretentious know-it-all.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've trained myself to Say "Happy New Year!" Every time I answer the phone. Depending on the time of year I get quite different reactions.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
How are you doing?

So far so good...but its still early.
Haha, I have a colleague who does pretty much this.

Me: "Hey Joe, how ya doin'?"

Him: "Well....it's too early to tell."

It's now gotten to the point where I start our pleasantries by saying:

"Hey Joe, when are you gonna know if your day is going well?"

It's created a bit more complexity in our day to day, but honestly, it has zero effect on either one of us other than we aren't complete zombies to each other. I think that's the most you can expect out of these thoughtful exchanges.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote