Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #41
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
So I ended up putting in a Radon reduction system. I bought this monitor online:

http://www.amazon.ca/Corentium-224-D.../dp/B00H30TLPA

And tested for about a week and was getting results in the high 400's. After having the system installed I'm getting readings in the low 20's. Obviously that's a great reduction. For us, we decided that even if the risks to Radon were not conclusive, there didn't seem to be any downside (other than cost obviously) to removing the radon so out it went.
What Radon reduction system did you use?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #42
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the replies so far. May order the long term test kit. The meter seems nice though as you could pass it onto friends etc. In my research a place called radon west has a 'real estate test', which would make things more official when buying / selling property. But they are $350.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #43
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I bought one from Home Depot. It was around $20 and worked fine. Got a reading of around 100 which seems common
The home depot ones are not recommended. Their accuracy is questionable and even if it is somewhat accurate it's a short term test. Short term tests tell you what your radon levels are over a three day period, day four can be completely different.

Radon levels in your home change about as often as the weather does. You and your neighbor can have completely different levels.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #44
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Current Canadian Building codes require a Radon depressurization system installed under slabs in new homes.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #45
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
What Radon reduction system did you use?

Had radon west install a sub slab depressurization system (it's essentially a hole in the floor with piping to the outside, and a fan designed to run continuously.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #46
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Current Canadian Building codes require a Radon depressurization system installed under slabs in new homes.

Just to clarify, the current codes require a 'rough in'...which is not exactly a depressurization system. (Makes install of a system easier essentially.)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #47
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just to clarify, the current codes require a 'rough in'...which is not exactly a depressurization system. (Makes install of a system easier essentially.)
100% correct. I was going to edit my post, but let it go.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #48
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I bought the Corentium monitor, and I'm hovering around 200 in my basement after 2 months. I live very close to downtown Calgary.

I've noticed that it creeps to the 250-300 range if I don't do anything, but turning on the fan (basement washroom) most nights keeps it in the 150-200 range.

LChoy, could you ask your wife if periodically turning on the washroom fan is sufficient? I'm thinking about hooking it up to a clock so it turns on every night from 2:00 am - 5:00 am.

Will do
Old 03-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #49
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had my home done with the long term Radon West test. main floor over last winter (ie" most sealed up time of year) was 144 Bq/m3 - Well inside the acceptable range.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #50
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I bought the Corentium monitor, and I'm hovering around 200 in my basement after 2 months. I live very close to downtown Calgary.

I've noticed that it creeps to the 250-300 range if I don't do anything, but turning on the fan (basement washroom) most nights keeps it in the 150-200 range.

LChoy, could you ask your wife if periodically turning on the washroom fan is sufficient? I'm thinking about hooking it up to a clock so it turns on every night from 2:00 am - 5:00 am.
From wife (Ontario Lung Assc Radon Program):

Quote:
Basically more ventilation means lower levels since it dilutes the radon level inside. So definitely helps to have the fan running but it will just go back up when its turned off.
That's why the most effective way to lower radon levels is to install a radon mitigation system that is made up of a fan inside a pipe that runs 24/7 to keep air moving and keep levels low
Hope that helps

LChoy (+ Mrs LChoy)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #51
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
How long has this been the case?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #52
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Had radon west install a sub slab depressurization system (it's essentially a hole in the floor with piping to the outside, and a fan designed to run continuously.
Sorry to bombard with questions, but I'd love to know more about your experience with the install:

How destructive/disruptive was it to do? Was there much ripping up the floor & walls? How long did it take to install?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #53
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Since 2012 in BC
As noted by Ace above, it is the rough in of the system that is required.
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by blender; 03-30-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #54
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So we live in an older house built on top of a concrete slab, no basement or crawl space. Should we be concerned at all about this? We live in the Lynnwood area, up on the ridge from Ogden.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #55
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
So we live in an older house built on top of a concrete slab, no basement or crawl space. Should we be concerned at all about this? We live in the Lynnwood area, up on the ridge from Ogden.
fo shizzle
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #56
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How are you still alive!?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #57
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry to bombard with questions, but I'd love to know more about your experience with the install:

How destructive/disruptive was it to do? Was there much ripping up the floor & walls? How long did it take to install?
Ask for Colin and Radon West. The guy is meticulous and clean. The install took about 6 hours, and the main hole was cored through my existing sump pump location and then I bought a new sump pump cover (with a pre-formed access hole for the piping) from them (everything looks neat and tidy). For testing they drilled 1 hole 1/2" diameter at most - under my stairs (but sometimes they like to do 3 or 4 holes depending on your house). He put some fill in the hole and you can't even really tell. If your basement is finished they can often pull up a bit of carpet and you don't even know they drilled a hole.

My understanding is since most newer houses have a good amount of gravel under them, these systems are incredibly effective with minimal effort.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #58
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
In Alberta new homes that started construction after about Nov 2015 are subject to the rough in system.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #59
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if the lead and hydrocarbons in your soil protect you from radon?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #60
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

mmm... radon...
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote