Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #101
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little update to bump this thread. It's been just over a year since I started the thread and at that time, I had swum 40 lengths in 20:20.

I've been fairly regular with my twice-a-week swims, though I took some time off in the spring when I threw out my back, and then I took another 6 weeks or so off in the summer because, well, summer. About 3 months ago, I started trying to swim 3 times a week since I found myself getting up anyway to drive my daughter to early morning band/choir practices. I noticed a real improvement in my times and I started to consistently swim under 20 minutes for 40 lengths.

Today the pool was mostly empty, and I swam 19:30, almost 5 seconds off my PB. I guess my next goal is to go under 19 minutes.

Just discovered one of my friends used to be a big swimmer. He's in his 50s now, but when he was a teenager, he swam 2 hours a day and could do 30 lengths in 8 minutes. That sounds insane to me. But through the fall, we shared the pool with the local high school's swim club, and I was able to get a sense for how fast trained swimmers really are. Their stroke rate isn't twice as fast, but their speed is.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #102
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for bumping the thread. I ended up with 178km of swimming last year, not doing much from October on due to marathon training. Getting back into it again over the past 5 weeks or so, in preparation for training season to start. It's amazing how quickly you lose your speed after a few months off. Being old doesn't help. Going sub-19 on 1,000 is something I've yet to do, I've gone sub 30 in a 1,500 lake swim and 42 in a 2,200 lake swim. But then again I didn't go totally nuts and blow out on the swim, because there was a 90k bike and a half marathon to do afterwards.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote