Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #521
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Rumour that there will be 2 new LEGO Star Wars UCS sets in 2019... a new Corvette (1500 pc) and a new Imperial Star Destroyer (4500 pc).
Oooo, this I find interesting. I got my hands on the old Star Destroyer, and that thing has so much difficulty holding itself together and is so delicate that I've disassembled it. It's the only set I own that I do not have built and displayed, as it can fall apart from someone just glancing in its direction.

I look forward to a new/better one, built with the lessons LEGO has learned since then.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 01-02-2019 at 06:26 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #522
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Oooo, this I find interesting. I got my hands on the old Star Destroyer, and that thing has so much difficulty holding itself together and is so delicate that I've disassembled it. It's the only set I own that I do not have built and displayed, as it can fall apart from someone just glancing in its direction.

I look forward to a new/better one, built with the lessons LEGO has learned since then.
They really seem to improve on round 2 of the UCS sets. Newer Xwing and Ywing are both superior to the originals.

But at 4500 pieces I’m expecting to have to spend half a thousand dollars. Maybe more.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #523
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
They really seem to improve on round 2 of the UCS sets. Newer Xwing and Ywing are both superior to the originals.

But at 4500 pieces I’m expecting to have to spend half a thousand dollars. Maybe more.
Yup. The ISD was the first big 'ship' set that they did, and they learned a lot from it going forward. They've only improved the sets since. The SSD, for instance, is much, much better.

I don't mind that kind of price tag. I got my SSD when it was 'normal' price, in the store. IMO, it's worth it, given how much I enjoy building them. I do agree that it's likely to be in the $450-600 range.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #524
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lego has always been expensive, but it seems to me that Lego has really skyrocketed in price over the past year or so.

The overall value proposition just isn't there for me anymore and the $ per piece metric is getting skewed by Lego including a bunch of one- or two-stud flat pieces that have limited utility.

To me, Lego has lost its way....again.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #525
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely a rising trend the price of LEGO. Partially a result of the cost of licensing fees for certain properties (i.e. anything owned by Disney).

The good news is, you can find reasonable discounts (15-30% off) at Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Costco and Amazon. Amazon is pretty aggressive with their price matching these days. If you can be patient, you can usually get most sets on sale.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #526
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Built the Rollercoaster with the kids this holiday season. Really nice looking set and works well.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #527
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lego is expensive, but the problem is if you try any of the other copycat brands, you suddenly realize why you prefer paying a 25% premium on their products. The Canadian dollar isn't helping things either.

I was able to pick up some pretty good deals at Toys R Us that were better than the 10 cents/piece threshold that everyone likes to talk about.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #528
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will say the price has gone up. The new creator expert modular building (corner garage) is priced at $269.99. ouch. bought the last one for 50 bucks less (diner) last year and it has almost the same number of pieces at around 2500. Getting pricey for sure.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #529
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I picked up the Voltron set, both becuase of the nostaliga factor (I loved the cartoon) and I wanted to see how well they did "transforming LEGO". It was not a disappointing set at all. There's even some articulation in the Voltron combined part and the whole thing is pretty sturdy.

3 big pictures.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #530
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where do you guys like to buy your individual pieces? I've got a couple of Indiana Jones sets that I'm rebuilding with an eye to selling them, and I'm missing a couple of pieces that I don't have replacements for in my parts bin.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #531
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Where do you guys like to buy your individual pieces? I've got a couple of Indiana Jones sets that I'm rebuilding with an eye to selling them, and I'm missing a couple of pieces that I don't have replacements for in my parts bin.
Bricklink.com or you can check Pick A Brick on Lego’s site.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #532
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This looks great.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #533
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This looks great.

Yeah, being a Mustang fan, I plan on picking that up... <.< >.>
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #534
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished my latest build, the Mustang GT 1967. This was a really well done set, and I was really impressed with all the moving parts and how they make things work. The door hinges, for instance, were pretty neat. I also like how they set it up so you could change the stance of the rear axle. (spoiler for large image...and I need a new phone/camera)

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #535
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

question for you guys.
every so often I see bags of random lego at value village.
what's a fair price?
looks like they price about $8 a pound. I think that's pretty fair. you guys agree?

want to get more whenever I see it, as my daughter is now old enough to use "big girl" lego.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #536
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi GordonBlue. For me it depends on content. I'm willing to pay more per pound if there are minifigures or if it appears it contains complete or semi-complete sets. However, if it's just bricks, I'm more inclined to pay $5/pound. Definitely can find some good deals at Value Village and other thrift stores.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #537
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
Hi GordonBlue. For me it depends on content. I'm willing to pay more per pound if there are minifigures or if it appears it contains complete or semi-complete sets. However, if it's just bricks, I'm more inclined to pay $5/pound. Definitely can find some good deals at Value Village and other thrift stores.
thanks.
I see most posters here are collectors, but I just want to add some bulk for playtime with my little girl.
don't want to get ripped off too much if I see some on kijiji or where ever.

I did find out I have this set from around 1990. I had forgotten I owned it.
nice to have an old pirate set and not something Pirates of the Caribbean related.

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #538
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I received a few LEGO gifts over Christmas I finally got around to putting together:

Architecture Paris: I have been sceptical of this series wondering why I would ever want a mini version of a city but I'm glad I got to give this a try because the entire experience was enjoyable. From when you open the box, to reading the instructions, to performing the intricate build this set is very well done and looks great on display. I'm keen to get into more architecture sets. The London, San Fran, and Statue of Liberty ones look great.

Harry Potter Quidditch Match: This is a fun and colourful set that is a great addition to my LEGO city. Although the build is simple it is a good one to do with someone else as the towers can be done individually. You also get some great mini-figs and the device which allows the keeper to "fly" is pretty cool.

Technic BMW R 1200 GS: I forgot how challenging technic sets are. You definitely can't be distracted when building or you'll find yourself going back pages to fix mistakes. This was a fun challenge and looks great when done either on display or to play with. Also it looks like I can take this apart and it will also build a helicopter. Two sets in one sort of.

Spider-man bike rescue: A typical super hero set with a couple good guys, a baddie, a vehicle, and a prop. The mini-figs are the big draw here, getting Spider-man, Miles Morales and Carnage.

Also, they just opened a LEGO certified store in Sydney and they had the Saturn V rocket! I'm so stoked to put this one together.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #539
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
thanks.
I see most posters here are collectors, but I just want to add some bulk for playtime with my little girl.
don't want to get ripped off too much if I see some on kijiji or where ever.

I did find out I have this set from around 1990. I had forgotten I owned it.
nice to have an old pirate set and not something Pirates of the Caribbean related.

You just brought back so many memories from my early 90s childhood. The cannon shooting lego cylinders, the jail cell, the bridge. The weird palm tree trunk pieces.

Thank you for posting this!!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #540
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

That entire pirate line (and the lion-shield castle sets from the same years) are when I reeeally got into Lego. Then I got into M-Tron, Black-tron, Ice Planet, Space Police, and whatever else i'm forgetting and that was it, there was no emerging from our basement for hours, days, weeks at a time.

Kind of crazy to think that the the Black Sea Barracuda pirate ship was one of the mega-bucks sets out there at the time at $100-120. now its not uncommon at all to see our generation dropping $200, $300, $500 on a single set without a second thought, and with regularity
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules