Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the CRA going hard at people who are "incorporated" but only work for one company?

Or was that just talk from a couple years back?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It definitely was the talk a few years back, but that doesn't mean they aren't still doing it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #23
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great advice here. I'll only add that we review with our accountant yearly and continue to tweak based on the year we had, our goals and taxation changes.

I agree on the CPP comments. You need to live for quite awhile for it to pay off. If you die early, too bad for your beneficiaries.

On deducting a portion of your house, we all have to declare when we sell our principal residences now. Not sure if CRA is ready to flag it, but it might be coming.

Our accountant to start with was a really nice guy but gave us basically no practical advice. If you're in the same boat I suggest you jump ship immediately. Our current accountant gives good advice and it feels like he is an active participant in realizing our goals.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It definitely was the talk a few years back, but that doesn't mean they aren't still doing it.
The contractor test is well documented by precedent. They would have to change the test itself which to really shake things up. I don't see it happening. Look at the #### storm that occurred when they increased passive income taxes. Forcing a bunch of contractors to be employees would cause riots.

You are more likely to be caught if you are falsely claiming to be a contractor now though. Everyone wants to be a contractor to get away from the ridiculous employment tax rates. So they are cracking down on people but they haven't changed the test.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #25
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_hdk21 View Post
I do have an accountant but she has said "i can't tell you what to do only show you your options"

Your accountant should be directing you on these matters. That's why they are paid the big bucks for year end filing for your Inc.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
Your accountant should be directing you on these matters. That's why they are paid the big bucks for year end filing for your Inc.

YES! I made an appointment to come in and pointed this out to her .. I must have been confused, she gave me 3 different options she thought would work for me and wanted me to fully understand them before choosing .. my mistake i thought she wanted me to pick so when I go in on Thursday she will review with me and choose the option that works best for my situation.
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_hdk21 View Post
YES! I made an appointment to come in and pointed this out to her .. I must have been confused, she gave me 3 different options she thought would work for me and wanted me to fully understand them before choosing .. my mistake i thought she wanted me to pick so when I go in on Thursday she will review with me and choose the option that works best for my situation.
Its not a game of 3-card Monte.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote