Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Tesla lays off 7% of their work force, difficult road ahead

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/busin...usk/index.html

Quote:
esla has announced plans to reduce its full-time workforce by 7% as it works to increase Model 3 production and cut prices.

CEO Elon Musk told workers about the job cuts Friday in a letter that Tesla posted online. The company will only retain the most critical temps and contractors, Musk said.

Musk wrote in the letter that Tesla is "up against massive, entrenched competitors" and must work "much harder than other manufacturers to survive while building affordable, sustainable products."

"To those departing, thank you for everything you have done to advance our mission," he said. "I am deeply grateful for your contributions to Tesla."

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't know much about the situation with regards to "entrenched competitors" but I can imagine Tesla's production-line issues of making people wait years for their cars is problematic at best.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they will be in for a world of hurt ones the big guys catch up. With companies like VW going all in, it is going to get harder for them to compete.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tesla is a house of cards IMO. Maybe it's finally starting to fall apart.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I have argued with friends for years now that Tesla is just the lab rat and companies are sitting in the weeds letting them go through the process before replicating and improving the idea.

If Musk truly doesn't care about the money and just wants to make the planet a healthier place then all the power to him. He has been a very large part of the EV movement but as a company, I just don't see it ending well.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can get all models in less than a month now. I test drove a model x and while it is well outside my price range, it sure felt like you were in a car that is 20 years ahead of what anyone else is making. It's not just that it's electric, but the R&D and software isn't going to be matched by anyone in years.

I'm shocked at how many I see on the road these days. I can't drive more than 5 minutes without passing one or two. They are starting to turn a profit too, so I think they'll a viable long term company or they could sell themselves off, I suppose.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Tesla lot in chinook was barren for the longest time, but they seem to have a lot of stock these days. I think Tesla has a pretty big head start on the competition and once the competition catches up, Tesla will still have a brand with a legacy of innovation behind it and lots of goodwill.

Young companies are bound to have ups and downs, and Elon's up to down ratio is spectacularly good for an entrepreneur, which typically see a lot more downs than ups. I don't see this as spelling out doom and gloom for the brand.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I think you can get all models in less than a month now. I test drove a model x and while it is well outside my price range, it sure felt like you were in a car that is 20 years ahead of what anyone else is making. It's not just that it's electric, but the R&D and software isn't going to be matched by anyone in years.

I'm shocked at how many I see on the road these days. I can't drive more than 5 minutes without passing one or two. They are starting to turn a profit too, so I think they'll a viable long term company or they could sell themselves off, I suppose.
Tesla could license this all to other EV manufacturers now that it has been somewhat proven in by the early adopters.

What's really needed is scaling up the infrastrucutre. You can't just have 1 or 2 stations between Calgary and Kelowna when you start imaging the number of EVs that will be on the road. The only way around that is to build up those places with entertainment and have valets to deal with the car charging. I wouldn't want to get to, say, Revelstoke and have 5 EVs in front of me waitin to be charged. That's a long wait.

The best would be for stations to have a fresh batteries that can be swapped in for depleted ones and recharged later to get people moving.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I have argued with friends for years now that Tesla is just the lab rat and companies are sitting in the weeds letting them go through the process before replicating and improving the idea.
This is what the Japanese have been doing for decades. Letting the Germans innovate and once the technology is perfected they then copy and implement into their own lineup.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they can continually turn a profit and continue to have R&D success it will take quite a bit of time for the other to catch up. In that case the struggle moves from trying to become an established business to one of trying to remain the market leader. I know a few people that have Tesla's now and they all agree it's the best car they have ever driven and it's not even close. It's more than just being a electric car I think.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't their cars pretty ####ty for the price though? Driver experience, attention to detail, quality, etc?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Tesla, other than their autopilot, is there isn't really anything unique. Electric motors and batteries aren't anything special. Any manufacturer can get to where Tesla is in 5 years if they commit to it. But they also have the global infrastructure, brand, workforce etc to blow Tesla away when they get there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
If they can continually turn a profit and continue to have R&D success it will take quite a bit of time for the other to catch up. In that case the struggle moves from trying to become an established business to one of trying to remain the market leader. I know a few people that have Tesla's now and they all agree it's the best car they have ever driven and it's not even close. It's more than just being a electric car I think.

Profitable?

They are heavily subsidized and don't make money

They are already winding down the subsidize.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/...uyers-in-2020/

Tesla should have focused on batteries and technology for the INDUSTRY and high end tesla's, instead of trying to compete on manufactoring lower end vehicles.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #15
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The thing with Tesla, other than their autopilot, is there isn't really anything unique. Electric motors and batteries aren't anything special. Any manufacturer can get to where Tesla is in 5 years if they commit to it. But they also have the global infrastructure, brand, workforce etc to blow Tesla away when they get there.
Don't underestimate distribution either. Those dealersihps are everywhere. Tesla is fighting an uphill battle.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Aren't their cars pretty ####ty for the price though? Driver experience, attention to detail, quality, etc?
I thought they were pretty highly regarded in all those areas.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I thought they were pretty highly regarded in all those areas.
They're hovering around Lada quality for fit and finish.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
This is the thing, not really.

You are correct that Tesla has been a Guinea Pig and doing so by getting hefty rebates and Government assistance, but whats likely going to happen is that businesses with most of the groundwork already laid are going to just come in and copy whats taken Tesla years to develop from scratch.

They have their market share, sure, but once those Government subsidies dry up, and its happening fast, they are going to be in trouble.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #19
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Profitable?

They are heavily subsidized and don't make money

They are already winding down the subsidize.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/...uyers-in-2020/

Tesla should have focused on batteries and technology for the INDUSTRY and high end tesla's, instead of trying to compete on manufactoring lower end vehicles.
But if they did that we probably wouldn’t be in the race we currently are for mass EV adoption. It’s like uber. Sure they are losing a ton of money but at least they triggered change to the broken system.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
They're hovering around Lada quality for fit and finish.
Isn't that mostly just applicable to the early model 3s? I though the other models were pretty solid?