Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #1881
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice start, great goal. Fantastic pass by Lukaku.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #1882
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

De Gea really pisses me off, another deflating mistake. This result feels a lot worse than most of the recent losses ... not making top 4 against these Chelsea and Arsenal teams is pathetic.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #1883
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

About the result you'd expect from two teams who don't want top four. De Gea's calamitous season continues.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #1884
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t get de Gea. The guy was incredible for part of the season and then he blunders like that. It’s strange.

I didn’t see the whole game, but there were at least two really questionable decisions. That seems to be ongoing, in basically every game these days. It’s crazy that the officiating can be as bad as it is though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #1885
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say all you want about De Gea but there are larger problems than him. Calamatous season? Hardly. Yes he's been brutal the last few weeks but hardly reflective of his whole season. He single handedly stole the game from Spurs with as good a display as you'll ever see.
Totally lacklustre lethargic effort coupled with zero creativity. Lukaku's laziness when he walked back then got caught offside twice just a couple of many examples.

Start gutting the team now. As in next game now. Just as SAF inherited a drinking culture there's a culture of entitlement and laziness at the club. Let Phelan have at er.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #1886
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Say all you want about De Gea but there are larger problems than him. Calamatous season? Hardly. Yes he's been brutal the last few weeks but hardly reflective of his whole season. He single handedly stole the game from Spurs with as good a display as you'll ever see.
Totally lacklustre lethargic effort coupled with zero creativity. Lukaku's laziness when he walked back then got caught offside twice just a couple of many examples.

Start gutting the team now. As in next game now. Just as SAF inherited a drinking culture there's a culture of entitlement and laziness at the club. Let Phelan have at er.
I want Nicky beside OGS. Let him and Phelan tear the country club apart.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #1887
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Leeds and villa today was absolute scenes

Bielsa and ebjt going at it on the touchline was like the 3rd craziest thing in the match
Is that accurate that Bielsa directed his team to let Villa equalize?! That’s madness. I saw the highlight of the Leeds goal where the AV players wanted the ball played out for a man down, and that was crazy of course, but I just read that he ordered his players to let them equalize.

ETA: I guess that’s exactly what happened. In seeing it, it’s the right thing to have done, but still crazy. I wonder if that will have a more significant impact also.

Last edited by Slava; 04-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #1888
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leeds and Birmingham are just sick clubs.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #1889
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I want Nicky beside OGS. Let him and Phelan tear the country club apart.
What the hell is your problem? Have you ever even been to a Country Club? They're rather nice and feature excellent amenities.

Leave the Country Club atmosphere alone. Its just fine.

As long as it stays at United. Maybe invite your buddies from City over from time to time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #1890
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is that accurate that Bielsa directed his team to let Villa equalize?! That’s madness. I saw the highlight of the Leeds goal where the AV players wanted the ball played out for a man down, and that was crazy of course, but I just read that he ordered his players to let them equalize.

ETA: I guess that’s exactly what happened. In seeing it, it’s the right thing to have done, but still crazy. I wonder if that will have a more significant impact also.
Bamford dove to draw the red.

That Leeds trash better get suspended.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #1891
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so the "Young Player of the Year 2019" is a guy who's 24 and made his PL debut in March 2012. Yeah, makes sense.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #1892
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah they gotta lower that to being 21 or under at the start of the year, Wan-Bissaka not even getting nominated is criminal. Also think Bernardo Silva was better than Sterling, not slighting Sterling or anything but Bernardo is just insane to watch, elite skill and elite effort level.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #1893
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Bamford dove to draw the red.

That Leeds trash better get suspended.
As a Norwich supporter, I like Bamford, even if he's on the Leeds payroll. But that was a terrible embellishment. Regardless, Leeds completely soiled their bedding at the end of the season which took some pressure off of Norwich, but I could still see them making it in the playoffs. Would rather see pretty much anyone else claim that third promotion spot instead of them though, so if they missed out entirely, I'd be OK with that.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-29-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #1894
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently United is considering Rio Ferdinand for technical director: https://www.theguardian.com/football...box=1556631327

Someone on twitter made the point that this is an enormous business with huge revenue, and it's a crazy way to make appointments. He has no actual experience in the role, or training or anything else. Sports are just weird that way though.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #1895
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

What experience would he need with training? Phelan's name is out there also but I'd prefer to see him stay on pitch at Carrington. Repeating myself but things all went south the moment Moyes decided to not retain him.

What sort of individual would you suggest over him? A non player with more business experience? An ex scout? Ex agent? He knows the set up. He knows the personnel. And he's motivated by a genuine desire to succeed and do best by the club.

What experience had Overmars when he became Ajax dof? Or van der Sar? Except knowing football and knowing what the club needed, and having the best interests of the club at heart?

If I'm reading it (hopefully) right they're following the Ajax model and to a certain extent what worked for them in the past by identifying players in the youth system, working on them and getting them through. Too many dime a dozen 20-30m transfers that then have to be played to justify the fee at the expense of development.

First ex player they should be sitting down with and asking for advice is van der Sar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #1896
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What experience would he need with training? Phelan's name is out there also but I'd prefer to see him stay on pitch at Carrington. Repeating myself but things all went south the moment Moyes decided to not retain him.

What sort of individual would you suggest over him? A non player with more business experience? An ex scout? Ex agent? He knows the set up. He knows the personnel. And he's motivated by a genuine desire to succeed and do best by the club.

What experience had Overmars when he became Ajax dof? Or van der Sar? Except knowing football and knowing what the club needed, and having the best interests of the club at heart?

If I'm reading it (hopefully) right they're following the Ajax model and to a certain extent what worked for them in the past by identifying players in the youth system, working on them and getting them through. Too many dime a dozen 20-30m transfers that then have to be played to justify the fee at the expense of development.

First ex player they should be sitting down with and asking for advice is van der Sar.
It's not even something that I would profess to know who they should be appointing, and it's not even just a "United thing" as we see this across a lot of sports. But past players who were good at the game aren't necessarily good at these associated roles. It's crazy (to me) that these multi-billion dollar organizations put players into these spots on the basis that they were good at the game and seemingly little else. It doesn't mean it can't work, or won't work here, it just seems crazy.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #1897
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When do they appoint Phil Jones as Chief Medic?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #1898
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine that will happen around the same time as Liverpool appoint Dalglish as Let's fight racism ambassador.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #1899
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the question is what the job description would be like. If you look at the directors of football/technical directors/whatever at the big European clubs, you'll see a lot of differences. Just look at Salihamidzic at Bayern, who - by design - is a mere puppet for Hoeneß and Rummenigge. Then you have clubs like Man City, where the DoF primarily caters to Guardiola ... and at other clubs the DoF really runs the show. So I think it's difficult to say "person X is unqualified for the job as technical director" without really knowing what the tasks would be.

Would I like Ferdinand to be in charge of transfer business? Oh hell no. But I doubt that would be his duties anyway - a) because Woodward is not going to hand that over completely and b) it looks more like United are gunning for a committee approach. Over the last few weeks and months, British media have critised United at every corner for "losing their identity" - and I do think they want to get some of that back. And you know what, I'm fine with having guys like Ferdinand or Fletcher back at the club in some capacity. I certainly prefer them to the class of 92, that's for sure ... Butt is the only one of them that I'd want in the club and he already is. I agree with Bagor that it's better to keep Phelan on the training ground, his experience there is way too valuable.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #1900
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Paul Pogba will be forced to take a pay cut if he leaves Manchester United for Real Madrid this summer, as sources have told ESPN FC that the Spanish club are not prepared to match his £290,000-a-week Old Trafford wages.
http://global.espn.com/football/socc...madrid-sources

No kidding. For that kind of money expectations would be a lot higher.