Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 07:34 AM   #301
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. It would be an interesting situation for sure. Ultimately you know he’d be here for one season or so but the buzz would surpass Kawhi, no doubt. It would decimate the team thereafter but it would be fun seeing him and Scotty play together. Also it would be a shame Siakam was dealt if they were able to land Lebron, because he would be a great third option. Anyway, my dreaming has gone too far.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:50 AM   #302
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like LA is ready to draft Bronny to keep LeBron.

Kind of a waste, as LA needs to restock younger talent and Bronny just isn't that good.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:53 AM   #303
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That was something, the last three minutes of the Nuggets win had no timeouts. The timeouts do create some drama but it was cool just to see the back and forth with no interruption.
I will never understand why North American sports require timeouts. Are the players too dumb to figure out what to do without a coach telling them 2 feet from their faces? Why can soccer players take important corner kicks or free kicks without a coach gathering everyone around like their children and drawing up a play for them at the end of the game?

Obviously time outs are going nowhere because of TV commercials. I just dont understand why they ever existed.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:57 AM   #304
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I will never understand why North American sports require timeouts. Are the players too dumb to figure out what to do without a coach telling them 2 feet from their faces? Why can soccer players take important corner kicks or free kicks without a coach gathering everyone around like their children and drawing up a play for them at the end of the game?

Obviously time outs are going nowhere because of TV commercials. I just dont understand why they ever existed.
Probably not a good comparison.

In Soccer it essentially is a time out as the play if frozen, and you have coaches yelling out instructions from the sidelines and guys are moving all over the place to get set.

Its the same in basketball or football. Basketball it's also used to stop momentum if teams go on a run, so not always about drawing up plays either.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:53 AM   #305
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

Way too many timeouts in the NBA and now the challenges...
Old 04-30-2024, 10:54 AM   #306
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Sounds like LA is ready to draft Bronny to keep LeBron.

Kind of a waste, as LA needs to restock younger talent and Bronny just isn't that good.
I don't disagree but drafting Bronny ensures you keep Lebron, even at 40 is still one of the best players in the league and then you hope Bronny is decent...
Old 04-30-2024, 11:00 AM   #307
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Probably not a good comparison.

In Soccer it essentially is a time out as the play if frozen, and you have coaches yelling out instructions from the sidelines and guys are moving all over the place to get set.

Its the same in basketball or football. Basketball it's also used to stop momentum if teams go on a run, so not always about drawing up plays either.
A field is so big that players rarely hear a coach. My point is that soccer players seem to deal just fine with being able to think on their own without the micromanaging.

I agree timeouts are used in N.A to stop momentum. It's ridiculous to legitimately stop fans' entertainment for that reason.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:02 AM   #308
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Way too many timeouts in the NBA and now the challenges...
I can't go to a pro football, hockey or basketball game as the constant stoppages in play make me bored out of my mind.

I'm fine with watching it on tv when I can get up and do other things at the same time.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:05 PM   #309
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
I don't disagree but drafting Bronny ensures you keep Lebron, even at 40 is still one of the best players in the league and then you hope Bronny is decent...
Also, you're probably not going to get anything game changing at 55th overall. The biggest risk might be another team just taking a flyer in the second round and seeing what happens
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:36 PM   #310
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already had the Sixers blow a 5 point lead with 25 seconds left, now the Knicks have blown a 6 point lead with 25 seconds left. Still OT to save themselves.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:10 PM   #311
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

LeMe started his routine of creating fake drama around himself about retirement.

All about him.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:10 AM   #312
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LeMe started his routine of creating fake drama around himself about retirement.

All about him.
US media and even this thread were having lots of discussion about where he might play, if he goes where Bronny gets drafted, and even his potential retirement.

I don't see how him sending out a tweet is him creating fake drama about himself.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:13 AM   #313
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Already had the Sixers blow a 5 point lead with 25 seconds left, now the Knicks have blown a 6 point lead with 25 seconds left. Still OT to save themselves.
Also blew a 5-point lead in OT. Embiid looks gassed (at best and injured at worst), though. Can't see the Sixers coming all the way back to win this series.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #314
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
US media and even this thread were having lots of discussion about where he might play, if he goes where Bronny gets drafted, and even his potential retirement.

I don't see how him sending out a tweet is him creating fake drama about himself.
He did this last year after the Nuggets swept em.

Did it again. Ran off the court as well.

We all know he isn’t retiring. He already talked about a retirement tour.

This is his way to keep attention on him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:07 AM   #315
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all for slagging off LeBron, but it's the NBA media that is a bigger problem than he is. Now naturally he feeds into it, because of course he does, but it's not really his fault that the bait/troll sports shows will always use him because he's such a lightning rod. That said, this is also why the NBA's future is kind of bleak in terms of fan interest, we have three teams from the same division, two of them young up and comers and one potential dynasty, in the WC Semi's, and there's no discussing it by those bait/troll guys. League should be looking to minimize those guys every chance they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Also blew a 5-point lead in OT. Embiid looks gassed (at best and injured at worst), though. Can't see the Sixers coming all the way back to win this series.
It's bizarrely fascinating what the Sixers even do. The deeper they go in the playoffs, the more the odds Embiid suffers a catastrophic injury that effectively ends next season for them. I'd honestly be sitting him for one reason: so he doesn't get hurt now so you can trade him in the offseason. Embiid's 30's are going to be rough with injuries, cash out now while his value is still close to max and build around Maxey.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:15 AM   #316
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he'll retire any time soon unless his game diminishes significantly. I'm not a Lebron fan but the talent is there - and so is the attention seeking drama. It's not in his personality to retire peacefully. He loves money.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #317
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I don't think he'll retire any time soon unless his game diminishes significantly. I'm not a Lebron fan but the talent is there - and so is the attention seeking drama. It's not in his personality to retire peacefully. He loves money.
and attention, as mentioned earlier in the thread
Old 05-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #318
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

How soft is Anthony Davis?

The Lakers team is probably better off if they kept all those young players today. Typical LeBron getting his way and having young players traded for immediate help, and whining he has no help.

I wonder if the super team era is coming to an end now, and teams realize they need some depth as well.

People always talk about the Warriors as a super team, but never talk about how that core group was all drafted. The only guy they signed was Igoudala. They made a smart move to preserve cap room when the cap was going up to go after Durant. Any team with that type of talent, and the ability to add that type of player would be foolish not to do what they did.

The Clippers have been a disaster since they formed as well.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:42 AM   #319
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the super team philosophy is really dying off. There are a few in the NBA currently, all of which are failing miserably. The Clippers are the only team that may advance to the second round, where surely they will be taken out by the Thunder. The Nuggets and Warriors (the non-Durant teams) have proven you can win without bringing in mercenaries from other teams to win Championships. Hopefully other teams follow this model, and gain success because of it. Yet we're already hearing about Trae Young's name to the Lakers.

I do wonder when LeBron does retire who will take over the mantle as the "face of the game". Obviously they're building up Wembanyama to be that player, but can a softspoken Frenchman in a smaller market headline the league?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #320
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Yeah the super team philosophy is really dying off. There are a few in the NBA currently, all of which are failing miserably. The Clippers are the only team that may advance to the second round, where surely they will be taken out by the Thunder. The Nuggets and Warriors (the non-Durant teams) have proven you can win without bringing in mercenaries from other teams to win Championships. Hopefully other teams follow this model, and gain success because of it. Yet we're already hearing about Trae Young's name to the Lakers.

I do wonder when LeBron does retire who will take over the mantle as the "face of the game". Obviously they're building up Wembanyama to be that player, but can a softspoken Frenchman in a smaller market headline the league?

Good point. I don't think it'll be Victor, because the NBA loves guys with bravado and attitude. Giannis had his cup of tea briefly, but didn't really life himself up as that face of the game. Steph is too "old" to take the reins. So it think it's Shai. Just based on age, numbers and some flash. But he doesn't have that physical presence of Lebron, and he also doesn't have the flash of Kobe. So it's hard to say. Maybe it becomes a focus on particular teams.