Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is something I definitely need to work on. One of the things I catch myself doing a lot is responding to the question of "what did you get up to this weekend?" with "nothing much" or some other generic phrase. In reality, I did a number of things and while they might not have been stand out to me if I took the effort to expand on my answer a little bit that would probably make for some better small talk.

As for the question in your OP, when I get asked how my day is going I sometimes respond with "best day of my life." This is something I subconsciously picked up from a friend and it always leads to further discussion. I'll get asked if I am being serious or what exactly is making the day so great. I kind of enjoy saying that because it puts me in a positive frame of mind and also sets me up to think about what exactly is going on that day.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
it's hard, sometimes you're just walking by each other and there is no time other than 'goodandyou'. even the 'andyou' is too slow.

or else somebody has to stop which makes the other person awkwardly have to stop.
I just tell all my friends, colleagues, customers, and salesman that if I see you downtown its just a high five as we walk by. Ain't no one got time to say hello.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I've been trying for a while now to eliminate "how are things at work" while in conversation. Talking about work - when not at work - is a very North American thing to do. I find your conversations can become a bit more light-hearted and easier when you're asking about weekends, holidays, hobbies, family, sports, etc. instead.
I like this, I have a few friends and other acquaintances whos standard go to when we meet up is 'how was work?'. I'll respond with the standard 'okay..' and I'll get a 'just okay?' back. Yes, it was just okay... I've known you for over 10 years, have I ever had a 'good' day at work? no, never, but we're not at work now and it's better, do you want to start off our time together every time with a 30 min recap of how work sucks and I'd rather do pretty much anything else with my life but the money is pretty good which allows me to enjoy the rest of my life like hanging out with you right now so let's not waste it talking about work!

tldr; work sucks, I know
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
tldr; work sucks, I know
I find myself less interested in people's professional lives as I get older. Starting out as a young buck in tech I was always interested to hear about what people were doing, perhaps with a competitive instinct so that I may better myself.

Now, unless you changed careers or have a zany work story that is move material, I'm not that interested. I love chatting instead about family, ideas, community, etc.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #25
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I find myself less interested in people's professional lives as I get older. Starting out as a young buck in tech I was always interested to hear about what people were doing, perhaps with a competitive instinct so that I may better myself.

Now, unless you changed careers or have a zany work story that is move material, I'm not that interested. I love chatting instead about family, ideas, community, etc.
totally agree, I have actually distanced myself as well as most of my other friends from one particular guy who only talks about work. Just non-stop about work which the rest of us couldn't care less about. It seems like the only thing going on in his life.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #26
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the work discussion - I am not at all interested in that, unless you do something super cool, like being an astronaut haha. I'll talk about anything else happening in this world.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

At my previous job, when we had department update meetings, everyone was banned from starting their update with "We've been busy."

"Mark, tell us what the Sales department has been up to."

"We've been busy." "Keeping busy."

Everyone is busy so stop wasting time.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try to think of it in terms of engaging people.
Even the cashier at the grocery store.
If I interact with the premise that he/she is someone I am interested in getting to know, my response is far different than if I am not engaged in the dialogue.
We have an opportunity to be a positive blip in the day of each person we interact with. I enjoy being that.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #29
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I actually like this. I always give the bs generic answer. When I was younger (25ish years ago) I'd say "####ty" just to see what people would do. Most got really uncomfortable, like they just wanted the generic answer and I through a curveball they didn't expect. This tells me they don't really give a damn if you are good or not. Nobody ever asked what was going on or if I was ok, they'd just walk away.

Anyways, I think it's time I put some mindfulness into my speak, but at my age, I think a shock collar might be the most effective way to get me to change.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #30
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I try to think of it in terms of engaging people.
Even the cashier at the grocery store.
If I interact with the premise that he/she is someone I am interested in getting to know, my response is far different than if I am not engaged in the dialogue.
We have an opportunity to be a positive blip in the day of each person we interact with. I enjoy being that.
I'll frequently say something like: 'How's your shift going?' or 'Store been busy today' just as a means of recognizing them and the work that they do.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Phrases I wish everyone would remove from their vocabulary:

Workin hard or hardly workin??

Safety meeting? Nobody moves nobody gets hurt?

(How's it going?)

Livin the dream!!

Another day in paradise!!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #32
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ask your friends and close co-workers to point out every time you do it. I did that with the R-word. It still slips out but I've nearly removed it entirely from my vocabulary.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
I'll frequently say something like: 'How's your shift going?' or 'Store been busy today' just as a means of recognizing them and the work that they do.
Exactly this ^
It doesn't take a lot of thought or effort to acknowledge something/someone like that, and it may perhaps be a small positive in their day.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #34
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obligatory (NSFW - Language):

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I should start saying, "What are your plans to take over the world?" as a generic greeting.

Kinda like, "Buddy the elf, what your favourite color?" kind of disarming opener.

But I like this idea. More ways to start moving away from mundane and pointless opening banter.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at am IT conference checking out the booths in the vendor hall. One particular booth had a network rack setup with a few pieces of network switches and a UPS. The rep for that particular company didn't say "How's it going today?" She opened with "Nice rack, hey?". I agreed and commented how it is nicely organized compared to our own network closets. Then she laughed and said she just realized what she said and then we both laughed once I realized how clueless I was. It was a great opening though and we talked about what her company does and it opened up a business relationship. We wound up using her company a couple of months later.

The next day I heard her use the same line as I was passing by again. Either it was planned or she thought it was funny enough to try again. The other guy was just as oblivious as I was.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #37
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I was at am IT conference checking out the booths in the vendor hall. One particular booth had a network rack setup with a few pieces of network switches and a UPS. The rep for that particular company didn't say "How's it going today?" She opened with "Nice rack, hey?". I agreed and commented how it is nicely organized compared to our own network closets. Then she laughed and said she just realized what she said and then we both laughed once I realized how clueless I was. It was a great opening though and we talked about what her company does and it opened up a business relationship. We wound up using her company a couple of months later.

The next day I heard her use the same line as I was passing by again. Either it was planned or she thought it was funny enough to try again. The other guy was just as oblivious as I was.
It's cute that you thought that was spontaneous. Girls are much smarter and craftier than we give them credit for. They can pull that kind of stuff off and make it seem genuine. If I tried that it would be obvious that it was a line and not some accidental double entendre.

She knows what she's doing. She's presenting at the conference for a reason.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #38
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Livin the dream!!
I had someone say to me, “Living the dream. Working the nightmare.” If this ever catches on I expect the murder rate to skyrocket.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So because of this thread I totally froze when answering the phone today and someone said how are you doing. My brain stumbled between generic greeting and thinking about what to say. I ended up just asking the question I called about. Total brain freeze.

But I was totally unaware how autopilot I was through the first 5 min of a conversation.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: