Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mad Men Season 5 Discussion Thread

I know there are some huge Mad Men fans here, but last season's thread was pretty awful. I thought I would start a thread for this season in hopes of some decent Mad Men discussion.

Last night's premiere was very solid as always. The show never misses a beat. Love the scenes, albeit very few(only 2) with Betty and Don. I love the newly separated dynamic, makes for some great awkwardness and great drama as well.

Don going nuts on the two piece swimsuit people was awesome as well. We could see another side of Don Draper this season, looking forward to it. Roger Sterling was also very solid last night as well.

I wanna be Don Draper.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 03-22-2012 at 05:27 PM.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good episode - I enjoyed it. Probably helped that we downloaded and watched the first 3 seasons just a little while ago. I was really hoping Betty would disappear from the show...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it really odd that I find her hotter when she's wearing old school dresses from the 60's. I like the Betty character, she doesn't get the credit that she deserves. It would take quite the woman to stand up to a guy like Don Draper. She pulled it off.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 07-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like when he yells at the prudish swim suit people to get out of their office.

The new office will take a bit of getting used to.

Surprised Don is fulfulling his 'needs' with a prostitute. Him liking to be slapped was a bit of a surprise insight into who he is as well.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Put me down in the column of 'Not wanting to be Don Draper.'

I love the show, but for all his admirable stoicism, he is really just a coward.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Put me down in the column of 'Not wanting to be Don Draper.'

I love the show, but for all his admirable stoicism, he is really just a coward.
What makes him a coward?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
What makes him a coward?
Everything we've been told about him, from his origin, to his time in Korea to how he became "Donald Draper".

The guy is ashamed of who he really is, took the easy way out of Korea (which I probably would have), after they insinuated that the reason he was even in Korea was because he was trying to escape something.

When Pete finds out who he is, it's not only his first instinct to run, it is his initial plan of action. Only when forced to face the music does he do it, but he is largely without option after previously attempting to run away from anything and everything.

He lies, cheats, and washes it all down as a functioning alcoholic who deflects criticism onto others and generally acts like an to most people in his life. His one saving grace is ultimately the root of his cowardice; his shame.

The shame he feels in regards to his childhood gives you the moments where he is a tender and nurturing father, but I don't think many people would mistake him for a 'great' father. His shame also seems to be the source of his stoic approach to a classic sense of decorum, formality and custom, his humbling charm and his creative yearning for aesthetic idyllic ism.

The only campaigns they seem to focus on in the show are ones where Don constructs some picturesque, deeply personal narrative, but it is really all a sham for advertising. His personal life reflects his professional life in this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe it was just because I re watched last years season finale right before it (and that was a 10/10 episode) but I was kind of dissapointed in the premiere
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed last season (just got bored with the show after the aesthetic appeal wore off), but it was a pretty good opener. I must've missed a lot, but I'm surprised how edgy and modern the bikini ad was in comparison to the fuddy duddy stuff (at least in terms of visuals) they were doing in the first season.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recorded it and watched last night. I really enjoyed it, felt like they took you right out of the comfort zone of the last 3 seasons with all the new sets and locations. I almost felt a little lost but as the episode progressed I got right back into my Mad Men groove. Loved the ending and all of Roger's lines as usual.

Edit: This belongs in this thread:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Everything we've been told about him, from his origin, to his time in Korea to how he became "Donald Draper".

The guy is ashamed of who he really is, took the easy way out of Korea (which I probably would have), after they insinuated that the reason he was even in Korea was because he was trying to escape something.

When Pete finds out who he is, it's not only his first instinct to run, it is his initial plan of action. Only when forced to face the music does he do it, but he is largely without option after previously attempting to run away from anything and everything.

He lies, cheats, and washes it all down as a functioning alcoholic who deflects criticism onto others and generally acts like an to most people in his life. His one saving grace is ultimately the root of his cowardice; his shame.

The shame he feels in regards to his childhood gives you the moments where he is a tender and nurturing father, but I don't think many people would mistake him for a 'great' father. His shame also seems to be the source of his stoic approach to a classic sense of decorum, formality and custom, his humbling charm and his creative yearning for aesthetic idyllic ism.

The only campaigns they seem to focus on in the show are ones where Don constructs some picturesque, deeply personal narrative, but it is really all a sham for advertising. His personal life reflects his professional life in this way.
He's a deeply flawed and tragic character. The beauty of the show is that the viewer can relate to some of his faults (ie. wanting to run) and how he always seems to be so close to becoming a real person. Even though we know it's never going to happen, we're always cheering him on because it seems like deep down their's a heart in that shell.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Favourite line of the episode, possibly the best line on tv this year: "I could charge them to my expense account if I said they were whores."
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i feel like I killed this thread with my Don Draper post.

If I did, my apologies.

ANother great episode on Sunday. Don, such a jerk.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't watched last nights episode yet. Can't wait.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another solid episode. Wanted to punch the Lucky Strike guy for what he was doing to Sterling.

I love the character of Peggy. So mysterious, you never truly know what's going thru her head.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lee Garner Jr. has a bit of a crush on Roger

he got Sal fired for turning down his advances last season, only Don knows that though
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
i feel like I killed this thread with my Don Draper post.

If I did, my apologies.

ANother great episode on Sunday. Don, such a jerk.
Awesome analysis of the Donald Draper/Dick character. The more I think about it, the show might as well be called "Don, such a jerk" or "Don the coward." Such a great show, such a great ensemble of characters- each one is so flawed, deep, and intriguing. /gush
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What about 'Don Don-Don-Don Donnnnnn...' (wife's suggestion).
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Great episode last night . . . . . a portrait of a very successful executive perhaps discovering that all the success and booze in the world can't cover up the core in all of us, that family, friends and a sense of place in the world is more important.

Yet, at the end, he sees these two old people in the corridor . . . . "Did you get the peaches? Did you get the peaches?" Is he wondering if that's his future or is it instead the cold, empty apartment he's entering? Are those his choices?

Great arm by his secretary. That was a bullet.

Cowperson
Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Great episode last night . . . . . a portrait of a very successful executive perhaps discovering that all the success and booze in the world can't cover up the core in all of us, that family, friends and a sense of place in the world is more important.

Yet, at the end, he sees these two old people in the corridor . . . . "Did you get the pears? Did you get the pears?" Is he wondering if that's his future or is it instead the cold, empty apartment he's entering? Are those his choices?

Great arm by his secretary. That was a bullet.

Cowperson
fyp. I thought it was a superb episode too, on all fronts...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betty's hot , joan is amazing