Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #1281
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ He didn't do it consistently, but certainly more than he has the past 3 games so it was noticeable. It looked like someone ever so slightly reverting to old habits. Like I said, unsure if its cause for concern as he played so well the rest of the game but it was definitely noticeable.

As Resolute suggested, its likely the byproduct of having issues tracking the puck, and he did get a handle on it.

But it was there.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #1282
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Can anyone provide an example of a goaltender with Mike Smith's stat's that has won a Stanley cup in the last two decades? I'm curious.

Fuggettabout the last two decades...the league is going back to the 80s. The Islanders are a top team. The Flames are a top team. The Canadiens are a lowkey good team too, with a top goalie. The Oilers are also completing a dynasty.... of first overall lottery wins.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #1283
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Fuggettabout the last two decades...the league is going back to the 80s. The Islanders are a top team. The Flames are a top team. The Canadiens are a lowkey good team too, with a top goalie. The Oilers are also completing a dynasty.... of first overall lottery wins.
But seriously, scoring is up, so the last two decades becomes less relevant.

Holtby entered the POs last year with a .907 and having lost his clear number one status.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #1284
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That was the most I ever saw him help move the puck. One reason why the Flames had so much possession.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #1285
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But seriously, scoring is up, so the last two decades becomes less relevant.

Holtby entered the POs last year with a .907 and having lost his clear number one status.
I am not expecting Smith to pull a Holtby but there was also MAF, who posted a pretty abysmal 3.02 GAA in 2016-17 only to get super hot in the playoffs and carry the Penguins past the first two rounds, and then when he cooled off their real #1 Murray came in and gave them stability.

Goaltending is a crap shoot. They key is for it to be somewhat competent and cheap.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #1286
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few old habits (spending too much time on his face) against the Islanders, but his puck control ended that game before the Isles had much of a chance to get going.

With Smith in net, they have to maintain possession over the blueline and the Flames held that line really well. Matched with an aggressive Smith, you saw the Islanders shooting from low-chance areas all night. I'm sure he wants goal #1 back, and #2 was a goof all around - but he was a big difference maker against the Islanders last night. Neither goals were 'bad goals' against Smith, they just look much worse when you see the resulting SV% with how low he and his defence kept the shots against.

Win and your in is likely why we're not seeing Rittich, and I think we're seeing this employed now largely to give the crease a bit of a rest. Smith getting a rest from the world crashing in on him, and Rittich getting a rest from the world resting on his shoulders.

I don't think this means anything for the team going forward besides taking a breather and starting fresh. Mike Smith is showing he can help, and bring a frustrating dynamic to the game.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #1287
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That was the most I ever saw him help move the puck. One reason why the Flames had so much possession.
Toronto game early in the season. Babcock specifically cited it as a reason the Leafs lost.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1288
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trotts in the post game interview last night also called out how especially in the first half of the game that Smith shut down their forecheck.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #1289
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One thing that I thought was noticeable was Smith played the puck more quickly than usual. Him being aggressive playing the puck works best when he makes a quick decision. Every second he holds onto the puck an opposition player is (usually) closing on him or the player he wants to pass to. Longer he waits, the more his options become limited. And in situations where he wants to leave it for a Dman, he can’t because the opposition is right there.

Last night he was so quick on the pass. It allowed us to transition quickly.

Obviously looked quite a bit more comfortable making saves and rebounds were under more control too.

Makes me wonder if he has more confidence playing the puck because he’s doing better in net or vice versa. He obviously likes to be involved and I think plays better when he’s not constantly making bad passes for icing and holding the puck so long we give up a chance against.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #1290
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the answer to the question, why are the Flames going back to Smith when Rittich is playing well, should be answered now that Rittich has cooled off and Smith is playing better. Investing in Smith who is you best option behind Rittich is paying off now.

Is Smith the best goalie in the NHL now? No, is he better than he was? Absolutely, and what if he hits his stride going into the playoffs. It would be like trading for a #1 goalie without giving up anything other than suffering through a few losses early in the season.

Looking at the top 8 in the west, we are going to have to have one or both of our goalies, play above their level of play during the regular season. And to that end Rittich is going to have to get some starts as well.

Here’s hoping that we keep getting top notch tending from both
Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #1291
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith has taken a lot of crap this year on this board -- and in fairness, he was pretty bad for most of the year. But shoutout to him for seemingly figuring it out. He has looked great these last four to five games
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #1292
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to wonder if there is something building up to the trade deadline now with the Flames goaltending. It seems strange to me that Smith has 5 straight starts. Are they showcasing Smith for a move on Monday? Are they sitting Rittich so that he doesn't get hurt so they can trade him on Monday?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #1293
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have to wonder if there is something building up to the trade deadline now with the Flames goaltending. It seems strange to me that Smith has 5 straight starts. Are they showcasing Smith for a move on Monday? Are they sitting Rittich so that he doesn't get hurt so they can trade him on Monday?
Naaa just playing the hot hand
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #1294
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith has been playing the best of this season the last few games, still like him the most when his not wondering or on his pads for what is only seconds but feels like an eternity.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #1295
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been wondering if Rittich has a minor injury for the past few weeks. With Smith playing better of late, perhaps they have the luxury of waiting for Rittich to get back to 100%. Or, they are just riding the hot hand so to speak.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #1296
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith cost a goal again

But...... he played great tonight and he is slowly getting better every game

The only way is up
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #1297
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a good game for Smith. The only goal against was an unfortunate read on his part, but he has looked much better in the last few games.

Hope he keeps it up. I also hope Rittich draws in soon. Don't want him to be out for too long and get cold.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #1298
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta be the shoes, er skates!

keep it going!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #1299
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I just can't help but think that if you'd told me before the year that Smith would be 18-11-2 by late February, I'd be pretty damn happy.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #1300
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I honestly dislike and have always disliked watching mike smith play goal.

I do not think he is talented enough to win a series let alone a cup.

I’ve said since July that this team could be special but our goaltending will be our downfall.

Hopefully I eat crow on this but smith is dog#### and always will be. He’s a ####ing league average goalie all career and now we think he and rittich are the answer... #### that. Smith threw his teammates under the bus in November when he blamed team D for the goals against. He’s a sack of #### goalie whose last good playoffs was 7!!! Years ago
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote