Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #361
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I put it on my pull list. The premise sounds great. Now that we get to see his bat-junk I'm more intrigued.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #362
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is as good a time as any to bump this - DC Comics are now available on Comixology Unlimited. Unfortunately, Comixology Unlimited is still a USA only service. But my understanding is that the DC selections will also be available on Kindle Unlimited which is available in Canada for $9.99/month.

Lots of best of 2018 lists have come out of course. Titles commonly mentioned include X-Men: Red, The Immortal Hulk, Black Panther, Runaways, Miracle Man, Superman/Action Comics, The Snagglepuss Chronicles, Monstress, My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies, Nancy, and My Boyfriend is a Bear.

The ongoing X-Men shenanigans leading into the Age of X-Man event have been bananas, and the event looks to be very much like Age of Apocalypse from back in the 90s.

Other upcoming releases I'm looking forward to are the new Captain Marvel series (launches tomorrow), The Avant-Guards, The Magnificent Ms. Marvel (we'll miss you always G Willow Wilson), Punk Mambo, Assassin Nation, and of course the relaunch of my favorite series Lazarus under the new title of Lazarus: Risen. Ongoings I continue to enjoy include Immortal Hulk, West Coast Avengers, Unstoppable Wasp, Die, Curse Words, and Crowded.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #363
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Went on a bit of a buying binge. I think playing Spider-Man on ps4 triggered something.

Picked up Marvel Knights collections. Spidey by Mark Millar, Black Panther by Christopher Priest and Black Widow by Rucka/Grayson.

Then I bought ASM Spiderverse, SpiderGwen, Return of the Sinister Six and some random one filled with Carnage stories (but not maximum carnage).

And Last Son of Krypton because I just reread Red Son and wanted another superman story.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #364
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a long time since this was bumped, but there are some more developments on subscription services I thought I would share.

The DC Universe service that launched a couple of years ago is adding to its comic content in a very big way, adding thousands of comics (reportedly as many as 20,000) to the service. When DC Universe launched, the comics content was going to be a limited, curated selection of DC's biggest hits and best acclaimed series. Now it seems the publisher has gone to an approach more similar to the existing Marvel Unlimited service.

A couple of caveats: 1) The wait for new releases to be added to DC Universe will be 12 months (it's 6 months on MU), and 2) The DC Universe service is still a USA only service. Getting it available in more regions will be more complicated than it was for MU (a comics only service) since TV shows and movies are also on DC Universe. It might take Disney+ coming to Canada or anywhere else outside the USA before WB/DC gets moving on making DC Universe a more global service.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #365
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another bump to discuss some announcements I'm excited about and some that I'm sad about.

Writer Jonathan Hickman is returning to Marvel and is taking stewardship of the X-Men line. All of the current ongoing books and stories will be wrapped up before Hickman's work launches this summer. There are two 6 issue minis he is writing launching this summer, each being published every other week. Meaning he's got a 12 issue, 3 month story coming out before we see what launches out of his story.

The two books are called House of X and Powers of X (read Powers of Ten, X as a Roman numeral), and there has been a lot of art previews and teasers released - understandably, information about the story itself has been kept under wraps.

Large image behind tags
Spoiler!

Over at DC, writer Tom King's run on Batman has been cut short for reasons that aren't entirely clear to anyone from the outside looking in. The few details out there are summarized here.

And I'm kind of shook at the quick succession of announcements about series that I adore for their positivity that are ending soon.
  • Writer Jeremy Whitley announced that his second volume of The Unstoppable Wasp is ending with issue #10 in this Twitter thread.
  • The series Giant Days, a brilliant slice of life book about friends at University, is coming to an end with issue #55 as detailed here.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #366
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So disapointing, I have loved King's run. He tweeted out something that he needed permission from WB for a story that would change Batman forever, I wonder what it was? I know fans have been upset over his wedding story and sales have been declining but it's still a top 5 selling comic every month.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #367
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The story about his pitch that would "change Batman forever" came out 9 days before his run was cut short. Seems like someone somewhere in the DC/WB/AT&T chain of command had a change of heart. But who knows for sure?

Old 05-25-2019, 01:29 AM   #368
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update: King is writing a 12 issue Batman & Catwoman series starting in 2020.
Quote:
"It’s tough to leave Batman," added King. "It’s a gift and a joy to be on that book. But I’m leaving it to work on the biggest, most ambitious projects of my career, comics I get to make with the best collaborators in comics. And that’s a gift and a joy too."

King describes his Batman/Catwoman book as an "ambitious, accessible, beautiful, thrilling" series that will conlude his "years of stories."
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #369
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Update: King is writing a 12 issue Batman & Catwoman series starting in 2020.
This is great news, i really liked the way King portrays Batman. I still prefer Snyder's run but this run is also fantastic.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #370
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also sounds like this may have been a compromise to do with DC ending double shipping of all titles coming up.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1132286021943435264
Old 05-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #371
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It also sounds like this may have been a compromise to do with DC ending double shipping of all titles coming up.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1132286021943435264
It's the right move. My pull list shrunk because of the twice monthly shipping I had to cut out some titles, I will probably re-add Flash , Batgirl and Suicide Squad back into my rotation.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #372
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hey, The Walking Dead came to a surprise ending this week in a way that was hidden from retailers and fans until the issue dropped. Story spoilers in the link.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #373
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm thinking of taking my son to Phoenix comics. He's 9 and he loves the avengers, spiderman, batman. Is there a series that could be suitable that someone could recommend that would be suitable for him?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #374
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I'm thinking of taking my son to Phoenix comics. He's 9 and he loves the avengers, spiderman, batman. Is there a series that could be suitable that someone could recommend that would be suitable for him?
I cant be of help, but Phoenix Comics is like....a candy store but better than candy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #375
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Which Phoenix comics? I'm pretty sure one of the owners posts on here but his user name is lost to me now.

Are you looking at single issues for him or trades with 5-6 issues in each?

My kids are around the same age.

If he likes Batman, the Batman Adventures are fantastic. They're based on stories from the 90s Animated Series so they're kid and adult friendly. It's concluded now but there are 4-5 trades he could start on.

Spidey is a great comic for younger readers. It's all the fun of Spider-man without some of the heavier storylines. Great art as well.

The Marvel Adventures series are good too for younger readers. There's Avengers, Spider-man, Iron Man, etc.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #376
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to recommend Shazam, very fun read and lots of cool art and kid friendly. As well, Teen Titans Go is a great book!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #377
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Phoenix comics that is on 17th ave sw. We have one Spidey, and he's read it probably 40 times. Thanks for the recommendations. I loved Shazam as a kid too, so I will have to find some.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #378
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Phoenix comics that is on 17th ave sw. We have one Spidey, and he's read it probably 40 times. Thanks for the recommendations. I loved Shazam as a kid too, so I will have to find some.
Luckily there has only been 6 issues in the latest run so it shouldn't be too hard to catch up! I hope your son enjoys it!!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #379
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is a new series that might also be a good choice for your son.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #380
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horror legend John Carpenter is going to write a special Joker issue for DC's year of the villain crossover.